Status: Um... yeah I dunno how often I'm going to update this.

Curious.

Riley

Image

I rode my bike to my new job after school. I have two jobs now - my new one is babysitting, and the other one is at the Marseilles Mall. I work at the Coffee Kiosk on Tuesdays, Thursdays and the Saturday morning shift. The Kiosk is, conveniently right across from the store Kendi works at - Lush. It's a place that makes handmade cosmetics and bath stuff. I used to go in there a lot because all the soaps are so amazing! They have some that dissolve and fizz in water, and a lot of them are scented too, and there's even a soap that's entirely covered in glitter (warning: never touch this soap if your hands are dry - you'll be sparkling like a Cullen for weeks). I don't go there when Kendi's working though - she probably already thinks that I'm stalking her, and I don't want her to freak out and call the feds.

I admit, I'm obsessed with her, but come on. Have you ever had that moment where you look at someone for the first time, and their image is burned into your brain forever? It was that way for me - I didn't even know that I liked girls yet, I just knew that she was beautiful. I started seeing her more around school and at work. She was so cool and such a rebel, even though she didn't really try to be one. She was funny and incredibly open - she wasn't afraid to be herself. I'm exactly the opposite, which is why I knew I would never have a chance with her, but that hasn't stopped me from having feelings for her. I just can't move on.

Maybe babysitting today will help me get my mind off of her.

I arrived at the address and parked my bike behind the bushes near their house, then rang the doorbell. I heard a crash and someone mutter profanity from behind the door.

"Kristian! Can you get the door please?" The voice inside called. I heard quick footsteps before the door swung open. A little boy stared up at me, then tilted his head.
"You're my new babysitter?"
I smiled. "Yes, I am. I'm Riley."
He still looked at me, judging me.
"Is your mom here? She told me to talk to her before I started today."
"Right this way." He turned around and walked away. I stepped in, closing the door behind me, and tried to follow him, but he had already disappeared.

I stood in the foyer by the stairs and waited for someone to appear. Footsteps, quicker than the little boy's, came down the stairs. The person nearly knocked me over.

"Ah, sorry." She said. Then she looked at me and her expression matched mine.

I was in Kendi's house.

"What are you doing here?" she asked me.
"I don't know." I blurted without thinking.
She raised an eyebrow at me before a woman came down the stairs.
"Oh, Kendi, I see you've met the new babysitter."
"Babysitter?" She looked at me. "Yeah, we've met. She goes to my school."

I was glad she didn't introduce me as her stalker, but that didn't make this any less awkward.

"Well, can you show her where everything is? I've got to run back to work - DON'T DO ANYTHING TERRIBLE - TO HER OR YOUR BROTHER." She said sternly, then turned to me. "I expect a full report when I get back." She told me. I just nodded as she grabbed her jacket and suitcase, ran out the door, then stepped back in to grab her car keys and leave again.

I turned back to face Kendi, well I didn't actually look at her face. I was frozen - I was not prepared for this situation.

"My brother's upstairs, probably playing with his video games." She slipped on a pair of shoes and walked to the door.
"W-Wait, you aren't gonna stay?"
"Why would I? You're babysitting him, not me." She said before walking out.

I immediately pulled out my phone and called Drathan. It kept ringing, and I was freaking out.

"Pick up the phone, jackass!" I muttered just as he picked up.
"Rude, much? Who shat in your cereal?"
"Ew, Drathan."
"What? You're the one who called just to curse at me."
"No, I'm sorry. I'm just.. kind of losing my mind right now."
"Why? What's up?"
"You know that new babysitting job I've got? It's at Kendi's house."
"You get to be her babysitter? Sounds sexy."
"What? No! I'm watching her little brother."
"Well, where is she?"
"She left."
"So... what's the problem?"
"Well what if she comes back?! Then what do I do?!"
"...Say hi?"
"You're not helping."
"Well I'm sorry, I don't know how you want me to help you. What's the freaking problem here? You get paid to make friends with her brother, you get to ogle her when she's at home, maybe snoop in her room when she isn't here-"
"I'm not gonna do that."
"But you could find out more about her! See what underwear she wears!"
"I don't need to know that!!"
"But now you're thinking of it aren't you?"

I was about to curse him out when I heard her brother come downstairs.

"Aren't you supposed to be watching me?"
"Um yes, sorry."
"No, it's okay. I don't care, as long as you aren't gonna be a bitch like Kendi."
I put my hands on my hips. "Does your mother know you use that kind of language?"
"No, but she's gonna know that you spent all your time talking on the phone instead of watching me and then you won't get paid."
Smart kid. Maybe I can use his deviousness to my advantage. I bent down to his level. "You seem like you're a brat to your older sister."
"Yeah, so?"
"Why is that?"
"'Cause she's my older sister."
"Is she mean to you?"
"Yeah. She hates me."
"Oh, that's not true."
"Yes it is. She doesn't take care of me when mom asks. She doesn't make food for me and she leaves me alone when mom's gone."
"Why would she do that?"
"'Cause she hates me."
I frowned. "I doubt that's true. Hmm... how about I treat you nicer than your sister treats you?"
His eyes sparkled. "How?"
"You can help me bake a huge batch of cookies, and we don't have to share a single one with her."
"Can we make her favorite and eat it in her face?"
I laughed. "Whatever you like."
He grinned and ran to the kitchen.

Okay, so maybe I wasn't helping their sibling rivalry at all, but I was getting on his good side. If the kid that you're babysitting hates you, they'll do anything to torture you until you quit. I learned that from the Gunderson twins *shudder*.

"Hello? Riley? Quit fondling Kendi's thongs and get back on the phone!"
I glared at the phone, then smirked. I went up to Kristian and asked him to scream into the phone as loud as he could. I covered my ears, and he let it rip. I smiled and patted him on the head while taking my phone back.

"You were saying something, Drathan?"
"You're a bitch."
"Love you, too."
"Ugh, whatever. I was saying that being in Kendi's house can be a huge advantage for you."
"I am not going through her underwear drawer."
"Not that, but I still think you should. You can make friends with her brother and then he'll tell you all kinds of stuff about her."
"Like... using her brother against her? That's so mean."
"I'll do it." Kristian spoke up.
"I can't let you do that - it isn't fair to your sister. Besides you don't even know why I would want to."
"I don't care. As long as I get to annoy Kendi, I'm happy."
"See?!" Drathan shouted through the phone. I covered the receiver with my hand.
"I don't want to torture your sister. I like your sister."
"Why?"
"I um... I don't know, I just do."
"Are you friends with her?"
"Well, no."
"Do you want to be friends with her?"
"Yes.. I guess."
"I can still help you."
"How?"
"I have my ways."
"I'm scared."
"And I'm excited. Just work with him. This could be beneficial." Drathan called over the phone.

I chewed my lip. Something didn't feel right about this. I didn't want to use any form of manipulation or deception in order to get on Kendi's good side. I wanted her to like me for me. But that's probably impossible since she thinks I'm some creepo stalker. Maybe I should work with her brother - maybe he can make me seem more... likable.

I sighed. "Fine. But if I see anything going on that I don't like, I'm pulling the plug on this little scheme."
♠ ♠ ♠
I KNOW I HAVEN'T UPDATED THIS STORY but I honestly thought it was dead. I mean, this chapter has been sitting in my drafts, unfinished for months, and I still don't think it's finished. I honestly don't know where this story is going, but I don't want to abandon it completely. If I have any readers left, maybe somebody could give me some suggestions? Maybe tell me what you want to see happen?

<3