Status: Active

Phantom Horse

Chapter 13

I woke up to a grump voice hollering out, "Wake of ye damn horses!"

I snorted and looked out into the light of the day as the grumpy old man quickly filled up my box of oats and water and when he left I made my way over and munched slowly on the delicious oats that were way better than the the ones at the other place. As I munched on the oats I watched as the daily barn stable hands cleaned up stalls, washed tack, fed the horses, exercised them, whatever they normally did.

I couldn't help but wonder what was happening Aaron or where Ballad was and how my herd was. I hope that Ginger would stop by and make sure everything is all okay but knowing her she'll be all worried and then she'd try to call me and end up getting even more worried since my phones on my night stand. It's not like I can magically transform in front of these people and talk on a cell phone or carry my cell. It'd be against our laws and stopping time is a major one so I can't meddle with it to escape.

I sighed and then lowered my head and leaned it against the bars of my stall door when I heard soft footsteps making their way down the barn hallway. I peeked through slits of my eyes and saw a girl dressed in faded denim pants a red and white plaid shirt with brown leather boots and a brown cowboy hat with her shoulder length blond hair that was tied in a braid, she was walking down the rows her eyes searching for something. As she grew closer and closer I was more and more curious she gave off that nice personality but you can tell she was someone strict so I had an idea of what her job was...

And my answer was correct when her eyes landed on me. Her eyes widened and she looked like she sucked in her breath as she came closer to my stall and looked me over from the outside. Our eyes met then she quickly assessed me again like she was trying to figure out my weak points and I bet she was doing exactly that or something that was close to that cause I knew that I was her next job. Breaking me...

I inhaled and raised my head high, I stepped away from the stable door and cocked my head at her and snorted as I shook my head a little giving her the best look that showed she was crazy enough to even think about it. I backed away from the front of the stables and to the back. The girl looked at me like I was odd and never seen something like me before. Yes that is true I'm not like most horses. I'm a unicorn and sadly you can't know that nor ever know it unless someone you were connected with the magical world or well got approved and for me I feel bad that i never told Ginger.

She reached for the stall latch and I brought my lip up over my teeth and bared then as well as giving off a warning. I laid my ears back a little and she started making hushing noises as she slowly opened up the stall. I reared and pawed at the air in front of me and lunged towards her trying to scare her away and not hurt her. Hoping she would accidentally leave the stable door open. She jumped back while slamming the door closed and the latch slammed back down. I snorted and shook my head. Mentally cursing myself.

I watched the girl as she went back for the latch and I pounced forwards which made her jump back and squeak. Then I heard another man's voice, "Clara? Are you okay?"

"Yeah Roger I'm fine. It's just this horse isn't like the rest. She's somewhat different than the rest of them." Clara spoke softly to the guy that came up beside her and peeked into my stall.

The guys eyes traveled on me like he was checking me out, but of course I look like a horse so I'm going to be treated like one. And that's just what people usually do when looking at a horse to buy or sell. He spoke up after a little bit, "Yeah she ain't what the the other's had talked about. She's a beauty at that."

"She sure is. The only fact is... How do ya get her outta her stall?" She said while in thought.

I just rolled my eyes watched them while they were thinking of a way to get me out of my stall. The girl Clara opened up the upper half of the stall door where the bars were and grabbed the tack from the hanging tack just outside my stall and dashed inside without me know how she got in and slipped the halter on and dashed back out of the stall to leave me speechless.

I can't believe I was lost up in thought that she got it on me. I looked at the rope then at the girl smiling like she just lasso'd her first cattle. I snorted in disbelief and she proudly opened up the stall and started walking towards what I think would be a corral or something.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It had been 2 weeks since I was captured. I had seen Ballad through the fence which they learned I could jump so they put me in a field with high fences and I chatted with him every once in a while but he'd always go and watch my home and my heard for me and tell me how they were doing and tell them how I was. I missed my home. I missed Ginger. I even miss the multiplication. Ha, not. But they've been trying to break me but they haven't even gotten close to putting a scratch in it yet. I knew I was going to be here for a while so I had Ballad meet with a friend I knew and he acted as my dad and called the school. Apparently I knew that I was around the age at my school where every knew I was 17 years old, not yet 18. So I knew I had to have a guardian and I knew who that would be.. Jake.

I laid under the shadiest tree in the pasture I was in and munching on juicy red apples as I heard footsteps, my ears twitched to the side I heard the sound from. So I looked over in that direction and saw that the guy Roger was coming. Confused I lifted myself up off the ground. Normally they tried working me early in the mornings and the afternoons and they were normally together. After that it was normally I was either in a stall or her and the only one's I really saw were the stable hands who fed and gave me watered. I still wouldn't let them wash me either.

When he got closer I saw he had something in his hand but I could not quite see it from here. I kind of surrenedered into just letting them attach the rope cord and the halter or a blanket or two but I would not allow a bridle. I refuse to have those nasty cold bits in my mouth.They can deal with out them for all I care. I'll allow that much, that's about it.

When he came up in front of me he clipped the lead rope onto my halter and pulled me back the way he came and for some odd reason he was wobbly. I sniffed at him and he smelled like alcohal. I quickly lifted my head to get away from the stale smell and snorted. Jake finally spoke up, "Ye damn horse needs to be broken. Clara's too nice on you to brake ye damn legs."

I gave hima a little warning sound and he turned around sharply and smacked me in the cheek. I let out a soft whimper as the spot started to pulse. He dragged me forward and into the place where they do rodeos at and shoved me into the little confined place and I didn't like it at all. I squirmed to see what the hell he was doing and thats when I saw a fe guys with arm loads of tack and beer. I reared up and let out a warning and all they did was laugh. My ears went flat back and I bared my teeth at them the best I could since my head was turned sideways a little.

They climbed up the metal fence and they shoved a saddle on my back as two men held my neck so I couldn't move. They buckled up the saddle and then grabbed my halter and shoved a bridal on over my head. One guy grabbed my muzzle and yanke my jaw open and a little whimper came out. They all just laughed at me and shoved the cold hard metal into my mouth. I didn't know what to do.. There were too many drunk guys. I was trapped for right now and even when they did get on me and try to break me I still couldn't excape. Well... Not with out using magic. And I don't know any spell to erase people's minds. Even if so the only way I would is if life depended on it...