‹ Prequel: Rookie
Status: in progress

Everyday I Think Of You

Happy Again

As we waltzed into Abby's room, she and Patrick both looked up. "I see the couple is happy once again?" I chanced the question. What came next surprised me and gave me joy.

Abby looked to Patrick who smiled at her. "We are happy," Patrick answered with that silly grin plastered on his face. I smiled in response and just stared at them in their happiness for a moment before turning back to the door.

"Then I think you should meet your daughter, Abby Sharp. Nurse Grace," I leaned out the door and called for the nurse who was around the corner with the incubator that held the beautiful Sharp baby girl.

"They are bringing her to me? Really? Oh, Sophie, I love you!" Abby squealed and I moved out of the doorway to hug my best friend as Nurse Grace brought the baby in. I just smiled and stepped back to stand by my husband, giving the couple space. I knew they were happy just from the looks on their faces. The baby had Patrick's dark hair and plenty of it. It also looked like she had Abby's nose.

"Good afternoon, Sharp family. Meet the newest addition to your family, a beautiful and healthy baby girl. After running tests, Abby, she's perfect, just a little small. She has everything she should; ten fingers and ten toes, a strong and steady heartbeat, and great lungs. You are very lucky. She just needs a good name," Grace said pushing the little buggy of an incubator towards Abby's closest side. Patrick got up and went to that side to stare at his daughter. I gazed on and tried to imagine what it was like, being happy together and welcoming a child.

"Can you get me some gloves, I want to touch her," Abby requested. Nurse Grace nodded and went to the cabinet in the corner of the room to retrieve a pair of gloves for both Abby and Patrick while they gazed on at their new addition while Abby's fingers explored the glass case that housed her new baby. "She's beautiful, Patrick," she whispered with tears in her eyes.

"She sure is," Pat replied and pressed a sloppy kiss to Abby's forehead. "Great job, baby," he added on as he leaned his head against hers and they continued to stare. Grace handed them each their gloves and they quickly slid them on before sticking their hands into the incubators sterilized gloves.

They carefully brushed the skin of their baby and the newborn opened her eyes. It was only for a second, but I could tell they were the same green as Abby's.

"She has your eyes, babe," Patrick told his wife. She looked to him and smiled.

"So, what are you going to name her?" I quietly interrupted the family moment. They looked awfully distrubed when they looked up to see Corey and I still standing near the door.

"What do you think, Pat? I kind of named the other three kids. I think it's time for you to name one," Abby replied with a grin in the direction of Patrick who still hadn't lost that cheesy grin.

"I like Catherine, with a C." He replied as he lightly stroked the baby's arm.

"As long as her nickname isn't Cathy, we are okay," Abby responded.

"Cate or Catey, then," I suggested.

"I like Catey," Abby responded.

"And the middle name of Rae, r-a-e."

"I really like it. Welcome to our lives, Catherine Rae Sharp," Abby whispered to the little girl.

"Congratulations Sharp family and welcome Catherine Rae. She should be out of the incubator tomorrow and home by Friday if her vitals stay relatively the same." Grace told the happy couple. I mentally counted the days and found that she was only expected to stay three days.

"Come on, Corey, we have a little girl who needs her Mommy and Daddy with her at home."

"Sounds good to me," he grabbed my hand and we waved goodbye to the Sharp's but they barely noticed us leaving. We were halfway down the hall when I got a light pain in my abdomen. I didn't think anything of it and just let Corey lead me to our car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! An update. Sorry it's been sooo long. I will try and update with last chapter and the epilogue before the week of July 9th. That's the goal and I'm hoping to keep it! Have a great summer!