Status: Active

Phantom Horse

Chapter 6

After school I and Ginger parted our separate ways. I inhaled deeply and let out a puff of white escaped between my lips. Winter was on its way. It’s almost time to start to prepare to look for new horses to free from the abuse of their owners. It wasn't easy, even if I was white like the snow. My myth around here is known much more than anywhere else. This means taking desperate measure's to keep me and my herd safe while I take action. I told my herd if they didn't want to do anything they didn't have to. They all agreed that they would be there to help me. They distracted the owners while I slipped away with some of their horses. I know it's not right to take their horses. But it's my job to create a peace where I have to start new wild herds in for which more to come. Knowing humans they capture us and either sell us, abuse us, race us, or send us to the horse slaughter. And I will not let that happen.

I heard the cars that passed me along my way and I saw Matt's truck pass me but he seemed to be going slower than most. I wondered if he was thinking of stopping. I just shook my head and kept walking with my head held high. I took out my little mp3 player and slid my ear pieces into my ears and turned on my music. Slowly turning it up a little higher each time until it was just right to make sure I didn't ruin my hearing. I closed my eyes and listened to the rhythm of my feet as I walked closer and closer to my home. I knew I should keep my eyes open as I walk but I stayed right next to the road so I knew I didn't stray far. I recognized the many streets until mine came around.

I opened my eyes and walked down the roadway to my house. Once it came into view a smile spread across my lips at the familiar site of my home. Well one of them. I saw my herd poking out from behind my house. Then I saw a flash of red and Ballad trotted out towards me. I smiled and bent down to pat his head, "Hey there bud. How was your day?"

His chest admitted a purr like sound and rumble, "It was boring, but it was okay."

I smiled down at him, "That's good. Ginger's really excited to bring her dog Macho Man here but I told her to give you some time to settle. If you want I can call her and tell her that I changed my mind if you want?"

"I'd love to meet him. Just I agree with your first idea. It's still different living with a human that's not quite human at all." He yipped as he wagged his puffy reddish-orange tail.

I laughed at what he said and stood up. Walking the rest of the way to the house and digging through my bag to find my key. I pulled them out and stuck them into the keyhole and listened as the clicking sound came and I turned the doorknob and walked inside closing the door behind me after letting Ballad slip through. As I walked past my couch and set my backpack and bag on it and walked out the back and greeted my herd as they came forward nickering and pushing their muzzles into me.

I walked over to the usual stall and stripped down and set my clothes neatly on the shelf above and transformed. Feeling myself grow and spread. My skin turned into short white stubble-like hair and my blond hair grew longer and turned pure white. My tail swayed back and forth as I felt the slight pain of my bones getting bigger and longer inside me. My hands and feet were replaced with tan black gray hooves that made a click as it hit the ground. I pranced out of the stall and into the open with my herd and neighed as I reared. I love the air around me and the nature. It was peaceful and refreshing. I took off in between the trees in a soft slow gallop. Letting my hooves hitting the ground rhythmically match up with the beat of my heart. Which was growing faster and faster the more I galloped through the forest with Ballad right next to me and my herd behind me.

I made my way back in the direction of my little cabin house and plopped myself on the ground and rolled onto my back and kicking my feet up in the air. I was to busy enjoying the feel of the leaves and the air getting colder as night came slowly to notice someone walked slowly around my house until I heard Ballad growl and flatten his ears and my herd neighed shrilly and backed away. I quickly rolled back onto my stomach and stood up. I bared my teeth at him and flattened my ears. I looked at him and was shocked to see Matt standing there just staring back at me with shock filled eyes. Ballad growled at him and Matt looked at him wide-eyed and I quickly made my horn disappear. I looked at Ballad and neighed, "Don't harm him. I know him."

He looked at me a little bit surprised and backed away but still held a cautioned stance, "Okay."

I looked back to Matt who was looking at me confused. I knew he was battling himself over the fact that he had just seen a horn in the middle of my forehead just a second ago. He took a hesitant step trying not to spook me. His eyes flickered towards Ballad then back towards me. He took another step forward so I took a step backwards. I didn't know what to do. Should I just stay here and let him come closer or should I take my herd and move them away? Or should I run off around the house and sneak in through one of the windows? He finally said something very softly, "I know you probably don't know what I'm saying but I'll be right back. I need to get something."

I tilted my head to the side and lowered my head down the back up as if nodding my head. He turned around slowly and started walking back to his truck. I took a tentative step forward and then followed him cautiously before I rounded the house I looked back at my herd and told them to stay where they're at and shrill out a warning if you see something suspicious. I walked slowly towards the front as I heard a car door open up. Rounding the other corner and into the front I saw Matt next to his truck and reaching inside for something. I stopped a few feet away from him and waited for him to turn around.

He held something red in his hand as he turned around and jumped when he saw me. I stretched my head forward and sniffed to see if I couldn't figure out the object in his hand. It smelled kind of fruity. I twitched my ears and shook my head letting out a snort. He had his hand clutched to his heart as I heard his racing heart beat slow down a steadily. I could sense he was startled a bit then started to relax once he knew it was just me. The horse. He looked behind me as if to see my herd but quirked his eyebrow in confusion, "Is your herd still back there?"

I let out a sarcastic whinny and snorted at what he said and lifted my right leg and pawed at the ground while I craned my neck. He laughed as he brought out what was behind him. It was an apple; I stretched my neck and sniffed at it and looked up at him to see if he meant any harm but his face and mood were the same. Caring; like he loved animals. I took a hesitant step forward and quickly looked up at Matt to see if he had any flickering emotion. I looked back at the apple and took another step and stretched my neck towards it; yes I knew Matt but I didn't know what he'd do to animals or what his feelings would be since I kind of humiliated him at school.