Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

eight;

Kennedy was sitting in the armchair, curled up and was occasionally peeking out the window, awaiting his sister’s arrival home. He knew something was wrong when he heard Jonah pull up, and saw Zoey wasn’t there.

“Luc!” Kenny called, and Lucas who had picked Kennedy up that afternoon came back from the kitchen, with some biscuits in his hand.

“What’s up buddy?” he asked, and sat on the sofa, and saw that Kennedy was watching cartoons.

“Anyone seen my lucky guitar pick?” Tommy asked casually as he bombarded downstairs, without his shirt, and when he bent down to pick up Kennedy’s shoe which Kenny had so kindly left in the middle of the room, you could see the tattoo which no one questioned that was inked on Tommy’s shoulder.Tommy’s tattoo had never been truly questioned, this was because the tattoo wasn’t an act of rebellion.

It was an act of memory, their mother Carmen had died and it was with respect that Tommy wanted to get this tattoo, of an angel and to have their mother’s name and date of her death inked underneath.

Kennedy glanced at it, and smiled because the angel that was printed on there, Kennedy was sure looked like their mother, the hair colour was the same, and it looked beautiful, just like their mother. Kennedy had seen photos.

“Jonah’s here without Zoey” Kennedy said at last, and Tommy spun around, shocked.
Jonah had finally decided to come in and slammed the door.

“Where’s Zoey?” Lucas asked, hoping to hear she was just at Elena’s, or even Zack’s.

“School probably.” Jonah snapped.

“Why?” Tommy demanded.

“Cause she wanted to walk home!” Jonah shouted, and began to descend up the stairs, when Tommy frantically pulled him back, almost slamming him into the wall.

“What did you do?” he asked darkly, and Jonah refused to look at him.

“JONAH!” he yelled in his face, and did slam into the wall. Kennedy gasped and instantly covered his eyes. Zoey had told him whenever something scary was happening, then to cover his eyes.

“Ronnie and Zoey made out at the party! Now they’re texting and I asked if they were dating, and she said no, then I called her a whore!” Jonah shouted, and Lucas dropped the last biscuit he was about to eat.

“You what?” he said stiffly.

“I called her a whore…” Jonah mumbled, and that’s when Tommy winded him.

“I’m home!” Drew called as he walked in, to see Jonah curled over, Tommy looking furious,
Kennedy almost crying, and Lucas just looking shocked.

“What’s going on?” Drew asked, as he threw the gym back down, he’d just finished work, and he had an evening class tonight.

“Jonah called our sister a whore.” Lucas said stonily. Drew’s eyes almost bulged.

“What the fuck Jonah!” he snapped, and Jonah coughed as he tried to breathe.

“She made out with Ronnie.” Tommy said angrily and Drew stiffened.

“Like….”

Luc nodded in confirmation.

“Where is she?” Drew asked, and Lucas shrugged, as did Tommy and Jonah shook his head.

“Who’s bringing her home then Jonah?” Drew asked, anger seeping through his voice. Before Jonah could reply, Kennedy interrupted.

“Zoey’s here, she’s with someone!” Kennedy announced, as he was peeking through the window again.

Drew opened the door quickly and saw Zoey was saying goodbye to a guy in the car, he gave a quick wave and drove off, and Zoey was smiling as she walked up the steps.

“Hey Drew” she said casually as she walked into the house, noticing everyone was tense.

Zoey’s eyes glanced at Jonah, and she merely blinked before trotting upstairs, and Kennedy loyally followed after her.

“You fucked up.” Drew snapped, and went into the kitchen, as did Lucas and Tommy followed too, leaving Jonah at the bottom of the stairs, feeling like the shittiest person on earth.
--
Zoey’s heart skipped a beat as she looked at the friend requests she had, two from two gorgeous boys. One was being from Ronnie Gink, the other being from Kirby Jones.
She accepted both, happily and was surprised when Ronnie popped up to chat.

“Who are you talking too, peanut?” Marcus’s voice came from the doorway that evening when he got home from work. Spinning around in her chair, Zoey gave a brief smile.

“Just some friends” she said, and Marcus nodded before walking in, and closing the door behind him, which meant serious business.

“So, your brothers told me that you and Jonah were fighting?” Marcus said, he had to admit he was surprising by this. Zoey was never one to fight.
Zoey shrugged.

“Want to talk about it?” Marcus asked kindly and Zoey shrugged again in response.

“Jonah didn’t mean what he said you know…you do know that right?” Marcus said unsure and Zoey sighed.

“It felt like he did” she murmured quietly. Marcus sat down on Zoey’s bed and looked around his daughter’s room.

It had been decorated three years ago, splashed with floral wall paper on one wall, and the other three walls were painted a soft blue colour. She had one wall with a corkboard, and the whole thing was covered with photographs, of family, friends, places they’d been on holiday, everything. He noticed one photo in particular thought.
Carmen.

His late wife that had died six years prior, it was a photo of Carmen laughing and Zoey grinning up at her as Carmen was hugging her from behind. They both looked so alike, and so beautiful.

He walked up to it and touched it slightly, feeling a pang in his heart of yearning for his wife.

He’d never stopped loving her. Ever. He traced her outline and brushed his thumb over her lips.

He fell in love with Carmen the first time he saw her, which was at college, and he was laughing and messing around with his friends in the cafeteria, when Carmen West sauntered into the room and was about to walk over to her friends, when she clumsily tripped over her own feet, and dropped all of her books.
Some people sniggered, but Marcus got up and helped her instantly, and when they touched hands as he helped her to her feet, her cheeks a wild red, his body almost went into shock, as tingles spread through his arm. When he looked into those eyes, those stunning dark chocolate eyes, and he knew there was no going back.

“You look just like her you know…” Marcus mused, as he stepped away from the photograph, and the memory.

“I do?” Zoey said, getting up and walking over to her father.

“Oh yeah, and you act like her too. You’re just as stubborn as she was.” Marcus said, laughing and Zoey gave a tight smile.

“I miss her” she admitted and Marcus nodded, putting an arm around her and pulling her close to him.

“Me too” he said softly and hugged her gently, Zoey clutched to her father and felt tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry” she said and Marcus pulled away shocked.

“Why?” he asked, stunned.

“I fooled around with Ronnie, Dad….I promise nothing really happened, but I don’t know, maybe Jonah’s right.” Zoey mumbled sadly and Marcus hugged her again, tighter.

“Listen to me, all I care about is that you’re sensible and to not let any guy pressure you because he’d have to deal with us…and no your brother was wrong, and he made a mistake. And he’s very sorry” Marcus assured her.

Zoey shrugged “He hasn’t said it” she said and Marcus sighed.

“He will, just give everyone time to calm down and we’ll sort this out soon enough” Marcus said and Zoey sighed in content as she hugged her father.

“I love you Daddy” she whispered and Marcus smiled.

“I love you too baby girl” he whispered back, and kissed her head.
--
The rest of the week passed and Zoey and Jonah still didn’t talk. They went to school and arrived back from school, but never spoke a word.

“Where’s Kirby?” Zoey asked, noticing he hadn’t arrived at lunch today.

“Vera got to him” Zack said sadly, as if he had died.

Zoey couldn’t help feeling disappointed and stayed quiet throughout the lunchtime. When lunch was over, and Zoey retreated to her locker to get her last few books for the day, she was surprised to see Kirby was waiting for her.

“Um, Hi?” she said confused, and Kirby gave a light smile.

“Hey, sorry about not sitting with you at lunch today, Vera is one…persistent girl” Kirby said with a teasing tone. Zoey chuckled, and nodded.

“It’s cool” she assured him. Kirby smiled and tried not to watch her so obviously.

“Anyways, have you made up with your brother yet?” he asked curiously, and Zoey shrugged and was thankful when Kirby didn’t go any further.

“Want to hang out with me, tonight?” Kirby asked casually, and Zoey froze.

“What?” she asked confused.

“Come and chill with me tonight…” Kirby repeated, a bit slower. Zoey’s heart began to pace, and her stomach fluttered.

She was about to agree, when she remembered her brothers. “I can’t…” and she noticed Kirby’s face fell.

“Why not?” he asked curiously.

“My brothers” Zoey complained. Kirby smirked.

“You scared?” he teased, and Zoey frowned.

“No!” she argued stubbornly.

“Then come out with me” Kirby said, and Zoey found herself smiling.

“After school?” she asked, and Kirby nodded. Zoey grinned and felt her stomach flip again.

“I’ll meet you here.” Kirby murmured, and glanced as a girl winked at him.

“Okay, see you then” Zoey said, and Kirby’s lips tugged upwards, as he saw Zoey tuck a curl behind her ear, but it kept popping back in front of her face.

“Um, here..” he said, chuckling and very softly brushed it away, and it obediently stayed there. The chemistry fizzed between them, and Kirby felt odd as his skin touched hers. Her smiled brightened. Their moment was interrupted by the shrill ring of the bell, indicating fifth period had begun.

“See you later Zoey” Kirby said softly, and sauntered past her, his charming air following him.

Zoey stayed where she was, and closed her eyes, trying not to squeal, and bit her lips. It had to be said, she liked Kirby.
Kirby made her heart beat faster and her stomach drop. Oh yes, Zoey definitely liked him.
--

“Elena, you need to do me a hue favour!” Zoey said as the home bell went and Elena and Zoey were leaving their final class.

“Hit me with it” Elena said instantly and Zoey grinned widely.

“I need you to go tell my brother I’m hanging out at yours, and if anyone calls you I’m at your house okay?” Zoey said quickly.
Elena nodded “Okay…but why?” she laughed, as she hitched her bag on her shoulder.

“I’m going to go hang with Kirby” Zoey whispered and Elena’s smile couldn’t have gotten bigger.

“Kirby, Kirby Jones?” she repeated frantically, excitement rising in her voice. Zoey bit her lip, to prevent the automatic smile that came to her face when she heard his name.

“We’re just friends El, so don’t go getting ideas.” Zoey added sternly, and Elena nodded, and smiled which showed Zoey she was being serious.

“Oh my god, this is huge!” Elena sad happily and Zoey shrugged, trying to act casual.

“Okay, I’ve got to go...so tell Jonah! I’ll call you later!” Zoey said, backing away and Elena grinned.

“Go, have fun!” Elena chirped and Zoey squealed silently, pulling a face at Elena, who giggled in response as she watched her skip away.
--

“You ready?” Kirby asked, and Zoey nodded.

“Yup, you?” she asked and Kirby chuckled and nodded too.

“So, where we going…your place, diner…park?” Zoey asked and Kirby shook his head.

“Nope…” he said, as he held the door open for Zoey, who thanked him and watched as Kirby smirked to himself.

“So where we going?” Zoey asked as she got in the car and Kirby did too.

“Do you ever just stop thinking so much?” Kirby asked suddenly and Zoey silenced.

“Good, now sit back, relax and allow me to take us to our destination” Kirby said charmingly, and Zoey pretended to zip her lips closed, and Kirby chuckled as he started the car and exited the school.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll most likely update again later of Kirby and Zoey's date ;)
Thank you to those who commented previously, it's really given me some motivation :)
I promise to quicken things up now, but then again you can't rush a love story :D <3