Status: active :D

Listen up Cause This Is Not the End

ch. 28

There he stood in the doorway, his green eyes staring into my blue eyes, his mouth forming a smirk. He could tell I'm scared. I tried to get my heart to stop beating like a drum.

"Max? What are you doing here?" I asked, I noticed my voice was shaky.

"Can I come in? I just wanna talk," he said.

I was irresolute, but I stepped aside and let him in. He walked in and stood next to the door, next to me. He cleared his throat and spoke.

"Cassie, I know I've been mean to you for years, but I want to change that. I want to be friends. Seriously."

My breathing became steady as I raised an eyebrow.

"I know, i know. you don't believe me, and I wouldn't, either. But, I'm being 100% serious. I love you, but I know we'll never happen, so i want to be the next best thing- friends."

He looked at me with his emerald eyes and gave me a look. At that moment, I knew he was genuinely serious, and I had to believe him, so i did.

"Alright, let's be friends," I said, "Ronnie's gonna hate this, but at least I have one less person to watch out for."

He gave me a smile and held out his arms. I walked into them.

"Ronnie doesn't have to know," he said, muffled because his face was in my neck, his snakebites cold against my skin.

We pulled away and i said, "But, he's my fiancee'. How's that gonna stay a secret?"

"He doesn't go looking through your phone or anything, does he?" Max asked, going to the couch and sitting on it.

I sat next to him.

"Nope," I said, "He wouldn't. After all the bad things got pushed to the past, there's nothing but love and trust in our relationship. And, of course, sex," I put my hand on my stomach, "and all the other good things relationships have."

"Yeah, well, we could text," he said, looking at my stomach, "Oh, and congrats!"

"Oh, thank you!" I replied, "She's gonna be my second."

"Oh, yeah. You had Audrey."

He sat up and looked at me. "Hey, why'd you call it 'she?'"

"Oh, well, I have a feeling it's a girl. I was right about Audrey, and I had the same feeling then."

He nodded. "So, do you have any names picked out yet? You're a writer, and you were always good at picking names."

"Mhm, Emma Rae. I think it goes perfectly with the last name. And, thanks."

"Huh," Max said, thinking, "Emma Rae Radke. You're right, I like it."

I sunk back into the couch and sighed. After a moment, Max spoke.

"So, where's Ronnie?"

"He's in the studio with his band, finishing up their album."

"I knew he has a band, I just didn't know they were making an album."

"Yep. I don't know the release date, but I know you wouldn't want to listen to it. In the words of Ronnie, "It's a total break up album, but with a band." It's harsh, dude. Good, but harsh."

Max looked angry for a second, then shook it off and just nodded. It was quiet, then I spoke.

"So, how are the guys? They missing me?"

"Well, all except Craig. He doesn't care about you at all. But, the rest miss you, including me. And, they're good. Michael got a new girlfriend, and she's really nice and pretty. I got a new bass, and we're scheduled to record a music video tomorrow."

"Oh, what song?" I asked, interested.

"Gorgeous Nightmare."

"I heard that song before. It's pretty good."

"Ya think?" he asked, smiling, "We're gonna make the video about the seven deadly sins and stuff like that."

"Well, I can't wait to see it. I know it'll be great," I said, making Max smile more.

"Thanks, CJ. That means a lot," he replied.

His smile faded, then him and I grew silent. After a minute, to get rid of the stinging silence, I asked a question that's been on my mind for a long time.

"Max?"

He looked up from his hands, his nail polish was chipping.

"Yeah?"

I sat up and faced him, "Why does Craig hate me? I mean, what did I do to him?"

He sat up and thought.

"Well, Cas, it's not an easy answer. I know he always said he hates you, but he didn't mean it. I mean, he did, but..."

He loses his words and begins to use his hands. I laughed because I do that too, all the time. He looks at me and laughs.

"Are you amused?" he asks.

I nod, giggling.

"Well, Cas. I really don't know the answer to that. I'll ask him later," he said.

I looked at Max and asked quietly, "Would you do it now, please?"

"'Course, Cas," he replied.

He tok out his phone and texted Craig. After two minutes, his phone buzzed, and Max read the text.

"Woah, curse alert. 'That bitch broke Gab's heart in high school! She fucking gave her a concussion during a fight about their friendship! She hurt my Gab, and I will NEVER forgive her.' Woah, Cas, what did you do?"

At first, I gave him a 'I have no idea what you're talking about' look, but then I suddenly remembered.

"Oh my god, I remember now. I was best friends with this girl named Gab in high school. We were inseperable, and one day, she began dating this one guy, a total jerk. I saw him with a blondie making out, so I confronted Gab about it, because she deserved to know. But, she totally took the jerk's side and yelled at me. I said he was a cheating jerk, and she punched me. She threw the first punch, so I was allowed to hit back, so I did. I was pounding on her and soon, we were in a fight. I don't remember what ended it, but I left and never went near her again, because she was still dating Mr. Jerk face. I didn't know that was Craig's Gab, and I really had no idea I gave her a concussion. So, whatever. It's in the past now."

Max gave me a surprised look, then he texted Craig what I said. Craig replied to the text.

"He said, 'That bitch is gonna die. That guy was me! Gab and I were taking a break!'"

"Uh, no they weren't! And, IDGAF if he hates me! Just don't threaten me, I'll give him a concussion too," I said, sinking into my seat.

Max looked at me, then I said, "Don't tell him I said that."

He nodded, then put his phone away, but not before looking at the time.

"Oh, Cas, I gotta go. Mainly because, I think Ronnie's home."

I got up and looked out the window. I then sighed in relief.

"No, that's Vic. You don't have to leave, Vic won't tell. He's been my best friend for years."

Max got up and hugged me, then went to the door.

"No, Cas, I can't. You don't wanna know what Craig said about you, so I'm gonna knock some sense into him. I'll text ya later, see ya."

"Bye," I said, watching him open the door and exiting.

I heard a couple of 'Hey's,' then Vic walked in.

"Hi, chica!" he said, embracing me in a warm hug.

"Hello, Victor!" I replied, hugging him back, and refusing to let go.

He laughed when he tried to pull away, but he couldn't, and he just kept hugging me.

"What's with the hug, sweetie?" he asked.

"I'm happy," I replied, muffled because my head was in his chest.

"Well, that's good, but why?"

I looked up at him, "Because I finally found out why Craig hates me."

"Oh! Well, first off, why would anyone hate you? And second, what was his reason?"

I let go, grabbed his hand and pulled him to the couch. We both sat down, and I spoke.

"Because I gave his girlfriend a concussion in high school."

Vic started laughing, and I smiled at his laugh.

"It's true. His girl, Gab, and I were best friends in high school, but a jerk, who happened to be Craig, came between her and me. We fought, and I never spoke to her again, I honestly didn't know I gave her a consussion, though."

Vic rested his head on my shoulder and continued to laugh. After a while, he looked up at me and asked, "And Craig's holding a grudge because?"

"I don't even know!" I replied, more like shouted.

He finally controlled his giggles, and said, "It was in the past, you didn't mean to concuss her, he should let it go."

I sighed. "I know, but he won't."

"Why not?"

"Because he's Craig."

Vic nodded, knowing what I meant. After a while, he said, "Well, who needs him? You don't. You have lots of family and friends who love you; it doesn't matter if one person doesn't like you."

I smiled and said, "This is why you're my best friend, Vic. You never fail at making me feel better."

"Aww, chica," he replied, putting his arm around me, and kissing my head, "Te amo, me amiga."

I smiled and kissed his cheek.

He removed his arm from my shoulders and said, "So, my best friend sense is tingling. It's saying you know the gender."

I giggled, "Yes, and, your what?"

"My best friend sense. We're best friends, we have one. If you're bummed about something, or you know something nobody else knows, I know it. It's like spidey sense, or telekenisis."

I rolled my eyes at my best friend, then said, "Mkay, then. Well, I have that feeling again, that says I'm carrying a girl."

"Another chica?" Vic asked, smiling.

"Si," I replied, "Emma Rae Radke."

"I love it! I can't wait to see my 'neice!'" he exclaimed, putting air quotes on 'neice.'

We're not related, but we and the rest of the gang are extremely close, like brother and sister, so they help me, and treat me like their sis. They helped a lot with Audrey, and she still calls them "Uncle Vic," "Uncle Tony," "Uncle Mike." And, I know little Emma's gonna be doing that, too.

"Another girl..." I said.

"Cas, you can't be scared. You had Audrey, and she turned out perfect. Emma's going to be just as perfect as her, and nothing will be different. Well, except the dads, but I know Jaime'll help."

He put his hand on my back and rubbed it.

"Cas, she's going to be just fine."

I nodded. What AM I afraid of?