Textbook Romance

Honesty.

Max climbed up into his bunk and I followed after him. I pressed my lips back to his as I leaned on his chest. His hand rested on my cheek, holding me to his as he kissed. After a little while he stopped kissing me back and looked at me, causing me to look into his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I pressed my lips against his jaw.

He shook his head at me and slid back so he was half-way sitting up. "You're just doing this to get back at, Neil," he said, unable to be hiding the little smirk from his face.

I started to shake my head but then stopped. "I didn't think you would mind," I murmured, feeling horrible for using him and looking away from his eyes.

"Oh Nev," he chuckled, causing me to look up. He was smiling at me. "I don't mind, but you're probably going to regret it," he said with a shrug as he touched my hair.

I smirked up at him and shrugged. "I'm pissed at him, let me be mad," I said as I scooted closer to him and pressed my lips to the tattoo on the right of his neck.

He tilted his head back slightly as he said, "You're going to be pissed at me if I let you do this," he said, his fingers finding my waist as he traced circles and pictures.

"No I'm not," I said as I continued, smiling when he let a moan slip out of his lips. "I'm going to be pissed at you if you stop me."

Max seemed to listen to me as he moved his lips down to meet mine. My fingers twisted into his hair as he licked my bottom lip. I parted my lips as he pulled my closer to him. We lost ourselves in the moment as Max flipped us over so that he was leaning over me, our hips pressed together and our legs tangled together.

"This doesn't mean anything, does it?" he asked between kisses, not bothering to wait for my reply before his warm mouth was on mine again.

I kissed his jaw and shook my head. "I don't know, yet. That doesn't bother you does it?"

Max pulled away for a second and smiled at me. "I don't know, yet."

Max reached up and traced the lines of my face, gently. He moved to lay beside me and rested his head on my chest as his thumb touched my lips. "You're beautiful, Nev," he murmured, shaking his head, "I don't know why Neil would let you go."

"I don't want to talk about him, right now," I said honestly, trying to band thoughts of the man who I had just broken up with.

Max smiled at me as shrugged. "What do you want to talk about then?" he asked quietly as I played with his head and wiped the smudged eyeliner off of his eyes.

"I don't want to talk," I said, allowing a little smirk to come on my lips as he pushed himself up and pressed his lips to mine once, gently.

"Better?" he questioned as he rested his head on my chest again.

I pouted and shook my head. Watching as he laughed, rolling over on his back.. He stuck his arm under my neck and pulled me over so that my head was on his shoulder. "You're different like this," he said as he looked down at me with big green eyes.

I looked to him, confused. "What do you mean?"

He shrugged under my head. "You're more intimate."

I chuckled and nodded. "Obviously, Max," I grinned, "I was just kissing you. That's kind of an intimate thing."

Max rolled his eyes as me playfully and pressed his lips to the top of my head before closing his eyes and pulling me closer so that I rolled over on my stomach and wrapped my arm around his waist, the other one slipping under his and curling up to play with his hair.

I closed my eyes and listened to him breathe as my thoughts ran away from me and back to Neil, who was probably wondering what had happened. Honestly, I wasn't even sure what had happened. I went to make up with him and found myself standing in front of a firing squad, listening him bark questions and accusations at me. I hadn't done anything with Max to make Neil believe that I cheated on him.

Sure, Max had messed around a little bit, but I never acted on it, never kissed him back, never made it seem like I had something for him, never played him along. Until now.

"What are you thinking about?" he whispered, his eyes still closed.

I shook my head, not wanting him to know that I was thinking about Neil when I had just kissed him.

"I won't be offended," he said, "If you want to go back to him."

My eyes went wide as I shifted to look into his eyes. "What?" I asked, "Max-"

Max shook his head and looked at me, too. "I know you're just doing this because something happened between you two, and I'm not mad," he murmured, his arms tightening around me. "I'll take what I can get."