Textbook Romance

Confrontation.

As Max and I got in the cab, Max told the driver that we'd need to be taken back to the Philadelphia Convention Center downtown.

"That's over a half an hour away," the driver said, unhappy about it.

"Come on, man," Max replied, "I'll pay you. I've got the money."

The driver was displeased, but he started up the car anyways. Max smiled at me as I situated myself on the leather seat.

"What are you looking at?" Max asked as I stared at him.

"You," I said quietly, a small smile on my lips.

Max chuckled. "You stare at me a lot," he retorted.

I nodded. "I know," I admitted, "Because you're just so interesting."

Max grinned and shrugged his shoulders. He and I sat sideways, facing each other. My head was running wild in search of explanations for what was going on in my heart. Max grinned crookedly and reached forward to wrap his thin arms around my shoulders.

He pressed his forehead against mine and closed his mossy eyes. I stared at his face, thankful that the bruise had faded from his eye.

"Stop staring at me," he whispered, peaking his eyes open.

I half-smiled. "What would you rather I do?" I asked in return, quietly.

Max's smile widened as he leaned forward and connected his pierced lips to mine. I shut my eyes and kissed him back, the spark in my chest igniting. Max reached up and cupped my face with his hands, his palms pressed against my reddening cheeks as he held my mouth to his.

I could feel the honestly in this kiss. It was an emotion that left me gasping for air. I pulled back a fraction of an inch to catch my breath. I didn't open my eyes as Max's lips moved to touch mine softly.

His mouth moved in tune with mine as I reached up and wove my fingers into his glossy hair. This was a different side of Max, not the crazy, screaming bassist who stood on stage every night. This was the brutally honest, scared, and hopeful man that crawled into bed with me every night just so I'd be there to keep him from shaking in his sleep.

His nose traced my jaw line as we pulled apart to catch our breath, both of our hearts beating in time with the rhythm of our silent melody.

Max's lips touched my jaw. I took in a ragged breath and peaked my eyes open, loving the look and feel of his smooth skin this close to me.

Max's eyes opened then, and he smiled crookedly as he noticed I was already looking at him. "You're unbelievable," he murmured, a chuckle on his lips.

"How so?" I asked back softly, taking his fingers in mine and looking down at the chipping black paint that coated his nails.

Max just shook his head in reply. "You just are," he whispered, lifting his arm so that it was over my shoulder, my left elbow bent and our hands still connected near my left shoulder.

I rested my head on his shoulder and nestled into his side. He kissed the side of my head and rested his head on mine. We didn't talk on the way back to the bus, or listen to his iPod, I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds outside of our little bubble while Max watched the passing cars and buildings.

"Nev, we're back. Wake up," Max murmured in my ear.

I opened my eyes and realized that I had dozed off. "Are we at the venue?" I asked drowsily.

Max chuckled softly and nodded his head. "Yeah," he said, "You've got work in a half an hour."

I groaned and buried my face in the crook of his neck. "I don't want to work," I grumbled, the sound muffled by his hoodie clad shoulder.

"Well, I'm sorry," Max laughed, "But you want money for food and shit, don't you?" he asked, his forehead resting on the top of my head.

I shook my head against him. "You feed me anyway."

"True..." Max trailed, "But don't you want to be independent and..." he stopped talking when I lifted my head and looked him in the eyes.

"I'm so tired," I whined, then I shook my head, "But you're right."

Max pulled his wallet out of his pocket and tossed some money at the driver. He pushed open his door and slid out, pulling me out after him. I groaned at the humidity and buried my face in Max's chest. He only laughed and wrapped his arms around my back.

"Lets go," I said after a minute, "You should walk me to Tey."

Max laughed. "I should, should I?"

I nodded and grinned up at him. "Please?" I asked, swaying our hands between us.

Max tossed his head back with a groan and then nodded. "Sure," he said unhappily.

I bit my lip and tugged him along with me. He pushed me playfully as we neared the ETF bus and I tried to veer off towards it instead of towards the venue.

"Max," I pouted, shoving him back, "I have to change clothes!"

"You're going to be late," he pointed out, laughing when I scowled at him.

"Can't I just blame you?" I asked with a smile.

Max scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Sure, Nev, blame everything on the boss."

"Well Tey can't fire you," I defended, lifting my hands into the air in a 'what can I say' kind of way.

Max reached for my hand again, but I pulled away from him, laughing as he darted after me.

"No!" I screeched as I moved away from him quickly.

"Nev, come back here. Now you're really going to be late!" he shouted, chasing after me as I raced down the aisle of buses.

"Go away!" I shouted over my shoulder, laughing as my feet pounded against the gravel that covered this side of the blacktop.

"Nev!" Max whined, drawing out my name as he ran after me.

I ran as fast as I could, but Max's legs were longer than me since he was taller. He caught up quickly and wrapped his arms around me from behind, spinning me in circles while I screamed loudly, trying to squirm out of his grasp.

We were both breathing heavily when he set me on my feet. My hair had fallen in my face so he reached up to push the stray strands out of my eyes. I backed up until I was pressed against the metal siding of a bus with Max standing directly in front of me, his green eyes staring down into mine. I reached up and touched his smooth cheek.

Max's hand came up to hold my palm against his cheek. My lips parted just slightly as he leaned down slightly. I looked into his eyes before I stood on the tips of my toes and pressed my lips against his, my hand guiding him to me.

"I guess you're just fine."

I pulled away from Max quickly and looked to my left. My eyes grew a bit wider as Neil stood on the stairs of his bus, looking betrayed as Max stood pressed against me.

"Neil-"

"Don't worry about me, Ginny," he said, shaking his head, "I saw everything."

"I-," I sighed.

Max took a step back from me, taking my hand in his instead.

Neil looked to Max and licked his lips. "I guess it worked," he said with a shrug of his shoulders, "That infamous 'Max Green Charm' has managed to steal my girlfriend."

"Neil, he didn't-"

"Save it, Gin," Neil retorted, his gaze moving back to mine. "I knew I was losing you and I knew that you were moving closer and closer to him. I just didn't think I'd have to see you with him so soon."

"You know what, man," Max said, a scoff in his tone, "Why don't you just mind your own business, all right?"

I squeezed Max's hand tightly and looked up to him. He rolled his eyes and stepped back, his way of telling me he'd stay out of it.

"Neil," I murmured, "I just don't know what's going on with you, or with me for that matter. I'm just," I sighed, "I just need time to figure out what's going on with everything."

Neil literally looked sick. "You don't have time, Ginny. The tours split the day after tomorrow. I've lost, I get it."

"But that's not-"

"I have to go," Neil cut me off, "I have sound check." With that he stepped off of his bus and onto the gravel under our feet. Max squeezed my hand tightly as Neil walked off, not even bothering to spare a glance at the girl he claimed to love just a few weeks before.

"Nev," Max murmured, "You're late."

I nodded my head, my eyes still searching for Neil's figure. "Okay," I said, "Lets go."
♠ ♠ ♠
I love, love, love this chapter.