Status: Active

No Goodbyes This Time

Memories.

I don't know how long I sat there and sobbed, refusing to let anyone come near Cedric, except for Amos. It could have been hours. Days. Professor Moody had dragged Harry and later it was found that he wasn't Professor Moody at all. It was Barty Crouch Jr, who was thought to be in Azkaban, but escaped.

No one else dared approach me as I cried over Cedric's dead body. This was all my fault. I'd left him distracted from what he was doing. How could I have done that? Couldn't I have waited until the tournament was over? I knew he was hurting, but now he's gone and it's all my fault.

We sat in the Great Hall for a memorial service. I don't think I stopped crying all night, I didn't sleep at all.

"Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss." Dumbledore said. He stood from his chair at the end of the Great Hall. "Cedric Diggory," I sobbed at the sound of his name. Fred and George both put an arm around my shoulder in comfort. "Was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend. I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort." I cringed at his name. "The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. Not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now this pain that we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds us that while we come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end." I scrunched up my eyes, pressed my lips together and bowed my head, trying to squeeze away the pain.

---

Just as we did at the beginning of the year, we stood out in the entrance courtyard, this time farewelling our guests.

"Hermione," Viktor said, pulling her aside slightly. He pulled a piece of parchment out of his pocket. "this is for you. Write me. Promise."

He turned and shook my hand proudly then disappeared into the sea of people. Angelina and Hermione started squealing. I shook my head.

Fleur and her little sister both kissed Ron on the cheek.

"Au Revoir, Ron." Fleur said and they disappeared.

I followed Fred and George through the crowd to watch the Durmstrang ship fire cannons in salute as they left. The Beauxbatons carriage flew dangerously close past us then followed the ship closely behind. I waved and began wondering the empty parts of the entrance hall.

"Do you think we'll ever have a quiet year at Hogwarts?" Ron asked Harry and Hermione.

"No." Harry and Hermione said. I walked over and appeared behind Hermione.

"Alright there?" I asked them. They nodded.

"Didn't think so. Oh well, what's life without a few dragons?" Ron said. Harry, Ron and I walked to watch the others schools leave again, but we stopped when Hermione didn't follow.

"Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" She said. We walked back to her.

"Yes." I said, putting a hand on her shoulder. We went back to the edge of the corridor.

"Promise you'll write. All of you." Hermione said.

"I won't." Ron said, grinning. "You know I won't."

"Harry and Hayley will, won't you?" She said.

"Yeah," I said unsurely. "Every week." We laughed. Fred and George stood behind us.

"It's alright, Granger. We'll write you!" They said.

"No, thank you!" She said quickly. "If anything, it'll blow up in my face as soon as I open it."

"You really think we're that predictable, Granger?" George said.

"We thought you knew better!" Fred said. I chuckled. "What's so funny, Amsterdam?"

"I don't care if you're joking, you'll be writing me or I'll hurt you." I said. They laughed but nodded.

We've all been through hell this year, what could possibly be worse next year?
♠ ♠ ♠
All done! On to the next one.
-Ellie x