Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

twenty-one;

Lucas Titian opened the fridge that following day in search for something to eat. His eyes lit up as he spotted the chocolate spread and the cinnamon bagel beside them. He took the items out and began to make himself a sandwich. Spreading the chocolate on evenly, he looks up when he hears Drew walk in. His older brother had just been to the gym.

“Sup Luc” Drew murmured, as he slid into a stool, facing Luc as he made another bagel for Drew who stared at it ravenously.

“How was the gym?” Lucas asked nonchalantly, as he handed Drew a bagel and took a bite of his own, chewing slowly, savouring the taste.

“Good, I got a date next week with this girl that was working out next to me. She was so hot!” Drew exclaimed happily. Luc found it strange how Drew dealt with things. Yesterday he was solemn and quiet, just like everyone else in the family. Today he turned back to himself, and acted like everything was okay again.

“Nice.” Lucas commented, not really interested. The two stayed silent as they ate respectfully, and it was then Lucas spoke again.

“You know you owe Zoe an apology…” Lucas said casually as he put the chocolate spread back in the fridge, along with the bagels. Drew licked his finger as some chocolate was still left, and he looked at his brother guiltily.

“I messed up didn’t I?” he asked quietly, looking down at the countertop, staring at his reflection, he instantly looked away.

“Oh yeah – big time” Lucas emphasized. Drew sighed and leant his head on his hand, and watched as Luc began to make himself a drink, he held out two cups to imply if he wanted a drink, Drew nodded in acceptance.

“I didn’t mean what I said – any of it. I just, I went completely off the handle and I couldn’t pull myself together. I just saw white.” Drew explained shyly. Lucas nodded, understanding slightly.

“I don’t understand why you got that pissed though, I mean…come on, Dad handled it way better.” Luc said, spooning sugar into the cups.

“I guess because Zoey reminds me so much of Mom…and the mere thought of losing Zoey just drives me to a blinding anger. I guess something to do with the fact that I don’t want Zoey to ever have sex could have something to do with it…” Drew said, and Luc laughed slightly at the ridiculous notion that Drew had in his mind.

“I understand about the Mom thing, but Drew be realistic…she’s seventeen and she’s going to get married and have kids one day. Zoey is growing up and you have to face that.” Lucas explained as he poured the coffee into the mugs. He handed one of the cups to Drew, who nodded appreciatively and mumbled a: “Thanks”

“In my eyes Luc, Zoey will always be that six year old little girl that wanted her fourteen year old brother to take her to the park and to push her on the swings – I was her role model after Mom and Dad….and I prided in that. But after Mom died I completely fucked up, I mean look at me Luc, I haven’t graduated college yet and I sleep with tons of woman every week. I’m a screw-up.”

“We all wish Zoey didn’t grow up, it’s because she’s the only girl. We’re protective of her naturally…but it happens Drew and don’t talk so bad about yourself, you haven’t fucked up. You really helped out after Mom died and so what you sleep around….I have faith that when you find the right girl, you’ll settle down. But the question is Drew…what are you so afraid of happening to Zoey right now? Why did you act so badly?” Lucas explained, leaning forward on the counter, his hands nursed around the mug.

Drew sighed into his cup as he sipped and swallowed. “That she’d end up with someone that behaves like me.” Drew admitted sheepishly. Lucas nodded, knowing that was the reason all along but he knew his brother needed to admit it himself.

“Kirby is a really cool guy Drew; he’s completely devoted to our sister…” Luc reasoned and Drew nodded.

“Yeah, Kennedy told me.” He mumbled, as he sipped his drink again. Luc nodded, satisfied that they got somewhere with the dilemma.

“Just say sorry Drew, she deserves it. All this protesting about her having a boyfriend is just going to push Zoey away and then she won’t want anything to do with you” Lucas said, before picking up his cup and walking out, leaving Drew to his guilt-filled thoughts.
--

That same day, Kirby and Zoey were in Kirby’s back garden again once school had finished. They hadn’t talked much yesterday, Kirby stayed for a while, and talked to Zoey, like she needed and at seven, he said goodbye and thanked Marcus for having him.

Today, Kirby was determined to cheer Zoey up, mostly because he hated seeing her so upset but that determination made him forget his own family issues. The worrying rate of his Grandfather’s illness was beginning to get to him. Kirby hadn’t slept properly in days.

The whole atmosphere of his home was below awful. Pop’s health wasn’t getting any better, each day he had no recollection of Kirby and by the time he had a small remembrance of him, by the time Kirby left to go get him a drink when he returned, Pop’s forgot again.

Dora’s high spirits were fading, and she was beginning to come to terms with the fact that the man she married so long ago and had loved every single day since she met him was not him anymore.

“What was she like?” Kirby asked softly, as he stroked Zoey’s hair as her head lay on his stomach as he was lying down, they were in a T-shape, quite comfortably and had been for the past forty minutes. Zoey was fiddling with a piece of grass, tearing into pieces and letting it fall to the ground, then she picked up another strand and repeated.

“My Mom?” Zoey asked uncertainly.

“Yeah” Kirby replied, as he curled a strand of hair around his finger, and letting it bounce back into place.

“Amazing, she was amazing.” Zoey said, in a slight daze.

“What’s your favourite memory with her?” Kirby asked gently, and Zoey thought for a moment. There were many but one stuck out.

“I remember this time where Mom woke up me really early on a Monday morning, and she told me I wasn’t going to school. I was really confused…when I finally got up, she told me to pack a bag of spare clothes and my swimming costume and to hurry up and get downstairs…” Zoey began, smiling to herself and Kirby patiently listened.

“I was only ten at the time and being naïve as I was, I done as she said. It was like five in the morning or something and nobody else was awake. I go downstairs and my Mum’s making us food. I try and steal some but she slaps my hand away…” Zoey laughed to herself and it made Kirby instantly smile.

“I asked her where we going and she said it was a surprise…so Mom starts packing up the car and I’m like really worried because my Dad has no idea and my brothers were still asleep. Mom wrote a note and told me to get in. I did as she said and suddenly we were driving, listening to the stereo of her favourite song…” Zoey said.

“What was it?” Kirby asked interestedly.

“Piano Man by Billy Joel, she adored all of his songs but this one was her favourite…” Zoey said, smiling as a familiar warm feeling filled her stomach.

“What happened then? Where did you go?” Kirby asked, wanting to know more.

“We drove for like two hours and we finally pulled up at this beautiful white sand beach and the sun had just set. We set up on the sand, and finally Mom explained what was going on. She told me that it was just going to be ‘our’ day, with just us girls. No boys, no baby’s, no husband. Just her and I, she cuddled me close and kissed my cheek and told me that I was her little girl.” Zoey said, smiling wider. Kirby smiled as he heard the happiness in her voice.

“I asked her if my Dad would get mad and she told me he already knew…but the boys would be jealous which is why we had to leave secretively. Kennedy would have wanted to come too….” Zoey continued.

“So what did you do at the beach?” Kirby asked, knowing Zoey was enjoying telling the story.

“We made sandcastles and we played in the water and went swimming. Mom would read her book, while I buried her legs in sand…” Zoey said, laughing as she remembering telling her Mom that she looked like a mermaid.

“Hours went by, we had a picnic and we talked about everything. Then we got changed and Mom packed up the car again, except we didn’t get in, we walked to the nearest pier and there was this huge carnival there. I begged to go and Mom agreed, we went on loads of rides and ate tons of junk food. I think I threw up at one point…” Zoey said, amused. Kirby chuckled as he heard her tone.

“Mom won the ring toss, she got me this cuddly toy duck and we named him Henry…” Zoey said, and Kirby quickly interrupted.
“Is that the duck on your bed?” he asked, realisation hitting him. Zoey giggled and nodded.

“Yeah, I’ve kept him all this time, and he always sits on my bed.” Zoey told him.

“What happened after the carnival?” Kirby asked softly.

“We got back in the car and we drove home, I fell asleep and listened as my Mom sang to Billy Joel, we got home at about two in the morning, I was so tired but without a doubt, that’s the best day I ever had.” Zoey finished. Kirby sat up slightly, glancing at Zoey’s body, and smiling at her.

“Your Mom sound awesome.” He tells her, and Zoey sits up, and Kirby’s face nears her.

“She was.” She murmured in agreement, her eyes flickering to his lips and back to his gorgeous eyes. Kirby smirked slightly, and leaned a tad closer, their lips just about to touch.
Their lips met, and instantly the passion fizzed.

Just as the kiss deepened, a loud band made them jump apart. Kirby looked to the source, and found Dora smirking at them.

“Food is ready my dears…” she said sweetly, before disappearing back into the kitchen. Kirby wiped his lips with his thumb and laughed awkwardly while Zoey buried her head in his shoulder.

“Please say your Grandma didn’t just catch up almost making out…” Zoey mumbled, embarrassedly. Her cheeks flushed red. Kirby laughed nervously and nodded, which cause a groan from Zoey.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I said this would contain the brothers more...but I didn't want to jump straight into it after the mother's death anniversary...so this is a filler, showing how Drew feels and Kirby cheered Zoey up...next one should be up tomorrow, fairly early as it's already written! :)

I'd really appreciate some comments and thank you so much to all those who already have, it truly does help and is always appreciated, much love <3