Status: Story for the Story Telephone game - info in comments, don't read story if you want to participate

Telephone

Chapter One

Erin smiled and lifted her right hand to lay it against his cheek.

"I wish you didn't have to go," she said wistfully, a smile flashing across her face.

James grabbed her hand and pulled her into his arms, the fluorescent lighting of the airport security checkpoint turning their skin to waxy dullness while the crush of people in line jostled the embracing couple.

"I know," he said, "I know."

James smiled, and kissed the top of her head before letting her go. Their brief hug had seen the line advance and the security guard impatiently called, "Sir, I need you to step over to this checkpoint here, please."

Erin smiled again, a genuinely forced and held grin that didn't reach her eyes. "G'bye James. I'll see you in-" she paused, checking her cell phone "-37 days. Have a safe flight."

James gave her hand a squeeze and then let her duck out of the line, the security guard calling again, "Sir," as Erin's trailing hand fell away from his. James smiled at the guard and handed over his passport and boarding pass, Erin watched as his things were handed back and he proceeded around a corner, out of sight.

Sighing, Erin turned away from the haphazard line of people, and fought back the tears which threatened to show on her face. She shook her bangs into her eyes and left the airport terminal, digging the parking slip from her pocket to find the space where she parked.

The walk to her car was all too short, though her cell phone beeped briskly as she tossed her purse inside and climbed into her Mazda. She pulled the phone from her bag and read the text she had just received from James.

At the gate, security was fine. Love you!

Tapping out a rapid text in reply -Love you too!- Erin started her car and left the parking lot. Not looking forward to the hour's drive home, she flipped her iPod to "driving mix" and cranked the volume.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short, I apologise for it not being much to go on.