Status: Complete!

Fix Me, Conflict Me

Scream to Be Heard.

I put the last of Cooper’s drug stash in the trash can and set it ablaze. He was arrested again, and I wasn’t going to continue to sell his drugs until I made enough money to bail him out. The last time was the first time and the only time that would happen.

I walked down to the animal shelter, fiercely rubbing away my tears. Maybe a walk with Sebastian would calm me down. “Hey, Maddie!” Bailey Pruitt, one of my friends and coworkers greeted me cheerfully.

I forced a smile. “Hi, Bailey… is Sebastian awake yet?” I asked of my favorite brown and white papillon. It was a wonder nobody wanted to adopt that adorable thing.

“Thought you’d ask,” Bailey sighed, rolling her eyes and handing me Sebastian’s worn gray leash. “He’s in the first cage to your left, on the bottom. I don’t get why you don’t adopt him yourself already!” I gritted my teeth, snatching the leash from her. “Oh, it’s ‘cause Cooper doesn’t like pets, right?”

“Exactly,” I muttered, going to fetch Sebastian. Bailey didn’t know what Cooper really was. Sebastian jumped around when he saw me, and when I let him out, he jumped on me excitedly. “Yeah, we’re going out for a walk!” I told him happily, attaching the leash to his collar. “Come on, boy.” I said goodbye to Bailey, then Sebastian and I walked around the area for a bit.

Cooper Whitley was the first friend I made in Baltimore when my family moved here from Florida. We were only best friends, of course, but when college rolled around, we decided to get an apartment together. Cooper didn’t want to go to college. I wanted to go to college, but I was gonna take a year off first, since I graduated so young. I was gonna work hard and save my money up. Cooper said he wanted to just pursue his dreams, and so I supported him wholeheartedly.

I didn’t know he dreamed of being a fucking drug dealer.

“I don’t know why you’re so against it,” Cooper said complacently, using a razorblade to measure out several lines of coke. He didn’t bother hide it anymore. “I mean, come on, Maddie. Look at how nice our apartment is. Did you think it’s be this nice with the kind of job you can get without a college education?” he laughed, opening up some plastic bags.

“Cooper, it’s wrong,” I whispered, nearing tears. This wasn’t the same sweet beach blonde boy I met four years ago. Now, Cooper was naturally paler than he used to be. Thinner, too – the muscle tone in his body gone. He never went out anymore, except to clubs at night to sell his drugs.

“It’s not like I do drugs, too, Maddie,” Cooper promised. “I’m just the middle man, my dear.”

“I want my best friend back,” I raised my voice, a few tears spilling over.

Cooper got up from the table and walked over to me, taking my face in his hands and brushing my tears away with his thumbs. “Maddie, I’m here. I always have been. You’re the one that’s changed,” he said with a derisive laugh. “Don’t give me that innocent look. I know why my razor blades go missing, Maddie,” Cooper said in a low voice, one of his hands falling to clutch my left wrist.

I inhaled sharply, trying not to give any other indication that I was in pain, but Cooper squeezed my wrist tighter and tighter. “Yeah, that’s what I thought. You won’t tell me why you cut, and you wouldn’t listen to me if I told you to stop. I don’t know what your problem is, Maddie.” Cooper let go of my wrist and returned to the table, packaging the cocaine. “But then again, we all have our vices and virtues. To each his own, I guess,” he said with a nonchalant shrug.

“Cooper, please stop,” I finally resorted to begging him.

Cooper’s face twisted in anger and he actually backhanded me. I only gasped in surprise before falling into a crumpled heap on the floor. “Dammit to hell, Madison Bonner! If you don’t like the way I earn my money, you can get the fuck out!” he roared.

I could only stare at what had become of my best friend in silence. Cooper’s breathing leveled out and he looked at me with such sorrow in his eyes. He kneeled to be closer to me and I instantly cringed, expecting another blow. “Fuck… I’m sorry, Madds, I’m so sorry,” he whispered his nickname for me, cradling me in his arms. “I won’t package the goods in front of you anymore, ok? Does that make you feel better?”

Um, no! I want you to stop dealing drugs completely! “Y-Yes,” I croaked, letting him hug me.

Cooper smiled and kissed my wrist. “Looks like I’ve got my best friend halfway back.”

Yeah, right.

Image

“When did Cooper turn into a douche bag, huh, Baz?” I asked the little dog with a sigh. We were sitting under the awning of some store because it started to rain. I brought a little water bottle and dish for Baz, which he was currently drinking from. I stared up at the dreary Baltimore sky, but was pulled back down to earth with Baz’s barking. He ran away from me, the leash chafing on my wrist. I winced and grasped it tightly for a moment. “Baz!” I called after the dog, but he was already running down some alley. I hurried ran after him, ignoring the rain soaking into my clothes. “Baz, get back here!”

I finally caught him. He had chased something into an alley. I bent down to grab his leash, winding it tightly around my good wrist. “Ooh, baby, you’re all wet,” a masculine voice chuckled from behind me. When I turned around, there were three middle aged men standing between me and my way out.

My stomach flipped and began to knot itself up. “Why don’t you come with us?” One of them suggested, putting his hand on my arm. “Ow!” he suddenly yelled, pulling away. Baz had bitten his leg and was now barking furiously at the three men. It’s the size of the fight in the dog, after all…

“What the fuck, man,” the third man scoffed, and he kicked Sebastian.

“Stop it!” I screamed, hearing the little dog whimper. I bent down to take Baz up in my arms, but one of the men grabbed me by my hips and slammed me into the brick wall. I cried silently as one undid my belt and the other two pinned my legs and arms to the wall, not letting me move. One of them was gripping my throat, too, so I couldn’t scream for help…not that anyone could even hear me. I couldn’t hear Baz’s barking anymore, either. At least one of us got away…

And then all the men were off me. Somebody in a gray hoodie was beating the shit out of all of them with a metal pipe. I could only look on, still paralyzed in my shock. My savior dropped the metal pipe when all the men were unconscious on the ground. He ripped off his hoodie, shoving it into my chest, and then he was gone again. “Wait!” I yelled after him, slipping it on.

He returned with Sebastian in his arms. “Oh, thank you,” I gasped out, so relieved to see Baz again. “How can I ever thank-“ But when I tried to get a better look at him, he pulled the hood over my eyes.

“Don’t look at anything. Just walk,” he said firmly, and I felt his hand at the small of my back. I stared at the ground like he instructed. I don’t know why I trusted him instantly, but I didn’t question where he was leading me. We walked in silence, the rain pouring harder and harder. Then all of a sudden he stopped us. “Be more careful next time,” I heard him whisper, and then he left.

When I looked up, I was standing in front of the animal shelter. He was running down to South Broadway. I wanted to go after him, but then Bailey ran out with an umbrella. “Oh my god, Maddie! Where have you been? Get in here!”

Whoever he was…I’d have to find him. After all, I needed to return his hoodie.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm terrible with timing, but the way i'm imagining this...
alex and maddie should be 19 and 18, respectively.
in case any of you were wondering. so, comment/subscribe?
check this out?