Status: Active

Phantom Horse

Chapter 4

Trotting in and out between the trees me and Ginger guided Cloud and Star Fire through the thick and thin bushes. Ginger didn't want to take the easy trails so we decided on going through some of the over grown ones. Laughing as Ginger struggled to get past the branches that got in her way she was also laughing. I was nearly in tears having to watch her whack away the branches when all she had to do was hold them then move forward.

I heard Ballad's yips as he followed us. He thought it'd be nice to tag along and watch what humans do besides hunt and harm them. He also thought he could warn us if any danger came are way. Normally I had Cloud with the herd when I wasn't around but right now I was riding him which I occasionally do for fun and when I go horse back riding with Ginger. I know it sounds weird. A Unicorn riding on top of a horse. Ha-ha. Very weird. But after a while it didn't seem to bother me. I rode occasionally with my other horses so just in case I did have some friends they could ride.

I heard water and knew we were getting closer to Crescent Springs. Me and Ginger would come out here and set up a tent to sleep in and camp out here for the weekend with the horses surrounding us. She also would bring her dog Macho Man for some protection. He was a black Labrador Retriever. The only other color that was different about him was his light grey eyes and pink tongue. Ginger had thought to bring him but then she thought she shouldn't, she didn't want to introduce him to him just yet.

When we neared the water Ginger slowly lowered herself off of Star Fire and brought her reigns over the horses head as she lead her towards the river and crouched down running her fingers through the cold river water. I chuckled as I slowly lowered myself off of Cloud and onto the ground. Touching the ground with my feet I slid the reigns over his head and lead him towards the icy cold water. I kneeled down next to the water and laid it on the slippery stones. Closing my eyes I listened to the nature surrounding us. Off in the distance there were some birds chirping, squirrels’ chattering, and I could hear the sound of the horse’s hooves hitting the ground as they lapped at the icy cool water from their little gallop through the trees.

I inhaled the fresh air around me not wanting to say anything to break the peace and quiet around us. I opened my eyes and looked at Ginger who was slowly and gently waving her hand in the water and watching a few orange and brown leaves float down the little river. I looked around me at the trees which were losing their leaves. This only meant one thing. Winter. I couldn't wait. I hate the cold, but I love the snow. It makes it easier to get around without being seen. That's one thing they got right. I only come out once a year in the winter, where my coat matches the snow. Makes me invisible to humans and makes it an easier get a way.

Smiling I got up and turned towards Cloud as I rubbed his grey muzzle. Like me Cloud is all white besides he has a grey muzzle. We could almost call each other twins besides the fact that I'm a unicorn. I let out a deep sigh as I looked at Ginger. She's like the closest friend I've had in years, but I still can't trust her with everything. I don't even know how she'll react...

I heard a soft yip and turned my head to see Ballad jogging softly and slowly towards us. I smiled as he came over to me and Cloud, "It's so peaceful here. So close to winter."

I chuckled softly and kneeled as I whispered, "Yeah, one of my favorite seasons besides summer. Besides the cold."

"Ah, I do agree. Winter isn't my biggest fan though. I'll be all cozy and warm next to the fire place." He yipped cheerfully.

"I'm sure you will be. I have no problem with that." I whispered back.

Ballad gave me a toothy grin as he trotted over to Ginger who was just enjoying the scenery like I was a few seconds ago. She looked down to see Ballad and smiled as she kneeled down to pet him behind the ears. I smiled seeing that she got along great with Ballad. She shares the same happiness. Like me she loves nature. And all the colors surrounding her. I took a deep inhale and said softly so I wouldn't break the peace, "Ready to go Gin?"

Her eyes met mine as she smiled at me, "Ready when you are Luna."

I chuckled as I lifted my leg into the stirrup and hefted myself up and firmly into the saddle. Cloud arched his neck and pranced in place as we waited for Ginger to heave herself up onto the saddle of Star Fire. Who neighed happily; ready for the ride back. For wild horses they seem like ordinary house broken horses. But no. They're much different than any ordinary horses. They're wild. They're just kind enough to allow me and my friends want to ride as long as they don't pull and jerk and let them at least have some head to lead their own path here and there. I agreed so I told Ginger that the horses would like to have their own head sometimes. I glanced at Ginger as she quietly said beside me, "Wouldn't it be cool to talk to animals?"

Chuckling slightly, "Wouldn't that be great."

"Sometimes I think animals have a lot more to say than we think we do." She sighed out as she stared at Star Fire and Cloud.

I heard Cloud and Star Fire knicker at the same time, "If only she knew."

I patted Cloud, "They do. You just need to know their body language. By the way they act or sound. Move or react to something. You can always tell when they want something if you look and pay attention."

I saw her eyes glance back at me and I could tell she was in thought. When she turned her head to look at me, "Can you?"

I took a deep breath to try and calm myself, "Uh. Well, I don't know... I just kind of go with my gut on what I think they want."

"Oh..." She breathed.

I just nodded as we walked closer and closer to my house. I caught a mischievous glint in my eye as I looked over at Ginger and it seemed to take her a little to finally take in that I was eyeing her mischievously. Her eyebrow rose, "What are you planning?"

I smiled, "Race ya?"

A grin spread across her face, "You're on girl."

I let out a chuckle as I made a clicking sound and Cloud took off into a canter as did Ginger on Star Fire. I stood up but crouched down as I leaned in closer to the saddled to where my face was next to Cloud's mane and clicked twice and Cloud picked up into a fast pacing gallop. I was saving the rest of his strength towards the end. That's where Ginger fails. She uses all the speed in the middle and tires the horses out. Yes I love to watch horse racing shows even if I think its animal cruelty. I saw my house coming into view behind some trees and I saw Fire Star's head coming into view of the corner of my eye. I could feel the fast rhythm of the hooves hitting the ground in sync. Making a beautiful sound. I wanted to run so bad. I wanted to feel the air in my mane and my tail and let it go flying. I wanted to feel the breeze around me. If I closed my eyes I could just imagine. But I knew I couldn't for I didn't want to change in front of her. I heard Star Fire's beat pick up and knew that Ginger was pushing her forward. I just waited as she pulled forward an inch or two in front of us and Cloud was snorting not wanting another horse to beat him. Even if he knew that I never lost. Well I and he never did. We wound through the trees in our path and I clicked three times and I could feel the power surging through him. I could feel his breath start to come out faster. He snorted as I let him have more of his head and he picked up a faster gallop and quickly caught up with Ginger and Star Fire. Head to head. Side by side. I leaned even closer as we neared my house and Cloud went full out. I could see that Star Fire was giving way slowly but that doesn't mean she might have extra fight in her. Cloud inched further ahead of Star Fire every second. That's when I knew we won.

I started to tug on the reigns and Cloud slowed down slowly but surely as we walked right towards the stall. Ginger was shaking her head at me. She kind of hated that I always won. I sometimes let her win but I usually picked another horse to ride when I did though. Cloud was too fast and dominating that he wouldn't even take a little loss. I walked over to the metal fence and slid off and onto the fence and started un-tacking Cloud. Once I was finished Cloud took off and shook his head back and forth. He was all worked up from the race and was trying to get out all of his spunk.

Ginger walked over to me arms crossed and a pout on her face, "No fair. You always win. And I know that the times that I do win is because you let me win."

My eyebrow rose, "No. I simply had another horse besides Cloud. I know Cloud's ethics. I don't know all my horses’ ethics Gin. How can I help it. You almost always pick the same horse. Besides I've finally let you ride the horse you wanted. But you still haven't won. Maybe if you try and change up the way you race you maybe just might win."

She pouted as she looked up at the sky which was growing dark and sighed, "I should get going. It's going to get dark soon and I really want to get home before it's too dark to see out. I hate driving in the dark."

"Awe, okay Ginger. Well thank you for everything and I really enjoyed our little ride." I smiled at her as I walked her to the door and hugged her.

She hugged back, "Bye Luna. Bye Ballad. Be careful in these woods."

Ginger quickly crouched and patted Ballad between the ears and Ballad let out a little yip as if agreeing with her. She smiled and quickly straightened up. She sighed and turned around as she walked to her car and got inside her car as she waved goodbye at me and turned around and headed out down the little dirt road towards the main road.