Opinions Won't Keep You Warm At Night

Opinions Won't Keep You Warm at Night

Swallowed whole by the darkness, sitting in the silence, that deathly silence. Alone. She is completely alone, except for them. Their silhouettes dance around her, like white ghosts prancing in unison to their beastly songs. Taunting her. Haunting her.

She shuts her eyes as their songs fill the empty silence of the darkness she constantly finds herself in. Sirens, they are like Sirens. Their music enchanting the listener, clouding their judgement. Under their complete control.

Don’t believe what they have to say.

I am right. I am always right.

You silly girl. You, have an opinion?

They sing, mocking her. She shuts her deep brown eyes tightly, blocking out their ghostly silhouettes. Lifting two long hands up to her face and using them to protect her ears.

Lies. Everything you know is a lie.

Why wouldn’t they stop? Once, she was one of them, dancing to their music, to their songs. Believing them, one of them. But then one day, it all changed. She learnt that opinions don’t keep you warm at night. When you are all alone, your opinions aren’t going to make you feel better. No way.

Those silhouettes have spent their time torturing her, for years. No longer, would she let them tell her what to believe. They poison her mind, and the mind of others. Tainting our thoughts. How can we live in a world where nobody has a real opinion, which is not somehow, impacted by the opinions of another? And how can we say that this is the beautiful world we want to live in?

Believe me. Believe me. For I am always right.

“No!” The words spilled from her chapped lips, breaking their chilling song with a gut wrenching scream and filling the darkness. Shaking her head desperately from side to side, brown locks of hair flying in a mess as she grips her head tighter between her hands, trying desperately to block them out.

“You don’t have me. I don’t believe you. You are not always right.” The words spill like venom from her mouth, attacking the silhouettes as they screech in fury. Their words are all lies, she cannot give into them, never. Never will she give into them.

No. I am right.

If they had of told her to jump off a bridge, would she do it? No. She wouldn’t. Then why should she believe them, and believe what they tell her to believe.
Why do they tell her, that she has the right to an opinion? Contradicting themselves? Or is it, she has the right to an opinion, just as long as it is theirs, and not her own?

“No. No. No. No.” She tells herself, she will not give into their song, their lies. The truth is so hard to find in their deranged words. Their songs become harsher as they screech in fury towards her rebellion.

“I do not believe you.” The words finally escape her and the silhouettes scream once more and disappear into the darkness. Now she can open her eyes, just as light floods the empty space and they are gone.

Now she was free. No body could tell her what to believe in, or what to do. She could hold her head high with an open mind. Clear of any thoughts that could change her judgement. She was completely in control now. The silhouettes with their lying song were gone. For now at least.

They will try and come back and control her. They always do. But, she’ll be ready.

Never let them take you alive.