Our King

Arazelle

I had chosen to leave my sisters after the incident with the queen. Apryl and Annemarie would be better off without me at the moment. Instead of joining my sisters, where ever they were, I went straight to my room, and had no intentions of leaving.

In the center of my room, there was a small table with two equally small wooden chairs. Placed on the table was a beautiful marble chess set my father had had someone make especially for me. He was at one point supposed to teach me how to play, but his less than lovely wife had ensured her never had an opportunity. She couldn't let him enjoy his daughters for even a moment, could she?

Whatever came over me, I'll never know, but for some reason, I felt the need to rearrange the little chess pieces.

I took a seat at the table and began to set them. Though I pushed most to the side, I kept a few pieces in the center. Both the black and white queen, the white king, three white pawns, and the black bishop. Of course, I set the five white pieces together, posed facing me. I imagined my entire family, my father, my mother, my sisters and myself standing in the place of these pons, smiles glowing on our faces. I imagined having Annemarie as my full sister, and having her mother vanish into thin air, almost as if she had never existed. It wasn't the first time I'd thought such things, and it most certainly would never be the last.

Though, I couldn't just cause her to vanish. The black queen still stood proudly, next to her bishop lover, as far from the king as the table would allow. I smirked as I pressed my index finger to the queen and watched her fall to the ground. As she fell, she struck the bishop, and he too landed with a soft thud on the wooden board. If only these chess pieces controled what they represented. The evil queen would fall with her bishop, and her king would stand proud, with his proper wife, his three, beautiful children, and a fading memory of the witch he married.

"Now M'lady, I haven't played the game in years, but I don't believe that the queen takes out her own bishop." A taunting voice said from behind me. I jumped a bit at the sound.

"Eliza, please don't frighten me like that!" I cried. I turned to see my lady-in-waiting, Elizabeth, standing behind me. Dangling from her right air were what must have been almost 30 necklaces and bracelets. My heart sunk into my stomach. Usually, I adored beautiful jewelry like the things Eliza held, but as of late, fine jewelry only meant trouble. "What are all those for?"

"Did no one tell you?" She asked. She didn't seem to be avoiding the question like usual. Just that one time, she seemed honestly confused.

"Tell me what?"

"You've been arranged to meet with a foreign king, he's considering you as a bride for his son." Eliza explained as she began to walk to my closet.

I blinked a few times in shock before following after her. "No, I wasn't aware of this."

Again, she shrugged and pointed to the door. "Ask your sisters."

In the doorway stood Apryl and Annemarie. I stared at them for a minute before Apryl began to speak. "The Evil arranged it."

I shook my head. "Of course. Of course she did. Another attempt to steal my father away from me."

Eliza rolled her eyes. She thinks my theory about my stepmother is foolish, and that I should just "grow up." It's hard to grow up when you don't have a parent to show you how. "Now now, let's behave and dress. I suggest we don't keep his majesty waiting. Don't you agree My Princesses?" she asked, turning to my sisters. I assumed she was glaring at them, because the both nodded in agreement until she turned her attention back to me.

I felt the corset of the dress being forced over my head and laced tightly around my body. I assumed my sisters hated wearing corsets, especially tied by Eliza, but I found it comforting. It was like being wrapped in a tight hug, something I rarely felt. It was a decent substitute, I suppose.

After what felt like an hour, Eliza, with a bit of help from my sisters, finally got me into the gown. "You look beautiful M'lady. Now," she turned to my sisters, "you two go on now, I need to prepare the princess for the king." She then turned to me, "I'm sure you'll be an amazing bride."

I whispered to my sisters before I left. "Get me out of this. Please."

And then I was drug away to be prepared for my doom.