‹ Prequel: Rookie
Status: in progress

Everyday I Think Of You

Bromance

“Abby, have you told Pat yet?” I asked my best friend three days later as we met with the kids for lunch. The boys had decided they were going to start packing the cars for the drives into Canada and they didn’t want the kids around to do so, therefore Abby and I met up.

“I was going to tell him tonight, why do you ask?”

“Well, we are basically driving up to the Canada together, so I want to make sure I didn’t say anything if you hadn’t told him yet.”

“You’ll be the first to know after I tell him.”

“Okay, if you say so.”

“Mommy!” Jr. shouted to get Abby’s attention.

“Yeah, baby?” she looked his direction.

“No more nuggets,” he pouted. I smiled.

“Did you share them?” she asked her eldest.

“Yes,” he smiled.

“Then I’ll get you more, now behave for Auntie Sophie,” she gave me a smile and got up from the table.

“Did you eat enough, Hun?” I asked Ava. She just nodded; for the most part she was only talkative around the team. She was shy otherwise, even around Abby’s kids who she has grown up with.

“Here you go, buddy,” Abby handed her son a new box of chicken nuggets and he smiled widely showing his two front teeth. She then made sure that her other two children were good, and picked Jonny up to bring to sit on her lap so she could give him his bottle since he had just woken up from his nap.

“How do you do it? You already have three kids who are only a year apart and now you are going to have a fourth that way too? You are crazy, Abby. They are all so little.”

“Just wait, once you retire from hockey, Corey will have you making babies every ten months.”

“I could never do it. My body is made for physical contact, not caring for kids off each hip.”

“You’ll be fine; it’s really not that hard. Only when they teeth is it really bad, but you went through that with Ava, so you’ll do great!”

“It’ll be weird, after playing hockey for the past two years, now I’ll have to watch from the WAGs box, eh, that’s never fun.”

“Are you kidding me, Sophie? You’ll be watching from the locker room or maybe the crowd? Corey will not let you up in the WAGs box; Pat doesn’t even let me in there. That’s where only the crazy ones go. Hell, maybe you, me, and Kelly can get our own box for us and the kids? Everyone else doesn’t really matter, they all are crazy.”

“I didn’t think that KK’s girlfriend was that bad?”

“Are you kidding me? She totally flirted with my Patrick at our house; I was standing ten feet away! She’s crazy alright.”

“I totally missed that,” I replied quietly. I surely thought that the Kim character that KK brought around would be a keeper, but apparently not.

“It wasn’t exactly pretty. Well, the guys should be about done, don’t you think?”

“Probably since they had no kids to go around, are you ready to head back then?”

“Mmhmm, I want to tell Pat now, I just feel the need to I guess.”

“Alright, Ava, let’s go. See you later, Abby,” I took my daughter’s hand and we left the McDonald’s, not exactly the healthiest choice, but definitely the kids favorite. I drove us over to the Sharp home since it was on the way towards ours and saw that Corey was still there. I helped Ava get unbuckled and we went inside. “Pat? Corey?”

“Upstairs!” I heard Corey’s voice. I told Ava to go play in the playroom until Abby and the kids got back and went to see what the guys were up to.

“What on earth are you two doing?” I asked the two guys who were laying on the bed in the master bedroom.

“Resting,” they replied at the same time which was quite normal. Abby and I do it and so do the guys.

“Creepers, Patrick, I have to talk to you,” I urged. He grudgingly got up and went into the hallway with me. “She’s planning on telling you today, be prepared. I don’t know how you didn’t tell her about your situation before now.”

“You are the only one, Soph, just, don’t tell her. It’ll break my heart if she has to know the truth. Don’t tell her,” he practically begged. I just nodded and went in the bedroom and recruited my husband so we could go home.

“Soph, what are you doing here?” Abby asked as she and the kids barged into their house.

“I stopped to see when I was getting my husband out of the bromance period. The turn out is that the bromance is over for today, they need some sleep. I’ll see you in the morning, bright and early!” I shouted the last part as my husband got Ava and we all walked out. Since Corey rode over with Sharpie after loading our van, Corey jumped into my car and we drove home silently. I put Ava down for her nap since Corey was going to take one too and then joined my husband in bed.

“What did you and Pat talk about?” Corey whispered as I crawled into bed next to him.

“If I tell you, you have to promise not to bring it up ever again. What I tell you stays in this room, no one else has to know, and the only reason you have to know is because we made the promise to not keep secrets.”

“It can’t be that bad,” he tried to reason.

“Pat was told six months ago that he was infertile after that one stick to his nuts in Vancouver. And Abby’s pregnant. He thinks she cheated on him, but he doesn’t care, he loves Abby and wants to be the father to that child no matter if it’s his or not. Apparently, he never told Abby so that’s why he’s going to pretend it never happened, that he is infertile that is. This is why you can tell no one, because Patrick’s heart will break if he has to have confirmation that Abby cheated on him.”

“I guess it is that bad,” he responded.

“Yep,” I popped the p. “Now, get some rest, we have to be up quite early tomorrow morning, and don’t say a word, not even to Pat.”

“I won’t,” he kissed my cheek and fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another long one!!! And the second of the night!!