Status: Active

No Goodbyes This Time

The Second Task.

Professor Dumbledore had called Hermione, Ron, a little girl from Beauxbatons and I to his office. We all had no clue why we were there.

"Tomorrow is the day of the second task for the Tri-Wizard Tournament." Dumbledore began. "For this challenge, we must take the thing that is most precious to each champion." I stopped breathing. "You four are those things. We require you to stay here tonight and not to contact anyone about this. You will be put into a deep sleep and will be held under water until each champion retrieves you. You will not be hurt or injured in this task, all you must do is sleep. You will be awoken as soon as your head comes out of the water." We all looked at each other.

Suddenly, I felt sluggish and sleepy. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I noticed the others looking the same. I fell to the floor in a deep slumber.

---

-Cedric's POV-

I looked around the stands for Hayley, but I couldn't see her anywhere. We stood over the lake, my wand was in my pocket. I had planned to use the bubble-head charm.

"Welcome to the second task. Last night something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts. These four treasures, one for each champion, now lie on the bottom of the black lake. In order to win, each champion need only find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough. Except for this, they will have one hour to do so and one hour only. After that they'll be on their own. You may begin at the start of the cannon." Just as Dumbledore finished, the cannon sounded and I dove into the icy water.

I quickly performed the bubble-head charm and swam through the water.

I kept wary of any grindylows or merfolk coming at me. I swam for what seemed like hours until I found Harry hesitating between who he would release. I saw Hayley tied to a chain, motionless in the water and I immediately stopped thinking about my surroundings. I pulled my wand from my pocket and cast at the chain. I grabbed her arm and looked at Harry. I tapped my watch, telling him that he didn't have much time left.

I dragged her up to the surface and she gasped for air. People began cheering for me as we swam to the side of the stands. I climbed up then held a hand out to pull her out of the water. People came around and put warm towels around our shoulders. We sat down and she pulled her legs to her chest and hugged her knees.

"Thanks." Hayley said, shivering.

"Are you cold?" I asked.

"It was freezing in there, I've been down there all morning. Of course I'm cold." She chuckled. I put my arms around her and she rested her head on my chest.

"Better?" I asked. She nodded, but she was still shivering.

"Cedric, there's something I need to get off my chest and I don't want to put it off anymore." She murmured. My stomach almost turned over. "Is that okay?"

"Yeah, sure. Go for it." I clung to her a bit tighter.

"You like me, right? Like, alot?" She whispered. I nodded. "I'm sorry, Cedric. I don't really like you that way and I'm sorry I've led you on like this. I'm sorry, I only want us to be friends." I felt a sharp pain in my chest, or maybe it was just my heart breaking. "Please say something." She begged. "Anything."

"I..." I began. "It's fine."

"Are you sure? I really am sorry." She said shakily.

"No. No, it's okay. I'll be fine." I lied.

"So we're still friends?" She asked nervously.

"Yeah, of course." I said. She relaxed into my arms a little more.
♠ ♠ ♠
When I was writing this, I could almost feel the cold water. Brrrr.
-Ellie x