Status: Active! Comment & Subscribe! : )

Can't Let Go

Black

With a heavy sigh, Olivia's head fell into her open text book, her long strands of hair slipping from the messy bun atop of her head fanning out around her. A groan leaves her mouth, her head pounding as numbers, formulas, and equations swarm her every thought.

"Morning sunshine."

Olivia grunts in response, not even bothering to lift up her head.

"If you don't have a steaming hot cup of coffee with you, then walk away."

"Well my dear, you happen to be in luck."

Her head lifs off the book reluctantly, the steaming cup of Dunkin Doughnuts coffee sitting just in her view. Eagerly she reaches for the styrofoam cup and takes a small sip, ignoring the burning sensation the heat of the coffee causes, greedily taking in the caffeine.

"How would I survive without you, Jer?" She sighs, cradling the drink in her hands.

"I'm not so sure you would, Liv." He responds and smiles at her, leaning back in the rickety library chair, his arms crossing behind his head.

"Just barely." Olivia throws her head back dramatically with an exasperated sigh. Jeremy shakes his head with a smirk as he takes the cup from her hands, moving to take a sip. Her hands reach out in a flash, nearly ripping the coffee from his grasp.

"Hey! I paid for that. At least let me have a sip."

"You don't even like coffee," Olivia reminds him, raising a single eyebrow.

"I do so. But you drink it black and that tastes like shit. The only people who drink their coffee black are stingy lawyers and broke prostitutes, Liv."

"Well then buy me pant suits and stick me on a street corner because I only drink my coffee black, okay?"

"Let me have some."

Olivia hugs the coffee to her chest, shaking her head with a stern look. "No way; get your own."

"Technically, that is mine."

"Jeremy."

"Olivia."

"No."

"I bought it!"

"For me!"

"I just want to try it! Don't be selfish!"

"God, fine. One sip, and not a drop more."

Jeremy scoffs but accepts the drink from her anyway as she reluctantly passes it his way, sending her a cheeky grin before raising the cup to his lips and taking a gulp. He grimaces, fake gagging and passes it back to her, shaking his head.

"That tastes like shit."

"You wanted to try it. Did you learn your lesson?"

"Yes mom," Jeremy smirks, leaning back in his chair once more.

"Good."

Olivia takes another mouthful of her precious caffeine before placing the cup on the desk and pushing it to the side. She tucks a bit of fallen hair behind her ear and pulls her AP Calculous book forward, looking over the page of formulas once more.

"Why don't you take a break?"

"I can't. I have a test tomorrow and if I fail it...well, I'll just be disappointed in myself, I suppose."

"It's just a test, Liv."

Olivia shakes her head, highlighting important words in the book. "Not all of us can just sing our way to a future."

"You can do anything you set your mind to."

"Thanks for the inspiration Dr. Phil, but I sound like dying pigmee when I sing."

Jeremy's laugh echoes throughout the silent library, Olivia smiling at her book despite herself as he leans forward towards her, shaking his head. The librarian just steps away sends him a glare and a stern warning, silencing him just a little.

"You're not that bad, I promise. Maybe one day I'll feature you on one of our albums - if we're ever signed, obviously."

"You will be, Jer. No doubt. You guys have raw talent. If no one signs you, well then, fuck them."

Jeremy smiles over at Olivia, though it goes unnoticed to her as she remains focused on her studying. It was a rare thing for her to curse, though because he and his friends did it on an every other word basis constantly around her, it's rubbed off. It never sounded right though coming from her small, pink lips, almost foreign on such an innocent girl. She was everything they weren't - polite, modest, a dedicated student. She was the only part of their life, other than music, that was serious and focused. There was so many things that made Olivia perfect in Jeremy's eyes - from the crease that formed just between her eyebrows when she was thinking hard, to the way she'd hum non-existent tunes all the time, to the way she strives to please others and did nothing but believe in the hope of everyone else. Things didn't come easy to her, and he often found himself wondering how she was so, well, perfect, even when things in her life were so broken.

"You know what? Screw calculus."

"God, I was hoping you'd say that! How does lunch sound? It's already 2 p.m. and I haven't eaten yet. My stomach is about to eat itself."

"Well, I'm sure you only woke up an hour ago," Olivia smirked, sending Jeremy a knowing look as she began to pack away her books.

Jeremy shrugs, "I don't know what you're talking about Liv. I went to bed at 9 p.m. like a good little boy." The doubtful snort leaves her mouth immediately after his words, and he chuckles, knowing that she's aware that he's lying straight through his teeth.

Jeremy grabs her back pack just as she's about to put it on her shoulders, earning a grateful smile from her. He throws his arm over her small shoulders, guiding her out of the library after she picks up her coffee cup.

"Just think, Liv. After this year, we're done with school. Then it's peace out rules and curfews and hello parties and road trips."

"I can't even think that far ahead. We still have three months of school left, and until I take my very last test, I will continue to be stressed out."

"Well, then I'll just have to destress you, won't I?" Jeremy gives Olivia's shoulders a comforting squeeze, looking down at her with a smile.

He guides her over to his truck, throwing her backpack in the back as she climbs into the passenger seat before jumping in himself.

"How does Taco Bell sound?"

"Like heaven."

On the way over to Olivia's favorite fast food place, Jeremy fills her in on all she's missed this past week. While she's been burying herself in textbooks and study guides, preparing for finals, Jeremy and the rest of the guys have been busy writing songs and preparing for their meeting with a major record label coming up in the next few days. Olivia listened intently, completely mesmerized by just how popular her boys are quickly becoming. Anyone could easily see how dedicated they all were to the band, just as easy as it is to recognize the spark of proudness in Olivia's eyes as she watches Jeremy tell her about all their new songs.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to look at another taco for the rest of my life." Jeremy's hands rest on his full stomach, his head lulling back and his eyes closing.

Olivia's giggle makes him smile, despite the nauseous feeling the 12 tacos he scarfed down were making him feel. His lifts his head and looks over at her as she smiles at him, gently chewing at her Iced Tea straw as always, a nasty habit she picked up when she was young.

"You finished a dozen tacos before I even took 1 bite of my burrito. There's something wrong with that....no, wait, there's something wrong with you."

He shakes his head, poking her nose and chuckling as she scrunches it up, bating away his finger. "It's not my fault you eat so slow."

"I eat like a normal human being, unlike some of us who just inhale our food."

"Sorry Liv, I just can't help it. I'm a growing boy, ya know?"

Olivia rolled her eyes, but sent Jeremy a small, almost secretive smile, which he took in for all it's worth. It was moments like this that Olivia loved; when she just sitting around with her best friend, or friends if the other guys came too, and enjoying life. It wasn't often that she was able to let her mind wonder off of school work, for the simple reason being that school was her only way out of her situation, which was on the complete opposite spectrum from ideal. Jeremy loved these private moments with Olivia, and not because it gave him a chance to get his mind off things - in fact he liked everything that occupied his mind. But it was because she was his best friend and without her, he'd have no one to keep him level headed and calm, or to encourage him when he felt like things were falling apart. He loved Olivia, more than a friend on some days, and he couldn't help but wish that the end of the school year would never come. Because when it did, she'd go away to college and he'd, hopefully, be off touring with the guys. He was confident in their friendship, but that didn't mean that hours and days spent without her weren't going to be a struggle.

"Jeremy! Earth to Jeremy! Are you in there?" Olivia leaned over, and knocked on Jeremy's head, a laugh leaving her lips as he grabbed her hand before she hit him again. "You okay McKinnon? You were spacing off on me."

"I'm fine Presley, I just zoned out. Wanna go back to my place and watch some movies?"

"Do you think your mom will bake me some cookies?"

Jeremy laughed, tossing some money on the table and sliding out of the booth. "You know she will for you." He grabbed Olivia's hand, entwining their fingers and pulled her from her seat, enjoying the moment and hoping it would never end.