Status: Working on but has a few road blocks that are getting annoying...

Right on Key

Chapter Thirteen

‘Oh, boy. Where to start?’ Violet wondered as she sat across from the pair of curious brothers.

“Are you going to just sit there or is this going to get somewhere?” Ed said impatiently. Violet just sighed.

“I’m trying to think of where to begin.”

“The easiest place to start is at the beginning.” Al chimed in.

“Thanks.” Violet smiled to him. She sighed again. This was going to wake a while.

The story telling went pretty well. The only problem was when she told the part about being turned into a homunculus. After hearing that, Ed launched himself at her, tackling her to the floor. It hurt. But, other then that little incident, everything was fine. At the end, the room was filled with silence; that is until Ed’s stomach growled.

“Looks like someone’s hungry.” Al said. Violet smiled as she stood.

“I’m hungry, too. Could we possibly go get a bite to eat?

“Sure. Let’s go.” Ed said standing and stretching.

Ed knocked on the front door of a familiar looking house. The door opened to reveal the one and only Maes Hughes.

“Edward! Alphonse! It’s good to see you, too. Come on in. You are just in time for supper.” He greeted them all-too-happily. Violet followed behind the guys as they walked with Hughes.

“So…who’s your friend, Ed?” Violet heard Hughes ask Ed tauntingly. She felt her face grow warmer at thought of being thought of as someone special.

“She’s our friend. Her name is Ivy.” Ed answered him as he scratched his cheek.

“Well, it’s my pleasure to meet you, Ivy.” Hughes said as he turned to her, “I’m Maes Hughes.

‘I know.’ she thought, holding herself back from saying it.

“The pleasure’s all mine, Mr. Hughes.”

“Oh please, just call me Hughes.”

‘Thank goodness.’ she thought. It would feel so weird calling him mister all the time. She knew too much about the characters, but she didn’t know them in person yet. At least she still had that clueless aspect.

“Shall we go eat?” Hughes said as he began to walk away, “Gracia is the best cook in Central.”
Violet chuckled to herself. That was the doting Hughes she had been waiting for.

The food was delicious. Violet couldn’t remember the last time she had eaten anywhere besides home.

“It was delicious, Mrs. Hughes.”

“Please Ivy, call me Gracia. And thank you.” she told her as she cleared the table off. Violet began to stand up.

“No, no, sit still. I can clean it up.” Violet slid back into her seat.

“It was delicious, Mrs. Hughes.”

“Alphonse.” Gracia told him playfully, before taking his plate. She turned and grabbed Ed’s plate.

“Thanks, Gracia. It tasted great.” Ed said, handing his plate to her.

“Thank you all of you.” Gracia picked up the last place and turned for the kitchen.

“Wait for me, mommy!” Little Elicia spun to her feet, racing after her mother. Violet smiled as the small pigtailed figure disappeared around the corner.

“So Ed…” Violet looked back around until her eyes landed on Hughes. “What is it that you want to talk about? I have a feeling that you have a reason behind stopping by tonight.”

The room grew silent for a moment. Al and Violet looked at Ed. Ed just smiled at Hughes.

“Not really, Ivy was just hungry while we were showing her around Central.” Hughes’s eyebrows went up.

“So…” he turned to Violet, “you’re not from around here?” She shook her head ‘no’.

“Well, I welcome you to Central, then.”

“Thank you.” Violet told him politely.

“So…how did you come to meet Ed and Al?”

They all stared at him. Ed and Al looked to Violet.

“You see, sir-”

“Please just call me Hughes.”

“Well…you see Hughes,…” Violet paused for a moment, “… I wish to become a state alchemist and Colonel Mustang asked them to prepare me for the upcoming state exam.”

“Is that so?” Hughes said, resting his elbows on the table. He had laid his chin on his hands. “If I may ask you Ivy, why do you wish to become a state alchemist?”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the cliffhanger again. but i hope you enjoy it ^_^