Frederick's Touch

III

The next few days went by in a daze. Edmund and Frederick were preoccupied with their own thoughts, both unsure of what to do next. They ran into one another on several occasions, but murmured only the expected ‘sorry’ or ‘oh hello’ or gave a simple bow before scurrying away. Neither had dared to make eye contact—or even stay in the same room for long—since the incident in Edmund’s bedroom, but every now and then, when Edmund thought his cousin wasn’t looking, he stole glances that sent tingles through his body.

At the ball, Edmund accompanied Martha Baker, as per his mother’s request. She was indeed a charming young woman with features so delicate it were as though the angels themselves had constructed them. She was also kind and graceful, more so than any young woman he had ever encountered. And most importantly, she had shown a keen interest in him. The perfect companion a young man could ask for.

Yes, the perfect companion, Edmund told himself. The perfect companion indeed.

It was now time to dance, and as he swung and moved and stopped and ducked, he felt eyes watching him carefully. Continuing on with his mastered dance, his eyes swept over the room until they landed on the ones that had been following his every move. Across the room stood Frederick, dressed as sharply as any other man he’d seen this evening, but he possessed a radiance that people only dreamed of. He looked handsome as ever, in his royal blues, with his blonde locks slicked back. Edmund couldn’t bring himself to look away—oh, how he longed to touch the skin that glowed softly under the light of the candles hanging above. They still watched each other when the dance came to an end and everyone applauded, until Martha suddenly stood before Edmund, softly smiling. Edmund smiled back, then took her hand in his, and placed a gentle kiss on it before excusing himself. He knew it wasn’t proper to leave her there on her own, without escorting her back to her mother first, but he needed to get out of there as soon as possible.

Once outside, he closed his eyes as a cool gust of the night air brushed past his skin. Already feeling better, he drew in a deep breath and slowly opened them again, marveling at the beautiful scenery that lay ahead of him. Through the trees and past the meadow that sat far ahead of this glorious mansion was the dark sky that was sprinkled with bright stars. A beautiful night. Despite his greatest efforts, his thoughts returned to Frederick. Of course they did. They always returned to Frederick.

Time seemed to have stopped once he caught sight of Frederick in there. His palms had become clammy, his heart beating at a pace that was unnaturally rapid. But he had kept his composure. He had tried to mask his feelings. Edmund had continuously reminded himself over the past few days that no one must ever know of his true feelings. He hoped that if he pushed them away, if he managed to bury them somewhere deep inside him, they would be gone for good. He would be able to lead a normal, healthy life. He would marry Martha Baker and love her like a wife. He would have children and they would all live happily ever after. And it was working well until now. He had tried to ignore Frederick to the best of his abilities. But there he was tonight, as dashing as ever. Why did he have to show up! Edmund was enraged. Mrs. Richards had told him only a couple of nights ago that Frederick had some business to take care of in town. That he will not be attending. But he came, and the feelings Edmund was working so hard to bury deep inside of him had resurfaced just like that. Still lost in thought, he didn’t hear the sound of approaching footsteps behind him. It was when a hand rested on his shoulder did he realize that he was not alone. Turning around, he saw Frederick standing only mere inches away. His breath caught in his throat.

“I need to speak with you,” Frederick whispered leaning in, his breath warm against Edmund’s skin.