Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

nineteen;

“I’m sorry Zoe” Elena murmured as Zoey lay down on Elena’s bed, sighing sadly. She had just told her the story, and Elena was outraged on how her brother’s had acted.

“Hmm, nothing I can do about it…they’re stubborn fools.” Zoey said, and Elena nodded, she knew just how stubborn they were. The two girls stayed in silence, and Elena slowly sat herself down on her desk chair, watching Zoey.

“Have you spoke to Kirby?” Elena asked suddenly, breaking the silence. Zoey propped herself up slightly, and looked at Elena.

“Last night, he was caring about it.” She said softly, before lying back down on her back. Elena nodded, and twirled slowly in her chair, thinking of the right thing to say.

“So have your status’s been changed now?” Elena asked.

“Yep, about ten people liked it…” Zoey said, Elena perked up in interest.

“Really?” she asked slowly.

“Yeah, and what was strange, Ronnie liked it too.” Zoey said Elena frowned slightly. Her opinion on Ronnie Gink had changed dramatically after hearing about his little love confession and his kiss on Zoey.

“What a douche.” Elena mumbled, picking at her nails. Zoey made an agreeing noise before slowly sitting up; she gave a slight smile at Elena.

“Thanks by the way, for helping me sneaks around…I never truly thanked you did I?” Zoey said, feeling a bit guilty for taking advantage of her friend. Elena shrugged, giving an easy going smile.

“No need to, I would help you out anytime Zoey, you know that.” Elena said, waving her hand dismissively. Zoey grinned.

“Thanks El, I really appreciate it anyways…” Zoey said firmly, Elena nodded and smiled and noticed Zoey was smiling a bit too widely.

“What’s going on?” she asked, and Zoey giggled.

“Why don’t you and Zack just face your true feelings? You’re crazy about each other!” Zoey said enthusiastically. Elena rolled her eyes.

“No Zoey, he doesn’t like me.” She reassured her friend who laughed freely.

“He’s completely in love with you, has been since what sophomore year?” Zoey laughed, and Elena stood up, and wandered over to the bed, sitting by Zoey.

“You know something?” she asked, smirking at Zoey, who managed to tone down her giggles. Zoey perked an eyebrow. Without her noticing, Elena grabbed a pillow and bashed the back of Zoey’s head.

Zoey groaned in pretend pain, and Elena giggled. “You’re too nosey for your own good!” Elena squealed, and the girls burst into hysterics and a pillow war broke out.
--

Two weeks passed and despite her family troubles, where Tommy, Drew and Jonah were purposely ignoring their sister, Zoey was happy. She truly was. She spent all her free time with Kirby, who still hadn’t come round to the house. The couple were just crazy about one another, and seemed to fit together perfectly.

With one another’s company, school was flying by and Zoey was beginning to get excited about summer. There was about another three months left, and Zoey knew at this rate, they would soon be gone and she would have an amazing summer before entering her final year as a senior.

It was Saturday afternoon, and Kirby had to stay at home to look after Michael, whose condition was worsening. Kirby had chosen to keep this information private from his girlfriend and friends. He didn’t want their sympathy. Michael was getting much worse, he was beginning to forget to use the toilet, and his immune system was failing and he was beginning to get symptoms of the flu.

Being ordered to bed by his wife, Michael was safely tucked in while Dora had to go round town for groceries and errands. Kirby was so surprised on how his Grandmother was acting, so confident and so….un-sad.

She was coping, and it shocked Kirby who at any private, spare moment, revealed his true worry and stress. He’d been running every morning lately, just to get his frustrations out. For now, he was at home but Dora had allowed Zoey to come round for the day. She trusted her Grandson.

Kirby and Zoey were currently in the garden, lying on the picnic blanket Kirby had found in the garage. Zoey was sunbathing in the sun while Kirby messed around on his guitar.
Facing opposite one another, Zoey sighed in contentment as the afternoon sun gazed on her. She had rolled up her t-shirt, revealing her stomach which every now and again Kirby glanced at.

Kirby began to play familiar tune which Zoey instantly recognised.

“You played that song at the barbeque.” She murmured as she propped herself on her elbows, looking at Kirby, who was leaning back against the tree, the blanket was position perfectly half under the tree for Kirby who wasn’t a big fan of getting burnt, and half in the sun for Zoey to sunbathe.

“I did indeed…” Kirby said, as he continued to play it again. Zoey grinned, and sat up right, shielding her eyes to watch Kirby. He closed his eyes and his fingers played, and Zoey found she was mesmerized.

“You’re amazing…” Zoey said gently, as he drew to a close. Opening his eyes, Kirby smiled, putting his guitar to the side, he beckoned Zoey closer. She got on her knees, and crawled over, and slide between his legs, slouching against his back. Kirby wrapped his arms around her stomach and kissed her cheek.

“So are you.” He whispered in her ear, kissing it gently. Zoey smiled, and stroked his hand softly, she looked up at him, gazing. He looked down, noticing and smiled slightly. He pecked her lips and she moved her head back to facing the front.

“It’s time like this where you’re happy to be a teenager.” Kirby admitted and Zoey nodded in agreement.

“Life’s too short to take for granted.” Zoey replied softly, closing her eyes. She could hear Kirby breathing and it soothed her somehow.

“How are you’re brothers?” Kirby asked gently, he knew how much this hurt Zoey to be shunned by her own family. He felt her shift before settling back down and replying.

“Lucas and Kennedy are still talking to me and my Dad’s been really supportive, he actually told me that you should come round for dinner tomorrow.” Zoey said, remembering what her father had told her before she had left to come to Kirby’s house. Kirby glanced down at her peaceful face, a surprised expression on his own.

“Really?” he asked, watching her, as her eyes fluttered open. She glanced up and nodded.

“Uh-huh, says it’s time for you to meet him…” Zoey said, feeling nervous in her stomach. Kirby smiled encouragingly.

“You okay with that?” he asked, and Zoey nodded eagerly.

“Of course, I really want you to meet my Dad…then he’ll know why I’m going out with you.” Zoey said, teasing towards the end. Kirby chuckled gently, and kissed her again.

“I’d love to come, as long as your brothers don’t kill me” he joked, but he half meant it seriously. He knew how bad they were.

“Well the others aren’t coming, Drew’s being sleeping at girl’s houses, and Tommy’s been crashing at Derek’s place…and Jonah will somehow find a way of not turning up.” Zoey said, feeling even sadder about her family situation. Kirby sighed, and leaned his chin on top of her head gently.

“It’ll be okay eventually.” He assured her, but Zoey was still naïve about it. She doubted her brother’s would ever apologise, or even talk to her again. But giving up Kirby would be too much.

“What date is it today?” Zoey suddenly asked, sounding panicked. Kirby sat up.

“The tenth, why?” he mused, but couldn’t help feel concern about her tone of voice. Zoey moved again before settling down against him.

“Oh…” she said sadly, she felt even worse for forgetting what was coming up so soon. Kirby sat up even more.

“Everything okay?” he asked worriedly, seeing Zoey’s frown. She fiddled with her fingers, and nodded.

“Yeah, everything’s fine.” She reassured him, but the undertone meant she didn’t want to talk about it. Kirby didn’t push it; he knew when to back off. He nodded and hugged her tighter, but mentally remembering to ask if it was again mentioned.
--

The following evening, Kirby was told to come at seven. Marcus and Lucas were cooking, which allowed Kennedy and Zoey to prepare the table and get the house ready for his arrival. Zoey was a bundle of nerves, and kept doing ‘finishing touches’ on everything and also going round fixing everything Kennedy did, which annoyed him no end.

She managed to throw an outfit together just in time, she decided on dark red skinny jeans and baggy grey t-shirt which fell off her left shoulder, decorating with a black long star necklace and some bracelets. Zoey ruffled up her hair and quickly touched up her makeup and bolted downstairs. She breezed into the kitchen, checking everything was secure.

Just like she had predicted the others were out and were refusing to join in on this special occasion for Zoey. Zoey in a way didn’t mind, as she wanted this evening to be enjoyable not tense and awkward.

“Peanut, calm down….” Marcus laughed, amused that his daughter was no nervous.

“I can’t!” she argued quietly, as she moved the plates half centimetre to the left. Kennedy came in and smiled at his sister.

“You look pretty.” He murmured and out of impulse, Zoey hugged him and whispered for him to be good and hold back on the embarrassing stories. Lucas secretly smirked as he chopped the herbs; he too was amused by his sister’s frantic behaviour.

Six on the dot, Kirby rang the doorbell and Zoey willed herself to breathe. She walked to answer the door, and opened the door slowly, smiling at her boyfriend nervously.

“You okay?” he asked, seeing her cheeks a bit tinged red. Zoey breathed in deeply, blowing out air immediately after.

“Um…yeah.” She said unsure and they hugged in greeting, Kirby sneaked a peck on the cheek and then revealed some flowers from behind his back. They were beautiful red roses with white baby’s breath too. Zoey immediately relaxed, and smiled up at him.

“They for me?” she breathed softly, rubbing the bottom of her neck nervously. Kirby smirked gently, his eyes twinkling.

“Nah, for your Dad…” he said seriously, and Zoey immediately giggled, blushing looking at her feet. Kirby copied and then looked at her again, handing the flowers over. Zoey took them, and smelled them; they did smell gorgeous, just as they looked. Stepping back and letting him in, Kirby stepped further in and closed the door behind him.

“Thank you…” she murmured, and sniffed them again, the addictive scent of the roses drifted up her nose. She beamed at him and had to hug him again.

“You’re welcome.” He said sincerely. Zoey grinned nervously, and nodded.

“So yeah, you can take your jacket off…” she said, and Kirby did just that, draping it over the back of the couch. Zoey felt awkward and glanced at the kitchen door, where she heard Kennedy whisper something.

She rolled her eyes “They’re in here…” she said, and Kirby followed after her. He tried to
walk with confidence, and gave a polite smile as he saw the faces of Zoey’s father and two of her brothers.

“Dad, Lucas, Kennedy….this is Kirby, my boyfriend.” Zoey introduced nervously, as she put the flowers on the side. Lucas nodded, giving a small smile and Kirby copied. Kennedy beamed at him, which made Kirby laugh, and the tension eased.
Then came the big part, Kirby stepped forward and held out his hand “Good evening Mr Titian, thank you for having me” He introduced confidently. Surprised, but pleased Marcus took the offering hand and shook it firmly.

“Um, Good evening Kirby, and it’s a pleasure to have you.” He said cheerily, and then he quickly added.

“And please call me Marcus, Mr Titian makes me feel old.” He teased, and Kirby chuckled politely. Zoey glanced between her father and boyfriend and quickly went to go put the
flowers in water. Thankfully, Kennedy took this moment to strike up conversation.

“Do you like basketball?” he asked eagerly and Kirby nodded “I do, not a great player though…” Kirby admitted nervously, Kennedy grinned.

“It’s okay, you can’t suck as bad as Zoey…” he teased and Kirby chuckled, believing the story. Zoey placed the vase of flowers on the kitchen windowsill and smiled at her brother.

“That is true…” she confessed. Marcus glanced at Lucas, who nodded and began to ask Kirby questions. The usual were asked about what college Kirby wanted to go to, what he wanted to do with his life, why did he move, who were his family, what were his talents?

Kirby answered every single one confidently and politely, he engaged in the conversation as the two men finished preparing dinner. Kirby even offered to help, which scored extra point with Marcus, but he insisted that they were okay.

“So Kirby, to be included in this family there is one final question to be asked…” Lucas said seriously, and Kirby took a silent deep breath. Zoey glanced at Lucas worrying he may turn too serious on him.

Not letting on, Lucas asked in the most serious tone he could muster: “How good are you at Zombie Attack?” Lucas’s lips turned up to a smirk, and Kirby instantly relaxed, grinning at the brother.

“I’m confident that I could beat you.” He remarked teasingly, and then it was official that the air was officially cleared, and Kirby felt more than comfortable in Marcus and Lucas’s presence.

Marcus chuckled, and Lucas smirked wider, Kennedy made a promise of a game after dinner and Zoey insisted they go into the living room. After ten minutes alone, Zoey made sure Kirby was okay and he reassured her everything was fine. Then Marcus called for dinner.

The five sat down at the table, passing around food and engaging in topics of conversation, it easily flowed and Zoey was thankful for it.

After dinner, Kirby offered to help clean up which again scored points with Marcus, who politely insisted that Kirby should go in the living room with the others. Lucas however did help while Kennedy and Zoey set up the video game.

A tournament was set up between them, they went in pairs of Kennedy and Lucas and Zoey
with Kirby, Marcus was the empire while drinking a cup of coffee, enjoying the noise of his family.

He smiled slightly, as he watched Zoey’s excited face as her and Kirby scored another ten points, they shared a victorious high five. He noticed Kirby smiled at her brightly, and his eyes stayed at hers. This boy truly did have feelings for his daughter.

When Kirby and Zoey won the first game, Lucas switched with Marcus and they played again. Marcus and Kennedy won, and shamefully it was due to Marcus practising so much. Another hour of playing went by, swapping teams and partners. True to his word Kirby did in fact beat Lucas on a one-on-one game. Lucas took it all in good spirit.

When it almost time for Kirby to be home, he thanked Marcus and Lucas for dinner, gave
Kennedy a high five and Zoey walked him to the door. Zoey’s father and older brother busied themselves while Kennedy ran upstairs, uninterested.

“Thanks for having me.” Kirby said softly, he genuinely had a good time. Zoey smiled up at him, a warm feeling in her stomach.

“It’s okay, it appears we all had a good time…” Zoey mused, and Kirby chuckled slightly. He leaned down and pecked her lips, however Zoey tugged him firmer, so they kissed properly. They broke apart, smiling and Kirby pecked her lips again.

“Goodnight Zoey.” He murmured, brushing back her hair. Zoey bit back a grin.

“Goodnight Kirby.” She murmured back, and watched as he stepped out to the cool night, pulling his leather jacket back on. He stepped down the porch, waving at Zoey before retreating to his car. Zoey didn’t close the door till he drove off.

With the door now closed, Zoey turned to see Lucas and Marcus by the kitchen door, looking at her proudly.

“He’s a pretty cool guy.” Lucas said happily, as his hands hugged a cup of coffee. Marcus nodded in agreement.

“We approve Zoey; he’s a very nice young man…” Marcus said. Zoey beamed at them both and rushed over and hugged her father and carefully hugging Lucas.

“Thank you for being so nice to him.” Zoey said, feeling happier the fact part of her family liked him. Marcus nodded in a sign that it was okay. Practically skipping upstairs, Zoey went to go inform Elena and Zack on the successful evening before retiring to bed.

Lucas glanced at his father, an easy smile on his lips, Marcus smiled back, and between the two, a look of approval was given, and to confirm, so was a nod. They both approved of this Kirby Jones.
♠ ♠ ♠
This a filler chapter, but had a bit of cuteness, a bit more drama next chapter :)

What you think? <3

Thank you for those who commented, it really helps! :D