‹ Prequel: Rookie
Status: in progress

Everyday I Think Of You

Freak Accidents

“I’m suggesting we go to marriage counseling,” Patrick said as he entered the bedroom.

“You heard?”

“I had a feeling; you were different these last few months. But I was just too busy with hockey to stop and ask what was wrong. And then you go shopping with Sophie and bring home maternity clothes. I didn’t know that you knew though,” he told his wife.

“Just so you know, I wasn’t planning on going out to cheat on you, I just had a few too many drinks that one night that I decided to go out alone. Until then, I was actually going to suggest that we try adoption or a sperm bank to get me pregnant again.”

“And I believe you, but after four months I wish you would’ve stopped living a lie and told me. I might’ve been able to help, but instead you kept it a secret. And now you have another man’s baby growing inside you because you didn’t take the necessary precautions after having sex with a stranger. I would not have had any problem getting pregnant through insemination, Abby, but this, this is different. I’m going to unload the van, make dinner, and then I’m going to go stay with Jon and Jackie. They already said I could.”

“Pat, no, you can’t go over there. Stay here, please,” she practically begged as she got up and ran into his not open arms. She wrapped her arms around his torso and cried.

“I’m sorry, Abby.” He detangled his wife from his arms and slipped out of the room and downstairs so he could do what he said he would before he left. Abby collapsed on the floor and Jr. came running into the bedroom.

“Aunt Sophie, why is Mommy crying?” I stood from my spot on the bed and went to take Jr.’s hand. I led him downstairs. “Aunt Sophie?” he looked up at me with his big blue eyes that reminded me so much of his father’s.

“Buddy, your mommy and daddy got in a fight. But they are going to get through it, Mommy just needs to let out some tears. You know how when you get angry at your sister or brother and mommy and daddy comfort you?” he nodded. “They wrap you in a hug and say everything will be okay, right?” he nodded again. “Why don’t you go do that for your Mommy, go wrap her in a hug and tell her everything will be okay.”

“Okay,” he looked like he was putting up a brave front and ran back up the stairs. I looked around and saw Patrick and Corey outside talking. I went out there.

“I’m sorry, Sophie. That was the wrong way of doing things, but those things that she said, I just couldn’t take it,” he started to cry too and he wrapped his arms around me as his tears fell on my shirt. Being that he was a good half a foot taller than me, it looked weird, but he needed to cry. I saw that Corey finished up unloading the Sharp van and he patted Pat’s shoulder.

“The van’s unloaded. I think I’ll let you and Sophie head over to Jon’s. I’ll watch after Abby and the kids.”

“Thanks, man,” Pat said as he stepped away from my embrace and wiped the tears off his face. Sharpie went and got into the van.

“I’m sorry, babe, I won’t be long over there. I just have to make sure that Pat’s okay and then check on Jacks. Will you check on Abby? I sent Jr. up there to see if he could cheer her up.”

“I will, hurry back, Mrs. Crawford,” I kissed him and ran to get into the van. I turned and took one last look at my husband before getting in the van. I let Pat drive for the simple fact that he knew where he was going. I had only been to Jon’s house once and that was not long after Ava was born. But my choice of letting him drive was poorly noted when Pat ran a red light and a car t-boned the van. It went rolling and hit another car and that was the last thing I remembered.
♠ ♠ ♠
sad note