Status: Active

I'll Be Waiting up Counting the Stars

Playing Baseball In The Driveway

"Where are we going, Austin?" Jack asked from the backseat.

Today was the third day in a row I picked him up from daycare. Yesterday we went to the book store, but today I had something pretty different in mind.

"You'll see, kid." I smiled.

"Austin?" He asked.

"Yeah?"

"Nothing." He answered.

I just laughed and kept driving. I turned my stereo up right as Buddy Holly by Weezer came on. I glanced in my rear view and saw him bobbing his little head along. I made a mental note to get him some Weezer albums. They weren't my favorite but they were definitely his type.

"Okay, we're here." I announced before getting out and helping him out of his new car seat, purchased by yours truly.

"What is this?" He asked, looking around at all the people and machines.

"These are batting cages. It's where you go to practice baseball." I grinned as I led him through the parking lot.

"Oh. Like on tv?" He asked.

"Yeah, just like that. I'll have to take you to a game sometime." I told him.

I walked up to the counter and got my wallet out.

"I'll take a cage for about an hour." I said to the guy working there.

"Want a kids bat and helmet?" He asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

He gave me the equipment and my change before we walked over to one of the cages. I filled the machine with baseballs and turned it on slow before making my way over to Jack.

"Alright, so first you put your helmet on for protection." I said as I slid it on his head. "Then, you take your bat and you grip it like this." I instructed, placing his hands on the handle of the bat. "And you wanna stand with your knees bent and spread apart a little, okay?"

"Okay." He nodded as he followed my directions.

"When the ball comes towards you, you're going to swing like this and follow through, okay?" I asked after grabbing the bat from behind him and moving his arms to demonstrate a good swing.

He nodded and practiced swinging a few times.

"Cool. I'm gonna turn the machine on now. Don't worry if you miss a few times. It takes some practice." I told him as I started up the machine. He looked unsure, but nodded anyway.

Baseballs started coming out slowly and every so often, which was a good pace for the little guy. He was missing a lot at first, but quickly caught on and started hitting some. They didn't go very far, but the kid was only three.

"Nice little dude!" I cheered, clapping for him. "Now batting, Babe Ruth!" I called in an announcer voice.

"Austin, you try!" He yelled in between in laughter.

I grabbed a bat and stepped over to the plate while he moved behind me and swung hard. I heard that sweet crack of the bat as the ball went flying into the net.

"Wow!" Jack exclaimed. "You're good!"

"Thanks." I chuckled. "Now keep going. Practice makes perfect."

"Alright!" He grinned before stepping back up to the plate and swinging the bat.

I stepped outside the cage and watched him when I heard a voice behind me.

"Your son is adorable."

I turned around and saw a mid-thirties soccer mom smiling at me.

"Thanks." I said. "I think he's going to the big leagues."

"How old is he?" She asked.

"Almost four." I replied, glancing over at him as he was having the time of his life.

Then I remembered something; he's not actually my kid.

"Aw, well have a nice day." She smiled before walking back to her minivan.

Holy shit. I can't seriously be a dad! What the fuck am I doing? Did I really think this would work out? I don't know the first thing about kids. Sure, I can entertain him for an hour a day, but I couldn't actually raise him.

My thoughts were cut off when I heard a scream. I looked over and saw Jack holding his arm with tears spilling out over his cheeks.

I quickly opened the gate and shut off the machine before running over to him.

"What happened, buddy?" I asked, trying to calm him down.

"It h-hit me." He sniffled.

"How bad does it hurt?" I asked.

"I-It's a six." He replied.

I was confused for a minute, but then I understood what he meant.

"A six? Ah, man that's perfect!" I cried, getting down on one knee to his level.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because, you see this jacket?" I asked, motioning to my favorite jean jacket.

"Mhmm."

"Well, this jacket can cure any pain a six or below." I told him.

"Really?" He asked, calming down.

"Yeah, try it on and see." I said as I slipped it off and handed it to him.

It was like a trench coat on him, but my plan was working.

"I think it's working." He said as his tears came to a halt.

"That's my lucky charm, so I'm trusting you with it, alright?"

"You can trust me!" He nodded, wide eyed.

"I knew I could. Let's go grab some hot dogs." I laughed.

He took off his helmet and followed me over to the snack bar while I ordered us two hot dogs and some sodas.

"Can we do this again?" He asked before taking a bite.

"Sure thing." I nodded.

"Can we bring mama?" He asked.

Sneaky motherfucker.

"Uhh..I don't know." I answered honestly.

"I think she'd like it. She watches it on tv." He said.

"Maybe we'll ask her then." I lied.

I was in no way ready to confront Janie until I had some proof I could be what she and him needed. God knows how long that would take. I don't even know where to start, to be honest. Hanging out with Jack is making it easier though. He tells me straight up how things are and doesn't try to spare my feelings. I think he likes me too. Or at least I hope so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jack, I'm home!" I called as I walked in the door.

"Hey Janie. He's up in his room taking a nap. The poor thing is exhausted." She told me.

"Oh, really? That's weird. Well, thanks for watching him." I smiled.

"Sure thing." She replied before walking out the door.

I took off my blazer and threw it in the kitchen before walking upstairs and into Jack's room. He was in his bed snoring softly which made me smile.

"Hey baby." I whispered, walking over to him.

"Hi mama." He replied in a groggy voice, his heavy eyelids flickering open.

"How was your day?" I asked.

"Good. I had a lot of fun. I learned how to play baseball!" He grinned.

"You did?" I asked.

"Yes! It was so fun." He smiled.

"Well that's good. Maybe I'll sign you up for little league." I said.

He nodded vigorously and hugged me tight.

"Mama, are you gonna make up with Austin?" He asked.

"Austin? Why?" I asked, confused.

"Because he loves you." He replied.

"We'll see." I sighed. "Now let's get some dinner."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to carlygirlll43, nothingpersonal10, lovelyhope, MMM26, RoRo15, caitlinstarz, and vivalajade for commenting!

Check out my John O one shot - I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore

Think Janie will find out when she sees that jacket? Or do you think Austin will just tell her?

Comment and subscribe!