Textbook Romance

Shut up.

"You should probably go find your boyfriend," Max said with a roll of his eyes when we walked back into the lot behind the venue.

I gave him an odd look. I didn't expect to hear that come from him, especially since his black eye hadn't even faded yet.

He shrugged off my look and said, "He was looking for you when I was leaving."

I nodded. "Well then I guess I'll see you guys later," I told the three of them as we grew closer to the row of buses. They'd be going to the left while I veered to the right towards A Day to Remember's bus.

"I'll leave the door open," Max joked lightly as he walked away, seeing as I couldn't seem to remember the code that would unlock and open the door, automatically.

"You're funny," I retorted as he offered me a crooked smile. I wandered past the other buses before going over to the one that I had vowed to steer clear of when I got mad at Neil.

I banged on the door and waited for it to open, feeling weird about walking on up when I hadn't spent very much time on this bus at all.

The door opened and Alex stood on the other side as he nodded for me to come in. "He missed you," Alex said as I slid past him, "Been kind of mopey the whole time."

I smiled as my only reply, but it wasn't convincing. I walked through their bus towards the back where I knew Neil would be hanging out. I almost tripped as I walked through the thin living room area of their vehicle, used to the fact that the ETF bus opened up more and the and the floor under the couch slid out, making more room to sit.

Alex tossed himself down onto their skinny love seat and turned his attention back to the computer that was now on his lap.

"Neil?" I called as I tapped on the door that was cracked open. I heard something crash to the ground before the door was pulled open quickly and Neil stood there, offering me a nervous smile.

"Gin," he said as he stepped out and closed the door behind him, leaving the guys in there. "Can we talk?" he asked, motioning to my left.

I nodded and followed him back out the way I came, nodding to Alex as he tossed popcorn at Neil.

Neil lead me down the steps and outside the bus, closing the door behind us. I leaned against the bus and looked up to him as he bit his lip. When he realized that I wasn't going to speak first, he sighed and shifted from one foot to the other. "I'm not going to apologize," he said, running his fingers through his hair.

I shrugged, "I'm not asking you to apologize to Max," I replied, crossing my arms over my chest as he groaned and closed his eyes for a minute.

"Then what are you mad about?" he asked, reaching out to grab my arm lightly, before running his hand down my arm and tangling his fingers between mine, our palms pressing together.

I thought about it for a minute. Trying to figure out exactly what it was that was bothering me about Neil. As I looked over his khaki pants, flat shoes, and blue, long-sleeved shirt, I just felt angry at him, and that bothered me too. I growled and shook my head. "I just am."

Neil laughed lightly and bent his knees so that he could look into my face. "Babe," he said with a little grin, "You're acting like a child."

"Neil, don't pull the little kid card," I warning, "Because it's not my fault you're older than me."

Neil held his free hand over his heart like I hurt him. "Ouch," he whined, shaking his head and trying to catch my gaze when I wouldn't look at him. "Oh come on, baby," he said, putting his free hand on my hip, "I'm sorry I upset you, but Max's an asshole. He deserved it."

That was then I looked up into his eyes. "Don't talk about Max," I warned, watching as his expression changed to one of shock, like I had just smacked him in the face.

Neil's eyes stared down into mine. "Why are you standing up for him?" he questioned.

"He's not as bad as you think," I told him, looking right back up to him.

"What?" Neil asked, looking completely confused as he sputtered a couple times. Then he froze and looked into my eyes. "Is something going on between you two?"

This time it was my turn to be shocked as I shook my head automatically. "What?" I asked, "Of course not. He hasn't tried anything since you hit him in the face."

Neil didn't look convinced as he took a step back from me and lifted his hands to his head. "Honestly, Ginny," Neil murmured, "Just tell me if there's something going on."

"It's not even like that," I said, my head continuing to shake like I was a bobble head.

Neil laughed sarcastically. "Nothing going on, my ass. He's kissed you already Ginny, and the man obviously has a thing for you."

I stopped short when I couldn't deny it. I knew Max had told me he liked me, but I figured it was just in a small way, a joking way, mostly. But the look on Neil's face told me he knew something that I didn't. So I asked, "What happened?" Not knowing if anything really had, just that if it did, I wanted to know about it.

Neil looked to the floor and shook his head. "It's working."

"What is?" I questioned, confused as he talked to himself like I wasn't there.

Neil looked up to me, his eyes meeting mine. "His fucking charm."

"Neil, nothing is going on between Max and I. We're friends, that's all," I told him, trying to convince him although, for a moment, I felt a twinge of doubt in my gut. Max and I definitely hadn't done anything. Well, not if you didn't count a harmless kiss, he and I falling asleep together on the couch, and him climbing into my bed whenever he felt like not being alone.

"Don't pull that on me, Ginny," he murmured, not looking at me as he scuffed his shoes on the cement.

I groaned and started to become angry at him again. "Nothing is going on, Neil!" I shouted, throwing my hands up in the air in defeat as he continued to shake his head in disbelief. Anger bubbled in my stomach as I bit my lip and clenched my jaw, kicking the ground as Neil didn't listen.

"I just don't-" Neil started, stopping when I cut him off.

"Do you want something to be going on with Max and I?" I asked, balling my hands into fists.

"No it's not th-"

"Because I can make something happen," I growled, "He's fucking willing enough, Neil. But I've held back, warned him again and again that I'm dating you. And when I come to find you, to talk to you - all you do is accuse me of sleeping around with Max!"

"Ginny, I-"

"Don't," I warned, looking up to him with a deep rooted glare in my eyes, hoping he would disappear before I could wish he would burst into flames. "I'm going to hang out with Max," I said fiercely, licking my lips as he started to protest.

"Gin, I'm so-"

I shook my head. "No, Neil. I'm done. Maybe I'll see what can happen with Max." Then I turned to the right and stalked off, ignoring Neil as he shouted after me before asking if I was serious. I shook my head as I hurried back to the ETF bus and banged on the door.

"Ginny, what's wrong?" Craig asked as he stood at the top of the stairs, having opened the door for me.

I glared straight ahead as I barged up the stairs, my eyes searching. When I saw him come out of the back room, glancing behind him as he pushed the door closed. I stalked right up to him.

"Nev, what's wro-"

I reached up and grabbed the back of his neck, pulling his mouth down to mine.

"Nev?" he asked as he pulled back, "What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "No, Max," I murmured, "Just shut up and kiss me."

I stood on the tips of my toes as his lips touched mine again roughly.
♠ ♠ ♠
;)
I wish I could stay up and write another chapter, but if I miss the bus again tomorrow my mom is going to kick my ass. Tomorrow after four, I'll update again. (:
Leave me a lot of comments!