Girl I Know

Feel So Honored

"Poof!" I slapped my hands together, making a puff of the chocolate cake powder hit Diana in the face.
She laughed. "Wanna play, huh? Take this!" She splatted sauce on my face.
I giggled, grabbing the icing. "You've done it now." I scooped some of it and flinged it at her.
'That's it-" The oven beeped. "Hold that thought, need to put the chicken in."

I went to fling another scoop at her, but she quickly ducked as she slid the chicken in the oven. Which meant the icing hitting the beige wall. I grinned while I hid the icing behind me when Diana looked at me, then at the wall and back at me. She laughed as she shook her head.

"Alright, that's enough now. Or we'll never get this food up and ready for the boys."
I put the icing down. "You're right."
"I'm always right, but first-" She quickly grabbed the icing away from me and flinged some at me. "That's for trying to hit me when I had my back turned."
I giggled. "You win. You win." I went back to baking the cake. "Where's Bri? I tried calling her earlier to help out, but got no answer."
Diana shrugged. "No idea. That's fine, she won't get any of this yummy food." Diana grinned.
"Sucks to be her." I laughed.

When Diana took the chicken out, it looked so yummy. I was ready to say; Screw the guys and eat it ourselves. But they deserved it so I sucked it up. I placed the cake in while Diana got onto the vegetables. Diana had something else, I couldn't pronounce it, but it had to sit in the other oven and cook. These guys better freaking love us for making all this yummy food for them.

Diana and I sat out on the deck as we took a swig from our beers, just chatting about whatever came to mind. Brian and Matt were picking up more beer on their way here, so said the text from Brian.

"Have you and Matt decided on a wedding date yet?" I asked, sipping at my beer.
Diana nodded. "It's going to be the day we made it official, July 19."
"That's nice. A summer wedding."
"Yeah, Matt came up with the idea. Plus, we both love summer." Diana smiled, then sighed. "Nikki, we've known each other since high school. Right?"
I nodded. "Yep. What's on your mind?"
"Well I was thinking, I'll understand if you say no, but I was wondering if you would be my maid of honor?"
I smiled widely as I hugged her tightly around the neck. "Yes! Yes! Yes! Of course I will! Why wouldn't I?"
Diana laughed. "I don't know. You know how I get. But this is so awesome, having you as my maid of honor."
"I feel so honored." I grinned. "Has Matt picked his best man, or no?" Diana nibbled on her lip, grinning. "What?"
"He has."
"And? Who is it?"
"Don't hate me, please." I watched her carefully. "It's Syn."
I sighed. "I had a feeling. But okay."
"You're not mad?" She asked, shocked.
I shook my head. "No. We're friends, remember?"
"Yeah."
"Plus it's your special day. We're not going to ruin it by our stupid, pointless fights."
"Thank you." Diana smiled.

We chatted a little while longer about her wedding after I came back from completing the cake and putting it in the fridge. I gave her a few ideas when she told me what she wanted and how she wanted certain things. Our little chatter was stopped when we caught a strange smell.

"What is that?" I asked, sniffing.
"I don't know?" Diana said, sniffing too.

Then the smoke alarm went off inside then Bella barking. Diana and I exchanged a look of worry.

"Shit!" We yelled running inside.