Status: Ongoing :)

Enter Infinity

The Secret of the Light Family

“Dakota, I don’t have any idea where to look!” I said while digging through a pile of old papers in my Dad’s office.

“There has to be something here.” He sounded determined.

Today, Dakota wore the same trench coat but underneath was just a plain white t-shirt. I was trying to understand how a ghost could change outfits. Being from the 1600’s, shouldn’t his clothing be from the same time period? I continued to wonder while Dakota searched through my Fathers things.

“You’re staring again,” he said while looking over a sheet of torn paper.

“And your being rude,” I stuck out my tongue as he looked me in the eye.

“Look Rain, this is really important so please keep looking.”

“Okay, but one question first,” I set my hand on his back, “How does a ghost change
clothing?” I giggled. Dakota just looked at me with playful eyes.

“I found this t-shirt in your Dad’s drawer. I just…changed while you were still asleep.”

“Wow, you’re really able to just change your clothes?”

“Yes Rain, I’m real. You felt that last night. You touched my bare skin, under the shirt. Which means the shirt is able to come off.” He winked at me. Fantasies ran through my mind at a mile a minute.

Dakota stood up and strutted over to the closet in my dad’s office. He was feeling around,
trying to find anything that could be hiding something valuable. I could almost feel his frustration as he skimmed through more pages. Then I heard a sudden click and he gasped.

“Rain, come here. I found something.” He motioned me closer.

“What is it?”

“There’s a latch up here. Get me a ladder.”

For a Prince, I couldn’t believe his manners. The kid couldn’t even say please or thank you,
sheesh. But I left to the garage to get the step ladder. Our garage wasn’t like everyone else’s where they could fit a car inside. Nope, ours was full of junk. I managed to climb each box that stood between me and the step ladder. Yes, I was on a mission.

I was finally through the obstacle course when in the distance, Dakota yelped and I heard a large thud.

“I got it! No need for the step ladder!” I could hear him from the other room. You have got to be kidding me. I risked my life swimming through the garage getting eaten by shark (sharks being the boxes) all for nothing! I was beginning to wonder about that kid.

I stepped inside my Dads office and my eye instantly twitched. There were papers everywhere, furniture turned over, and the chandelier was swinging from the ceiling. What happened in here?

“Mind explaining?” I asked in pure frustration, tapping my foot on the floor.

“I couldn’t wait for you to get the damn step ladder,” he said and patted the floor beside him
for me to sit. I sat cross-legged and noticed he had three old journals in his lap. Each of them was a faded brown with torn edges and a silver bookmark inside.

“What are those?”

“We’re about to find out.” He opened the first page of the journal and we began to read.

* * *

Journal Entry one: Oct. 1864

I know the history of the Light family. My grandfather told my father, who told me. Every secret, every spell and every weapon we hold in our grasp. I will not allow them to understand this power that we have, nor will I allow them to hurt my family. They are after me, and they’ll be after you too.

I knew it had begun when I began seeing things others could not see. The shades are what haunt me most frequently. They creep into my dreams and hurt me there, because they are unable to physically hurt me for now. They are only shadows. This is only the beginning. First they hurt you emotionally, then physically, then death.

I am a descendant of the warlock who cast that spell on Dakota Wolfe. He is the reason I regret being born, being brought into this world of pain. My intention is to write an entry during each event that occurs, if I survive that long.

Signed: William R. Light

* * *

The shades must have been the reason for my nightmares. William said that they hurt emotionally then physically. I was afraid for the physical pain. Determined, I flipped through the next few pages and we began to read once again.

* * *

Journal Entry sixteen: May.1872

There have been a series of events occurring over the past few years. Walking through Dakota’s enchanted forest, I ran into his willow tree. When I held my hand steady on its great, ancient bark, I could hear it whispering to me. Its words were gentle and its voice was incredibly soothing.

“Don’t hold anything against Prince Dakota. He was a kind person who cared for others rather than for himself,” the tree had said to me.

“But he is the reason this curse be upon me.” This was all I could say back.

“He must be saved, or else each of these souls will be trapped forever. They will never be able to move on. Dakota doesn’t care about coming back to life, he cares about his people and how they still suffer because of him.”

I turned and looked around and saw hundreds of shadows hovering in the borders of the trees. Who were those people?

The tree fell silent after that, and I immediately began walking away. I sensed that someone was following and turned to watch my back when I saw him. He was huge, and had long dark hair, with a scalpel in his left hand. His face was a blur. He came at me and managed to cut my arm with the small weapon. I was lucky to have made it out alive.

It appears that I’m at stage two now. I am no longer being emotionally abused. I welcome stage two, physical pain.

Signed: William R. Light

* * *

Dakota and I read through each page of William R. Light’s journal. Journal entry one hundred and thirty nine had been his last entry. It was the entry that revealed the true secret of the Light family.

* * *

Journal Entry One hundred thirty nine: July. 1875

There’s know telling when my last day on earth will be. I have been suffering far too long because of a prophecy that should never have been my burden to bear.

I have discovered a spell that allows me to see into the future generations of the Light family.
My only hope was for all of this to end one day, but it appears it never will. My son Rupert will have a son and his son’s name will be Jeremiah C. Light. Jeremiah will have two children. He shall have one female and one male.

The mystery though, is that of the female. Jeremiah will be the first Warlock to mate with a mundane. The female child will be the first female born in the Light family. I feel that she may be the solution to this problem.

Signed: William R, Light

* * *

I closed the book that was spread across my lap. My carefully constructed world collapsed on top of me. It was almost like a smack in the face.

“Dakota, Jeremiah C. Light is my father. How does this make any sense?”

“William wrote that you are the only female born in the Light family and that your father was the first to mate with a human. I know that you are the chosen one, a half breed. Where does your brother fit in? That would make him half blood as well.” Dakota ran his fingers through his hair and looked me in the eye waiting for my response.

“I don’t have a brother,” I said and began to shiver.
♠ ♠ ♠
DON'T BE A SILENT READER.

COMMENT AND GIVE FEEDBACK.