Status: Active

I'll Be Waiting up Counting the Stars

I've Never Been The Best With My Mouth

"So how did the date go?" Alex asked as she burst into my office.

"Oh my gosh, it was so great. He took me on a night hike and we talked and watched the stars and ate popsicles! It was amazing!" I gushed as I got up from my seat and sat on my desk in front of her.

"Did he try anything?" She asked, narrowing her eyes a bit.

"Not at all. I kissed him first." I grinned.

"Slut!" She joked.

"I know, I know." I played along. "But really, Alex, I wanna go out with him again. He's just- I can't describe it."

"He was all starry eyed too when I talked to him the other day. You still didn't tell him about Jack, huh?" She asked with a sympathetic smile.

"No.." I sighed.

"Janie..." She started in a warning tone.

"Alex, I just can't and I feel like such a bad mom because I don't want to be ashamed that I have him, but I don't want to freak Austin out, either. It's not like I would want him to be Jack's dad or anything, but I just want Jack to be able to bond with a guy, you know?" I choked out.

"You are not a bad mom, Jane. That's ridiculous to even think. Jack is the smartest, most articulate, adorable three year old I have ever met. Seriously, the kid is like Einstein because of you. And he adores you so much. But the sooner you tell Austin, the better. You don't want to fall too hard and you need to be honest with him. If it's meant to be then he'll accept Jack. If not, you move on." She told me with utter confidence.

"I guess." I sighed. "I just don't want to be one of those single moms that's always dating and stuff."

"You're not a whore, Janie. You'll be fine." She encouraged.

"Thanks Alex. I really-"

I was cut off by a man at the door holding a vase of white and pink carnations, my favorite flower.

"Hi, I'm looking for Janie Carter?" The man said.

"That's me." I replied breathlessly.

"These are for you, miss. Would you like them on your desk?" He asked with a friendly smile.

"Yes, please." I nodded as I stared at the arrangement. "Do you want a tip or something?" I asked after he set them down.

"No, I'm fine. Enjoy your day." He smiled before leaving my office.

"Are they from Austin?" She asked.

"Yeah!" I nodded as I hopped off my desk and read the card. "I told him on our date that I loved the white and pink carnations because they looked so cheesy."

"You would." She smirked.

Janie,
I miss you. I want to see you again tonight. My place, 8:30.
-Austin
P.S. You're right. Carnations do take me back to the eighties.


"Aww! He's so cute!" I squealed as I gazed at the flowers. "Nobody has ever bought me flowers before."

"Are you going to tell him tonight?" She asked.

"Fine." I sighed.

"Janie...this is serious. He's never gone all out for a girl like this before. He's never worked this hard, ever." She told me.

"Really?"

"Yeah. He's head over heels for you."

"Wow. I have a good feeling about this." I stated, still staring at the vase.

"Be careful, Janie." She told me softly before walking out of my office and back to hers.

I sighed and got back to work until it was time to leave. I drove home and walked in the door, greeted by my baby. I paid Tina for picking him up from daycare and watching him until I got home. I asked her if she could watch him tonight while I was I on my date, and she agreed. Then I started to make dinner while he sat on the counter and told me all about his day. He picked one of the flowers out of the vase and played with it while we talked. We turned on the radio and sang along as I cooked chicken and broccoli, his favorite.

Jack was never like other kids. He wasn't really interested in many things boys his age were. Sure, he liked Batman and planes, and games, but he didn't like violence or shouting or toilet humor. He didn't crave mac and cheese or hot dogs every night, either. He was sophisticated, for lack of a better word. He was very intelligent too. Some kids his age could barely speak in sentences while Jack talked like a third grader, not a three year old. He was easy to raise, and I couldn't be more thankful. I don't think he's ever thrown a fit out in public, or caused any sort of embarrassing scene. He was really an angel.

"Mama, grandma said you have my Batman hat. Where is it?" He asked suddenly.

What the fuck? She didn't have the guts to tell him that she threw it away!?

"Sweetheart...grandma got rid of that. I'm sorry, I didn't want her to." I said softly, even though I knew what was coming.

His little lip started to quiver and he got tears in his baby blues.

"It's okay, ma-mama." He sniffled. Then he looked down and started to cry quietly. I turned the stove off before walking over to his little body that was sitting indian style on the counter.

"I'm sorry, sweetie." I whispered as I wrapped my arms around him and rocked him back and forth. He just continued to cry and cry, which broke my heart. She knew how much he loved that hat. That really pissed me off.

He cried a little while longer before his tears came to a slow and eventually stopped.

We ate dinner together, but Jack refused to eat one piece of his chicken because he swore that was the chicken's "soul" and that if he ate it he'd be the devil. I don't know where he thinks of this stuff.

We did the dished together, I rinsed them and he arranged them in the dishwasher. Then we curled up on the couch and watched The Big Bang Theory before it was time for him to go to bed.

I gave him a bath, brushed his teeth, and put him in his pj's before tucking him into bed. I read him a chapter of Charlotte's Web before I kissed him goodnight and walked out of his room.

It was 7:45, so I quickly got ready for my date and waited for Tina to arrive so I could leave. I promised her I'd be home no later than ten before I took off in my car.

Austin

I waited impatiently on the couch, tapping my foot while I waited for her. She wasn't late, but I was still nervous she wouldn't show up until I heard a knock at the door.

"Hey!" I greeted as pulled her into a hug. "This is my humble abode."

"Nice to see you. I love your place." She said sweetly as she walked inside.

"Thanks!" I chuckled nervously as I closed the front door.

"The flowers were beautiful. Thank you." She smiled as she walked over to me and pressed her lips against mine. I wanted nothing more than to carry her to the bedroom, throw her down on the bed, and make sweet love to her all night, but I restrained myself.

"You're welcome." I replied, out of breath. "You look beautiful, as always."

"Thanks." She grinned. "Austin I have-"

She was cut off by the sound of two kids screaming as they ran down the halls of my apartment building.

"Fucking kids." I cursed. "What were you saying?"

"Um, nothing." She responded. "You don't like kids?"

"Nah, I was never a fan." I admitted. "They're always sticky and loud, am I right?" I joked.

She cracked a smile and nodded. She was kind of stiff the rest of the night after that. She gave me short answers and didn't engage in the conversation much. When the clocked turned to 9:30 she sprang out of her seat, saying she needed to go to work early in the morning and that she had to go to bed.

I got up, opened the door for her and let her out. She didn't give me a goodbye kiss, hell she barely said goodbye.

Did I do something wrong?
♠ ♠ ♠
There's a little update.

Could I get a few more comments? I just love hearing predictions :)

Comment and subscribe!