Just Go With It

New York, New York

Amelia and Bam had been talking for hours. They were lying side by side on the bed, laughing and telling stories. It was now only an hour until the reservation Bam had made at a restaurant in town.

“I’d better go get ready.” Amelia told him, pulling herself up from the bed. Bam nodded, and watched as she made her way to the bathroom.

After a quick shower to freshen herself up, Amelia reapplied some make up. This time she took a little more care and effort. She wanted to look her best for this rare occasion, although she wasn’t really sure whether or not it was a date. She put on a little dark eye shadow and heavier mascara to emphasise her large green eyes. Her hair had fallen into loose waves from the steamy shower, so she touched them up a little with her curlers, before slipping into the dress. It was long enough for her not to need tights.

“Wow...” Bam was at a loss for words as she returned to the bedroom. His jaw had dropped.

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” She laughed, noticing that he had changed into another smart pair of jeans and a purple shirt. She was happy to see that he was still hat and scarf free.

“You look amazing Amelia.” He told her, as she slipped on a pair of black heels.

“Thanks.” She blushed. “You don’t scrub up too bad either.”

Bam laughed, and poured her a glass of wine while they waited for their driver. She had never felt so relaxed around him. It was such a contrast from the past month. Her attraction to him was stronger than ever and she could feel her heart rate quicken whenever he was close by.

Bam took her hand as they made their way into the restaurant, and Amelia didn’t object. Once seated, they continued to talk about themselves and concentrated on getting to know one another, whilst enjoying their company. There were so many things that Amelia wanted to say to him, but for fear of making a fool of herself, she kept her mouth shut.

“So, what brought you to America?” Bam asked, as their main course arrived.

“It’s a long story.” She laughed, but Bam’s eyes implored her to continue. “I was with my ex Callum for five years. I had just graduated university and was working for my local news station when I had a pregnancy scare. He was adamant that I should get rid of it, but I couldn’t bear the thought of an abortion. He told me he’d leave me if I kept it; it was as simple as that. As it turned out, it was a false alarm, I wasn’t pregnant after all, but from then on I knew there was no future for us. We were living together at the time so I had to move back in with my mum. That was about three months ago, the same time that I applied for this job. I was desperate to get away from my past ad start things over again. I guess moving to a different country was a little extreme, but I got the job and as they say, the rest is history.”

Bam stared at Amelia, not saying a word. He placed his hands over hers across the table.

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“I wouldn’t be here now if it wasn’t for that.” She sighed.

“Well I’m glad you got the job.” He teased, squeezing her hand affectionately.

“Me too.” She admitted, looking up into his eyes. “Do you mind if I ask what happened between you and Jenn?” she asked quietly, now that the truth was coming out.

Bam shrugged. “She cheated on me. It took me a while, but I realised I didn’t want to be with someone like that, especially not with all the arguing on top of that. I know you wouldn’t think it to watch me on the show, but what I really want is a proper loving relationship with someone I can settle down with.”

Amelia squeezed his hand back.

By the time they arrived back at the hotel, Amelia and Bam were a little light headed from the wine. They giggled their way back up to their fifth floor room, before finally falling on to the bed in relief.

“Thank you for tonight Bam. I’ve had such a good time.” She told him happily.

“You’re welcome.” He smiled, propping himself up on one elbow so he could see her face. “Thank you for accompanying me.”

Amelia giggled. She kicked off her heels, getting comfortable. Bam seized this opportunity and began tickling her feet relentlessly. Amelia screamed and jerked her limbs, but it was no good, Bam was far too strong for her. It wasn’t until she accidently kicked him in the head that he released her.

“Oh God Bam, I’m sorry, are you ok?” She jumped up and touched his head gently.

“It’s fine, I’m just glad you weren’t wearing those heels.” He laughed, as she continued to stroke the side of his face.

He put his hand against hers, staring at her through those beautiful blue eyes. “Amelia...” he began.

Before Bam could finish, Amelia had brought her lips down so that they met his. She had no idea where this sudden confidence had come from, but she was unable to stop herself. Bam didn’t seem to mind and put his hands on her waist, pulling her into his lap. This time, Amelia was in control and she liked it. She could feel how badly he wanted her, but she refused to give in, teasing him until he was literally begging for her.

Eventually she allowed him to take over. He pushed her back on to the bed so that he was lying on top of her. Amelia could feel the warmth of his body through their layers of clothes. They kissed deeply and roughly, now with a sense of familiarity after the previous night. This was beginning to become a habit.

“I think you’re amazing Amelia.” Bam breathed, once they had stopped kissing.

“You’re pretty special yourself.” She joked, as he stuck his tongue out in response. She nestled her head into his chest and he wrapped his arms around her protectively.

“So...you and me?” Bam hinted, tracing his finger along her bare arm.

“I have no idea how it would work.” She sighed, placing a hand gently on his chest. “It just seems impossible.”

“We can make it work, if you’ll just give it a try."

“What will everyone say?”

“So does this mean you’re ready to give me a chance?” asked Bam, kissing her gently on the forehead.

Amelia looked up at him and nodded slightly. She knew she was powerless to deny him any longer.

“Please don’t make me regret this.”

“I won’t.” He whispered, kissing her hair. “I promise.”

The next morning Amelia was awoken by the sun streaming through the curtains of the hotel room. Bam was still sleeping soundly beside her, with one arm across her waist. Her head felt a little heavy from the wine the night before, so she sat up slowly, untangling herself from Bam, whilst trying to judge the extent of her hangover. Her dress and various other items of clothing from the night before were strewn across the floor. She had slept in a baggy t-shirt and some underwear.

She glanced over at Bam’s sleeping form and smiled. They had another full day and night to spend together and she felt giddy with excitement. Being around Bam was like a breath of fresh air. He made Amelia feel as if anything was possible.

After a long hot shower, Amelia got herself ready for the day. Judging by the heat of the sun beating in through the window, it was going to be a nice day, so she pulled on a pair of denim shorts and a long black vest. Bam was still fast asleep, so she bent over the bed and kissed him softly on the lips. He had obviously already been awake, as he kissed her back and tried to pull her into bed with him.

“Time to get up sleepy head.” She laughed, resisting him and slipping her feet into a pair of gladiator sandals.

By the time Bam was finally ready to go, Amelia was starving. They found a little coffee shop by Central Park, and tucked into bagels and muffins for breakfast. It felt as if they were in a dream, and Amelia tried not to think about the moment when the bubble would inevitably burst.

“So are you ready for the grand tour?” Bam smiled, with a mouthful of pastry.

“I guess so.” She replied, finishing her coffee.

“It’s gonna be great!” Bam’s eyes twinkled with mischief.

They spent the day visiting all of the sights that New York had to offer. Bam seemed to have an unlimited amount of energy, and Amelia found herself struggling to keep up. Her feet were aching and she was dying for a strong drink. For a laugh, they had purchased matching ‘I heart New York’ t-shirts and agreed to pose in them for typical touristy photos. Late in the afternoon, when Bam finally seemed to have run out of steam, they went to meet Johnny in his hotel.

Johnny was waiting for them in the bar, and to Amelia’s joy, he had taken the liberty of ordering her favourite drink, a large Bacardi and coke.

“I love you Johnny!” she exclaimed, hugging him before taking a long refreshing sip. “Bam has exhausted me.”

“Whoa, too much information babe!” Johnny joked, taking a swig of his beer. Amelia punched his arm fondly, while Bam simply grinned.

“So what’s happening with you two lovebirds?” He teased, looking from Bam to Amelia as they took their seats at Johnny’s table.

They glanced at each other sheepishly, before Bam used his initiative.

“We’re getting to know each other.” He smiled, ruffling Amelia’s hair.

“Ah, congratulations! It’s about bloody time! That’s code for officially dating you know!” he added, noticing their puzzled expressions.

Amelia and Bam laughed and Bam kissed her cheek, making her blush.