Status: Active

Phantom Horse

Chapter 9

The buckskin stallion in front of me pawed at the air in front of himself trying to scare me so I would back up in the trap. For some reason this horse liked his owner. He looked like a high and mighty, well treated horse. I reared up on my hind legs and pawed out towards him but not far enough to even clip him. I snorted and shook my head as I bared my teeth. I quickly tilted my head sideways so I could see the humans behind me and saw they were trying to figure out the best way to catching me. The most recent thoughts running through my head were asking my self if I'd be able to make it out this time or will I actually get caught. It's not like I can't figure my way to escape, I'm a freaking Unicorn with magical powers.

I bared my teeth and flattened my ears back, I showed him I meant business but wasn't looking for a fight and went back down to all fours right before he did. I lashed out at him just to scare him so he'd move so I could flee away from here. The Buckskin stallion lunged towards me not afraid I dodged and quickly leaped out into the open and started to gallop towards the fence separating me from the open fields of freedom. I heard hoof beats pounding on the ground making a slight shake to the ground. I turned my head and saw the Buckskin stallion at my rear and another horse with a rider.

I snorted and tried to build up the stamina to make the jump over the fence and lengthened my strides, when I got closer I kicked off the ground and launched myself over the old fading brown fence. My back hooves just barely made their way over the fence in a rush I landed on my front hooves and brought my back hooves to the ground and picked up my gallop as to put further distances away from my pursuers. I raced towards the cover of woods but I felt the ground vibrate still and looked back slightly to see they were still behind me. I didn't even notice until now that some of the guys on the horses were catching up. I saw the quick moment of something in his hand and tried to get the best view of it as I possibly could until I saw tan string-like thing swirling in the air and my eyes went wide. It couldn't be! No! I'm too close in range. He twirled the lasso around and tossed. I let out a fearful whinny and changed my direction as fast as possible and lengthened my stride as I bunched up the power in my legs and launched myself into a faster pace. I didn't know until it hit me, I was so concentrated on picking up stamina and speed that I forgot to watch out for the flying lasso.

The lasso made it's way over my head and in front of my face, I couldn't move my direction quick enough as my head went right into the loop. I let out a shrill cry and was choked to a stop as the guy holding the rope on the other horse had wrapped the rope around the horn on the saddle and was holding the end as he slowed his horse to a stop and pulled back to stop me. I shook my head to get off the ridiculous thing and bucked. No use. I pulled on the taught rope as he clicked his teeth and tapped the horses sides with his brown weathered cowboy boots making the horse turn around and head back. I pulled against the rope not wanting to budge so I just plopped on to my hind quarters and let out a huff.

I hear the guy grumble out, "How can a horse be so smart?"

I snorted at his comment and laid down on my stomach and I watched his scruffy bottom jaw drop in shock and confusion. I felt like sticking my tongue out at him but of course I didn't since when do horses stick their tongues out at people? So instead I just flattened my ears and bared my teeth at the man. He spit out a wad of saliva and grumbled to himself. I saw movement in my peripherals and looked to see some horses and riders galloping our way. I mentally kicked myself for getting my self in this shit. I normally I'm so careful.

I heard their voices and the ground vibrating as they made a final stop by us and the owner on a horse looking at me in awe and shocked and then he looked up at the man holding the rope that surrounded my neck, "Jake, good job man. Let's bring her back now."

"I can't. She won't budge." The man called Jake said.

The old scrawny gray haired guy looked at me then back at Jake, probably trying to think of the best way to get me back to the stables on his farm. The huffed and turned back to his guys and said, "Throw more of ye rope on her and drag her back home. Try not to scratch her up to bad because she'd make a fine amount of cash."

I snorted and lifted myself onto my hooves and bared my teeth at him. There was no way in hell that this cheap poor old geezer is going to take me back and sell me just for money. I flattened my ears and stomped my front hoof and looked at him. His eyebrow raised as some of the guys behind he walked around him and his horse and through a rope on me. There was no use in trying to get away now. I had 4 ropes around my neck 2 on each sides and both tied to horses.

I let them lead me back to his farm and to his old slowly decapitating barn. I let out a sad sigh and let them lead me into a barn. Not the same one from when I let his horses out but a finer more kept one. Like for when he was selling horses or keeping his best horses. When I looked at the stalls as I passed by there weren't many horses in here but they all looked particularly kept groomed and good for selling or some sort of sport. They lead me to a perfectly clean stable that smelled freshly made like it was just made for me, like they were waiting for me.

They stopped on the sides of it and surrounded me, the guy who caught me pulled out his knife and cut the rope and also slapping me in the hind quarters which made me jump forward frightened and before I knew it they slammed and locked the stable door, sliding the metal bars in front as well. I quickly turned around and reared in my stall and slammed my hooves into the stable door making a nice hoof mark sliding down as my front hooves made their way down back to the cement covered in straw.

I huffed and leaned my body against the side of the boxed stall. Thankfully there was a lot of room. I kept my head low as and just watched as all the workers around the farm went around their usually daily jobs but everyone once in a while a little group would surround my stall. Of course everyone wants to see the new wild white mare they caught who not only made it's way onto their farm but let loose a few horses and managed to escape the property not only just to get caught.

*later on*

I must have dosed off because I awoke to a noise that sounded close and I flicked my ears toward that direction as I lifted my head and opened my sleep filled eyes to see where the noise was coming from and what it was. There was nothing in my stall, wait stall? Why am I in a stall? A closed stall? I looked around and quickly moved towards the stable door and looked out. Then everything that happened yesterday happened. I got caught, and locked up in a stall possibly to get sold by some random buyer who offers a huge amount of cash. This person could live far away if willing to get their hands on a wild white tempestuous mare.

I looked out as best as I could through the metal bars, squishing my head against the cold metal I looked down the aisle and just barely made out the shape of a person making their way out of a horses stall on the other side just a few or so stables away. Once he made it to my stall he looked at me with soft sky blue eyes that were full of awe, fear, admiration, and some other emotions. I backed up to the corner of my stall not wanting to be near him yet not afraid of him. He slowly opened up the bars so he could slip the sack that he carried. I watched him carefully poor the grains in the food bin as he spoke softly, "It's okay girl, I'm not going to harm you. I'll be back in a few to feel up your water after I finish up with the other horses."

I looked at him like he was crazy, did he really expect me to know what the hell he was saying. Apparently not. He smiled a little bit and pulled out an apple and set it on the food bin and slowly closed the bars and walked away, glancing at me one last time before he walked away. After a minute or two I walked over to the grain and sniffed at it. Nothing smelled off or the least bit wrong. I sniffed at the apple and the juicy fruity smell wavered in my nostrils like a delicacy of flavors. I nearly moaned in delight and bit into the crispy fresh apple and munched on it and swallowed the tangy fruit and closed my eyes. When I opened them I went onto munching on my oats and grains. The taste of wheat a crunchiness together.