Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

fourteen;

It was the following night, and Kirby had skipped school. The rumours were everywhere, but funny enough…Zoey’s scandal had blown over and nobody had an interest in her anymore. Zoey had made the unwise decision of going to visit Kirby. After setting up cover-up plans with Zack and Elena, Zoey set off to Kirby’s house.

Knocking on the door, Zoey’s stomach flipped plenty of times and her heart rate increased rapidly. The door swung open, revealing a tired looking Kirby, without his shirt, displaying his well-defined chest and black cross necklace. Zoey forced herself to look away.

“Hey Zoey, what are you doing here?” Kirby asked confused, looking around for anyone that might see them. He was particularly wondering if her brothers would catch her.

“I came to see you, mind if I come in?” Zoey said politely, unable to say no to her, Kirby widened the opening of the door, and waved her in. Zoey politely wiped her feet on the door mat, and entered into the home.

The smell of homemade cooking wafted through the air. Zoey’s stomach growled quietly at the smell. She hadn’t eaten yet and had told her father she was eating at Elena’s.

“Are you hungry?” Kirby teased, smirking at Zoey who blushed slightly.

“Nah, I’m fine…” she insisted, and Kirby shook his head in disbelief and walked into the kitchen, where Dora was happily cooking, and Michael was sitting, watching her carefully.

“Hello Mr and Mrs Jones.” Zoey said politely, and Dora grinned widely at Zoey, putting the ladle down and rushed over, kissing the girl’s cheek.

“Zoey, my dear I thought I told you to call me Dora…” she sang, and Zoey chuckled nervously. Michael glanced over, and gave a timid smile but didn’t speak and returned to watch his wife dancing around the kitchen.

Kirby smiled at the scene and looked at Zoey before saying “Hey Grandma, can Zoey join us for dinner?” he asked, and grinned at Zoey who gave a weak glare.

“Of course she can Kirby! Zoey, we’d be delighted to have you!” Dora exclaimed happily, and Kirby smirked with satisfaction.

“Michael, my dear?” Dora called as she added extra herbs to the sauce. Michael looked up to the sound of his voice and looked at Dora, acknowledging her heard her.

“Would you mind setting another place for Zoey?” she said sweetly, and without a word Michael got up and set another place.

“Come on, we can go up to my room…” Kirby murmured, Zoey nodded and both teenagers went upstairs. Zoey hadn’t seen his bedroom, and surprised to see it was quite clean. He had a double bed in the corner, a few band posters up, and some pictures hung up. There was guitar on its stand in the other corner and a desk with his laptop on, along with a dresser beside it. It was just a regular bedroom.

As Kirby went in, he went to his dresser and got out a t-shirt, and threw it over his head, and Zoey looked away, despite staring at his back on the way up. He really was beautiful.

“So, you missed school today?” Zoey said casually, as Kirby shut the door and shrugged in response.

“I guess, Grandma said I could…I wasn’t feeling well.” He excused, and Zoey nodded.

“Um…Kirby?” she said unsure on how to approach the matter in her head. Kirby sat himself at his desk, and spun his chair to face her.

“Take a seat.” He interrupted, and Zoey did, sitting on the corner of his bed.

“Kirby, did you punch two guys?” Zoey blurted out suddenly, and Kirby looked at her, with a
gaze Zoey couldn’t quite figure out. Kirby smiled to himself, and leaned forward, joining his hands loosely together.

“Do you think I did?” he replied smartly. Zoey blinked, confused and nodded slowly.

“It’s all round school and I wasn’t…I don’t know really…” Zoey babbled and Kirby found it amusing.

“I did.” He confirmed, and got up and walked over to his dresser again and opened up the first drawer.

“Why?” Zoey asked, daringly. Kirby, who wasn’t really looking for anything, slammed the drawer shut and turned around.

“Because those guys should have a bit of respect!” he snapped suddenly, anger filled in his voice. Zoey jumped in surprise, and looked at Kirby, not knowing what to say anymore. Instead, Kirby continued.

“Zoey, I hit those guys because that Sam guy was so fucking disrespectful to you and Ronnie has no excuse for what he did. He deserved it! They both did.” He continued. Zoey nodded, remaining silent.

“Zoey, I really care about you and seeing you upset like that the other day….I don’t know, when you left I just lost it…I went to the gym, found Sam and just punched him. I got sent home, but instead I went to the skate park, I knew Ronnie would be there…he was with his so called friends and I punched Ronnie too. His friends came after me, but Ronnie told them to back off and you know what’s weird?” Kirby said, looking at Zoey softly.
Zoey shook her head.

“He thanked Zoe; he actually thanked me for punching him.” Kirby finished and Zoey was more than shocked.

For the rest of the evening, Kirby and Zoey caught up on what they missed. They confirmed their date for Saturday and sat and had dinner together. Dora chatted excitedly, whereas Michael barely spoke. Zoey accepted it, and didn’t question. When Zoey got home, Lucas asked her how Elena’s was, with some guilt, Zoey replied it was fine.
--
The week seemed to fly by, until it got to Saturday. Previously, Elena and Zoey conjured up their plan for Zoey’s date. They planned that Elena would come up, dressed up slightly, and prepare Zoey for the night, then they would tell the brothers that were still in, that Zoey was going out with Elena’s family for dinner, and that she would be back about eleven.
The late afternoon, Zoey started to prepare for her night. She showered and dried her hair, keeping it straight for Elena to style later. Elena had chosen the designated dress so Zoey placed that on and decorated it with the correct shoes, she chose the safe option of simple black flats in case they were walking, and a long necklace, with some black bracelets. By the time Elena came round, it was about half six, which gave her plenty of time to do Zoey’s hair and makeup. Elena, being the fashion guru she is, decided that the best hairstyle would be to do a loose plait to the side, curling Zoey’s bangs. The whole effect added casualness.

Once her makeup was done, which was again simple and elegant. Zoey began to feel the nerves kick in.

“Why am I doing this? He doesn’t even want a girlfriend….” Zoey whispered, in case Kennedy was lurking around anywhere.

“Look, you like him right?” Elena asked, and for once Zoey admitted it, and nodded. She did like Kirby and more than friends.

“Then go for it. Just see how the night goes….” She urged, and Elena began to put the makeup she had used away. Thankfully, Zoey had told Kirby she’d meet him down the block. So Elena and Zoey bid their goodbyes, and luckily Jonah and Tommy, with Kennedy watching, were too busy playing video games so didn’t notice how dressed up their sister was. Marcus was still in England, but would be returning tomorrow.

“So let’s just go over this…” Elena said as they got in the car and they drove further down the street, where they planned to meet Kirby.

“I’ll meet you here at five to eleven and you drive me all the way up to the house, so they think we’ve been out…” Zoey confirmed. Elena nodded, and smiled at her best friend.

“Hey Zoe?” she said, and Zoey, who’s leg had been shaking, stopped and looked at Elena expectantly.

“You look gorgeous.” Elena said softly. Zoey smiled widely “Thanks El” she murmured and as Elena pulled up at their waiting spot, Zoey hugged her.

“Have a good time, call me if you need me.” Elena vowed. Zoey nodded and her heart fluttered, as she saw Kirby’s car pull up in front of them.

“This is it…” Zoey said excitedly, Elena nodded and grinned at her.

“Good luck!” she said, as Zoey got out the car.

“Thanks” she whispered, and closed the door, and walked over to Kirby’s car, just as Kirby got out.

“You look beautiful Zoe” he said, and they hugged in greeting. Zoey blushed and thanked him, they got back in the car and drove off for their date, excitement was high.
--
“So, what’s on the agenda?” Zoey asked, as she shifted comfortable. Kirby turned down the radio and looked at her, looking her up and down again, amazed on how great she really did look.

“Well you have the choice, movie and a dinner….or dinner and the beach?” Kirby offered, knowing they wouldn’t have time for everything.

“Dinner and the beach sounds good…” Zoey said, and Kirby grinned, nodding.

“Cool, so you like Chinese?” he asked, and Zoey smiled triumphantly.

“I love Chinese” she confirmed.

“Aw, shame we’re having McDonald’s” he teased, and Zoey giggled. Kirby indicated down a street, Zoey took the moment to see what he was wearing, he looked so smart with dark skinny jeans and plain white t-shirt, but he was wearing a blazer over the top with the sleeves rolled up. His tattoo could be seen and Zoey smiled at the memory of first meeting him.

“So how are your Grandparents?” Zoey asked kindly, remembering the lovely dinner they had had a few days before.

“Grandma’s okay, been busy and stuff….um Pops isn’t doing too well actually.” Kirby said, a hint of sadness in his tone. Kirby didn’t look at ahead, keeping his focus on the road. Zoey gave a sympathetic look.

“What’s wrong?” she felt she had to ask. Kirby shifted slightly, feeling nervous.

“Um, Grandma took Pops to the hospital the other day, just a check-up but…it looks like Pops is degenerating quicker than anyone thought. He’s gone into the advanced stage of Alzheimer’s…” Kirby trailed off into silence. Zoey sighed softly.

“I’m so sorry Kirby….so what does it mean?” Zoey asked, slightly confused. Again, Kirby rearranged himself, and without her noticing, his grip on the steering wheel tightened.

“That Pop’s organs are going to fail him eventually, his body will soon forget how to operate and he’s going to forget me completely and my Grandma…everything.” He said bitterly, gritting his teeth. Zoey felt her heart go out to him.

“That’s awful, I’m so sorry.” Zoey murmured and Kirby nodded.

“Yeah well not much I can do is there?” he remarked miserably, and pulled into the parking lot of the Chinese restaurant. Kirby turned off the engine, and they both unbuckled but didn’t move from their seats.

“Look Zoey…” Kirby began, and picked up her hand closest to him, interlacing their fingers. Zoey’s heart elated and tingles went down her fingers.

“Mind if we not talk about this anymore. I just want to enjoy tonight, with you.” Kirby mumbled gently, looking at her. Zoey nodded, speechless. He let her hand go, and they both got out, only when they began to walk to the door, did Kirby take her hand again, gripping it gently.

They were seated immediately, and the conversation just flowed from holidays, school, college and literally anything that came up. It was so easy for them to talk and to joke, and to just hang out. There was no pressure when it was just them. No thoughts of over-protective brothers, no thoughts of grandfathers…just them.

When dessert came, the subject of Zoey’s mother somehow came up. They were sharing some ice cream which was a speciality here.

“How did she die?” Kirby asked softly, as he ate another small spoonful of creamy delight.
Zoey did the same, and waited till she swallowed before answering. She licked her lips and tried to organise her thoughts together.

“She was shot.” She replied, and Kirby froze, putting the spoon down gently.

“Oh I’m so-” he began but Zoey stopped him, smiling reassuringly.

“No, it’s fine…had to come out eventually right?” Zoey said, suddenly not wanting any more ice cream. She put her own spoon down and sat back in her chair.

“She went out to go get some groceries but our local market was closed down for reconstruction and as you can imagine with six hungry kids, and one tired husband, we needed this food. So without telling my Dad as she knew he’d flip out. My Mom went to down the East Side of town, which is a lot rougher. Mom went into this dodgy market, got everything and went to the cashier. She walked out, and there was a drive by shooting…Mom was in the way of their supposed target, they were by the front of the store too…Mom fell to the ground immediately, right in her heart.” Zoey said emotionlessly.

Kirby wasn’t sure what to do, or say.

“That’s terrible…I can’t imagine how much that…” Kirby stopped, as he saw Zoey looked at her lap. He reached across, taking her hand again. She looked up and gave a weak smile.

“She died there and then. We were devastated, the whole family turned to mush. My Mom was like the glue that held us all together you know?” Zoey said and Kirby nodded in agreement.

“Drew took charge, keeping it together for us but he was hurting just as much as us. I failed school almost and without Drew I barely would have made it….Tommy was bad too, completely flew off the handle, then one day he went out got this tattoo of an angel on his shoulder and it looked so much like our Mom, he did it in remembrance and it was like that ink on his skin was a guardian or something because he pulled himself together, helping
Drew with Kenny and Jonah who behaved terribly, got cautioned twice. Lucas was just quiet, not really talking much…and My Dad…well he’s never quite been the same.” Zoey finished, and Kirby listened patiently.

“I’m sure your Mom was a wonderful person, bet she was beautiful too” Kirby murmured, squeezing her hand. Zoey smiled weakly, nodding in agreement.

“You’re just like her then” Kirby added, and Zoey looked up, surprised by his comment. She felt her heart squeeze and her grip on his hand too.

“Want to hit the beach?” Kirby offered suddenly, and Zoey smiled in response. Kirby got the cheque, insisting he’d pay for the entire meal. Zoey thanked him profusely, and there was no other mention of Carmen.

They mutually decided to walk to the beach, seeing as it wasn’t far away. When they reached it Zoey immediately took her shoes off and allowed her toes to squeeze the sand between her toes. Kirby smiled at her, draping his arm over her shoulder as they walked, her arm around his back.

“So, had a good night?” Kirby asked as a gust of cool breeze hit them. Zoey inhaled deeply, taking in the salty air. She felt so relaxed and content here.

“Course I did…thank you for everything.” Zoey said brightly, and Kirby smiled, pleased with himself.

“I guess I should I tell you a secret…” Kirby began, teasing in his tone. Zoey quirked an eyebrow and looked up at him in curiosity.

“Oh yes? What is it then?” Zoey asked, excited. Kirby smirked and brought Zoey closer to him, he dropped his arm and took off his jacket, draping his jacket over her shoulders. Zoey looked at him, glaring in a joking manner.

“Who said I was cold?” she asked, she was clearly lying.

“The goose bumps on your skin” Kirby replied knowingly. Zoey huffed, but pushed her arms through his jacket. It smelled exactly like him, that cologne and mints. She loved it, it was so addicting. Kirby smirked at her.

“You look so cute.” He chuckled, and took her hand, interlocking their fingers again. He stroked his thumb on top of hers. She looked down at their hands, blushing, and smiled, biting her lip to contain her happiness.

“Thanks for the jacket.” Zoey said softly, and Kirby nodded, satisfied.

“Anyways, what’s this secret?” Zoey asked suddenly, wanting to know again. Kirby looked down at their feet, her bare ones; her toes were painted dark blue and his own shoes, black pumps.

“The secret is Zoey Titian…” Kirby began, looking down at her again, seeing as she was so petite against him. He smiled, wanting to kiss her.

Zoey waited eagerly for what he had to say, her stomach in butterflies. “Yes….” She urged, and Kirby grinned wider.

“I like you.” He finished, and Zoey smiled, her cheeks aching from how big her smile was. It didn’t take an interrupter to translate at what he was getting at.

“Really?” she asked in disbelief. Kirby nodded.

“Oh yeah, I really like you…” Kirby said, adding emphasis on the ‘really’. Zoey squeezed his hand once.

“I like you too Kirby.” She replied warmly. Kirby smiled back, his own heart elated. Then as if it was a car accident, reality hit Zoey.

“Wait…if you like me….why did you tell Zack that you weren’t into dating anyone…or you know….having a girlfriend?” Zoey asked, stuttering over her words as nerves hit her again.
Kirby took a second to recollect when he said this. He blinked, and made a face of realisation.

“Oh that! Well…thing is I lied.” Kirby said sheepishly. Zoey looked at him confused, hoping he’d expand.

“I told Zack that stuff because your brother walked right by Zack asked me if I liked anyone. I was going to say it was you, but then Jonah appeared and I knew if I did, you’d get into trouble and I’d most likely be punched. You told me how protective they were…” Kirby explained, and Zoey didn’t believe she could be happier.

“So, you do like me? As in…” Zoey began.

“Zoey, I like you and I’m hoping that we could….you know date?” Kirby asked, sounding nervous. Zoey smiled, admiring how adorable he looked. Zoey stopped walking, as did Kirby.

“I suppose.” She teased, and Kirby laughed, and leaned down and kissed her cheek.

“You’re too adorable…” he mused, as his grip tightened on her hand.

“I try….oh; I have something to ask of you first…” Zoey said suddenly, realising what this would entail. Kirby waited for her to continue.

“I want to date you, but if we could keep it under wraps for a while….I need to break it gently to my brothers…and my Dad.” Zoey said, laughing nervously. Kirby smiled, still amused.

“Course” he said, not minding the arrangement. Zoey nodded and they both began their walk back, hand in hand, both feeling beyond happy.

Driving back to the designated spot, they continued their date, laughing and joking around.
As they waited for Elena to appear, they got out the car and they hugged goodbye, Kirby kept hold of her.

“I’m glad you agreed to come out with me” He murmured, his thumbs were slowly stroking her hips. Zoey smiled at him.

“Me too…” she whispered. Kirby began to lean in, as did Zoey and just as their lips were going to touch and magic was going to happen, bright headlights shone at them, making Zoey jump away in shock.

It was Elena.

“That little…” Zoey grumbled, as she shielded her eyes from the glare and saw Elena frantically waving her in.

“I guess I’ll see you Monday?” Kirby said, he too sounded disappointed. Zoey nodded, unable to form words just yet. Kirby quickly leaned in and kissed her cheek.

“Goodnight Zoey.” He whispered in her ear.

“Goodnight Kirby.” She whispered back, and quickly went over to Elena’s car, and got in, only to be drove away immediately, not even paying attention to anything her friend was saying. She was still waiting for her body to wake up. It had to be dream. It just had to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay update, had a busy few days :)
Anyways, what do you think?
Comments would be great<3