Status: Active

I'll Be Waiting up Counting the Stars

Janie's On The Run

I shifted uncomfortably in the church pew, waiting for this to be over. There are probably a million other places I'd rather be than my sister's wedding. Don't get me wrong, I love Alex, but family weddings suck. I'm related to all the bridesmaids, and I have yet to see a hot, single guest... Until now.

She was sitting on the bride's side, so she must know Alex. I don't recognize her though. She looks like she's around Alex's age. Maybe they went to school together or something.

I tried not to stare, but damn, she's beautiful. She stood out from the rest for some reason. Her dress was pale pink and sheer, and she looked gorgeous in it. Gorgeous, but tired. Not 'I only slept 6 hours last night' tired, but like her day to day life was exhausting.

I kept glancing over at her, trying my best not to look creepy, but probably failing. She caught me looking twice, but luckily the ceremony started. I tried my best not to laugh when James was saying his vows. My sister was not marrying the smartest guy on Earth, not by a long shot. Although I held my laughter in, suddenly a stifled laugh which she tried to cover up with a fake cough, made its way out of the beautiful girl.

Alex shot her a glare to which beautiful just blushed.

When the ceremony was finally over, I couldn't make my way to the reception hall fast enough. Open bar.

As luck would have it, I was just one table away from beautiful. I sat impatiently through the boring, repetitive, and unoriginal toasts until they were over. Once the music started playing I went straight for some JD.

I returned to my table and looked to my left, catching beautiful checking her phone.

"Waiting for your boyfriend to call?" I asked.

"Wait?" She said, looking over at me.

"I was just wondering if you were waiting for your boyfriend to call you." I repeated.

"No." She laughed.

Damn. That was supposed to tell me if she was single.

"So why didn't he come with you today?" I asked smoothly.

"I don't have a boyfriend." She replied.

"I see." I smiled. "Can I get you a drink?"

"I don't drink."

Strike one.

"Fair enough." I nodded. "How do you know Alex?"

"We went to college together for a little while and we work in the same office. I'm Janie, by the way." She smiled, offering her hand.

"Nice to meet you Janie by the way. I'm Austin." I greeted back as I shook her hand.

"I know." She quipped. "I've seen lots of pictures of you and Alex brags about you all the time."

"Oh, so are you an admirer?" I smirked.

"Not really." She told me.

Strike two.

"You sure do know how to build a guy up." I joked. "Do you want to step outside and talk?"

"I'm not staying long." She said.

"I'm not either. Come on, I just want to talk." I almost pleaded.

"Alright." She sighed.

I grinned and opened the door for her that led outside. She was even more stunning in the moonlight. We took a seat on a bench near the hotel fountain and watched the water flow before she spoke up.

"So you're a musician?"

"Yes, ma'am. Been doing it for about four years now. What do you do?" I asked.

"I'm the head of human resources at the magazine." She answered, referring to the magazine my sister photographed for.

"Do you like it?" I asked as I stretched and wrapped my arm around her shoulder loosely. Shit, she's got me feeling like I'm back in high school.

"Well, I didn't aspire to be in hr as a little girl." She chuckled. "But it pays well, so I can't complain."

The conversation flowed like this for awhile as we got to know one another. She was not only beautiful, but nice, funny, intelligent, and kind of sassy, which I liked.

"I never plan on settling down. I want to do this forever and maybe when people don't give a shit about me anymore, I can work for another band and go on the road with them." I told her as I put out my cigarette. I could sense she didn't like the smoke, so I put it out to be a gentleman.

"Well, I really need to go. It was nice talking to you." She said as she got up.

"Wait! That's it? I don't even get your number?" I asked. What the hell? This girl is making me pathetic!

"I'm sorry, Austin. You seem nice but trust me, we aren't meant to work out and I'm not into casual sex." She explained.

"What if I just want your company sometime?" I asked.

"I'll probably be busy. Goodbye." She frowned as she walked back inside.

Strike three. I'm out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any ideas what Janie is hiding?

I know this chapter sucks, but it gets better.

Comment and subscribe!