Status: Completed.

No One Knows You Like I Do

We’ll Figure Out A Way To Make This Work

Nick leaned against the hood of Madison’s car as he waited for her to get out of class. The bell had rung at least ten minutes ago and she still wasn’t there. He checked the time again, but before he could register what time it actually was Madison was in front of him.
“Hey.”
“Hey.” He smiled and pulled her in for a hug.
“Nick.”
“Sorry.” He stepped back and rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “So, do you wanna talk here or go somewhere else?”
“What the fuck is this?” Mackenzie appeared from behind them and did not look amused.
“Hey, MC, this is Nick.”
“I know who he is. But what is he doing here?”
“Well, I actually teach here, so--”
“That’s not what I meant. I meant here, right here. At her car.”
“Mackenzie, calm down and just get in the car. We’re just talking.”
“That’s why you were just hugging, right?”
“Mackenzie, for the love of God, get in the car or you’re walking home.” Madison rarely raised her voice with Mackenzie, or with anyone for that matter, which caused Mackenzie to jump. She went to the passenger side door and pulled it open just as Madison had unlocked it. Madison turned her attention back to Nick.
“Look, I’m sorry about that. Maybe we could just meet at the Starbucks down the street in like 20 minutes?”
“Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll see you then.” He smiled and turned on his heel to go to his car. Madison walked over to the driver’s side and got into the car. She pulled out of the parking space and headed toward Mackenzie’s house. The car ride was silent and even when they pulled up in front of Mackenzie’s house, they still hadn’t said anything. Mackenzie turned to get out of the car and stopped.
“Are you going to go out with him, Madison?”
“We’re just going to talk, okay?”
“Alright. It’s just….I saw you waste away your whole summer, because you couldn’t stop thinking about him. I don’t want to see that happen again. Now, it’ll be worse. He’s your teacher. It can’t happen.”
“Mackenzie, I know. We’re just talking.
“Okay. I’m sorry.” Mackenzie got out of the car, walked up to her front porch, and went inside.
Madison went by her house to drop off her school bag and grab some money. She poked around her house to see if anyone was home and, as usual, no one was. She sighed to herself and went back on route to meet Nick.
When she walked in, Nick was already seated at a table for two waiting for her. She walked over and sat down.
“Hey, there you are.” Nick smiled.
“Here I am.” She chuckled nervously.
“I, uh, kinda thought you were gonna ditch me.”
“Why would I do that?” She frowned.
“I don’t know. You just seemed very reluctant about wanting to talk to me. That’s all.”
“Oh, trust me, I am. But I wouldn’t ditch you.”
“That’s good.” He looked down at the table. “Look, I know that things didn’t go over well and I know you’re mad that I didn’t call or figure out something, but I need you to believe me when I say I thought about you every single day. And I’m sorry. You have to let me make things right. Let me take you out, like I said I would.” He looked up to meet her eyes, but she quickly averted her gaze. She looked around the coffee shop at anyone, anything, that would keep her from having to make eye contact with Nick again. That’s when she noticed her math teacher from last year. Her stomach dropped. Nick was a teacher at her school now. She couldn’t be seen with him in public. People would start to think things. Before she could even warn Nick, she was on her way over.
“Hello, Madison!” She smiled.
“Hi, Mrs. Appleton. How are you?”
“I’m great! It’s so nice to see you outside of that school.” She glanced across the table and noticed Nick. “Oh, hi! You’re that new teacher in the English department, right?”
“Uh, yeah. That’s me.” He waved nervously.
“How do you two know each other?” She asked curiously.
“Well, uhm, I’m her…..teacher, but we met over the summer. See, I’m in a band and she was at a show…”
“Oh, how neat!” She smiled brightly. “Just be careful hanging out, people will start thinking there’s something going on!” She winked before bursting out into laughter. “I’m just kidding! Well, you two have a nice day. I’ll see both tomorrow, hopefully.”
“Yeah.” Nick responded. Mrs. Appleton turned on her heel and went out the door. “Well, that sure wasn’t awkward.”
“Nick, how can we do anything? I’m your student, not to mention only seventeen. What was I even thinking? This could never work.” She stood up and headed for the door. Nick stood and followed her, putting a hand on her arm to turn her around.
“Don’t say that. I don’t care that you’re only seventeen. And we knew each other before this whole teaching business started. It’s not fair.”
“Nick, I….I don’t know.”
“Please, just give me a chance.” Madison picked up his hand, lacing their fingers together and pulling him out the door. She took him over to her car and unlocked the doors. “Where are we going?”
“Somewhere less public?” She got into the driver’s seat and closed the door behind her. Nick followed suit on the passenger side.
They pulled up in front of Madison’s house only a few minutes later. There were still no cars in the driveway, but that wasn’t going to stop her from double-checking to see if they were alone. She led Nick into the house and she looked around.
“Mom? Dad?” No answer from either one. “Josh? You home?” Josh was her younger brother, but he was rarely home now that he was driving. Madison turned back to Nick and crashed her lips into his. He was confused at first, but let that thought leave his mind as he kissed her back. Madison wrapped her arms around Nick’s neck and pulled herself up, so her legs were wrapped around his waist. She pulled away, leaving their foreheads touching. “I want nothing more than to give you a chance.”
“But I thought you were mad?”
“I was never really mad. I’ve been waiting til the day I got to see you again. I don’t care about this summer. I only care about this moment.”
Nick smiled into another kiss. He carried her into the living room and set her down on the couch, crawling on top of her. They found themselves in this situation once again.
“What are we doing?” Nick pulled away and said in between kisses to her neck.
“I know you said no before and that you wanted to take me out first, but I want this. So bad.” She pulled his face to hers, so she could kiss him again.
“Not here. Let’s go to your room at least?”
Madison pushed him off her and grabbed his hand. She led him up the stairs to her room and closed to door, locking it behind her. “Better?” She chuckled.
“Much.” He smiled, before closing the gap between them and reconnecting their lips. He picked her up and took her to the bed, laying her down slowly as he got on it as well. He started kissing her neck again as he played with the bottom of her shirt with his hands. “If we’re gonna do this, you have to do something for me.” Madison opened her eyes and put a hand on his chest, pushing him back a ways.
“What do you want?”
“Be my girlfriend, okay?” He smiled. A million different things had been running through Madison’s head, but that wasn’t one of them.
“Is that you asking me or telling me?” She chuckled as she moved her hand and let him return to kissing her neck.
“Asking?”
“That sounds like a question mark. Are you sure?” She enjoyed messing with him.
“Please, Madison, be my girlfriend?”
She sighed playfully. “Well, I guess.” Nick pulled away and gave her a look. “I’m kidding. Of course.” She sat up a bit to attach their lips. She lay back, taking him with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
How cute am I, updating twice? Yes. I did update twice, even though it's my birthday, I'm giving you a gift. So, I think I deserve a few comments, then, right? ;)