Textbook Romance

Change My Mind

"What took so long?" Robert asked as Max and I reappeared.

Max looked to me and shrugged, signaling that it was okay for me to tell them what we were talking about. "Max is going to quit using drugs," I told them with a smile as I squeezed his hand.

I saw Craig's jaw drop as well as the other one's did. "What brought this on?" Craig questioned as he stood up and pulled Max into a guy hug.

Max glanced at me. "I don't want to die by overdose. I want to be able to live without having to stop to take a hit or snort a line. I want a carefree life."

I grinned at him, happy that he had reasons to do it for himself instead of just having me pushing him for it.

"Was it your idea or Ginevra's idea?" Craig questioned with a smile as I glared and reached out to smack his arm.

Max looked to me with confusion in his eyes. "Ginevra?"

I rolled my eyes and then looked up to him. "That's my real name but I absolutely hate it so don't call me it."

Max smiled slightly. "Since we're friends now, I think you need a personal nickname."

I laughed and shook my head, "No can do, Maxy-boy."

"See!" he cried, "If you can call me that then I'm going to call you Nev."

"Nev?" I asked, "N-E-V?"

Max smiled crookedly and nodded. "Yup. Nev."

I thought about it for a second and then nodded. "I like it."

"Good," Max stated, "Because that's your new name."

I smiled, "Cool," I said as I nodded, tugging on his hand slightly.

Max glanced down, causing Craig to do the same. "Now what the hell is all this?" he shouted, reached to pull our hands apart, "One second you're claiming rape and the next second you're all buddy buddy!"

I shrugged, "He's an ass but he's needs some support."

Max's jaw dropped and I could see the smart reply on the tip of his tongue. So I continued, "He knows that if he says anything that I'll beat his ass and never talk to him again."

Max shut his mouth really quickly and I smiled smugly, liking the power I had. "Yeah," Max changed his tone as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders from behind, his chest against my back, "Nev is going to put up with all my shit while I'm detoxing," he said smugly.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him off of me. "To an extent," I told Craig, "He's also trying to prove that he can be 'just friends' with a girl."

At that, the entire bus erupted in laughed causing Max to scoff and yelled for them to "fuck off."

I laughed too, having the same reaction earlier in the night. He turned to me and gave me a look of disbelief.

"What?" I laughed, "It's kind of hard to believe."

Max glared and shoved me away. I grinned and pushed past him and over to the couch so that I could sit next to Robert and Monte, squished between them. I took a sip of my beer and Craig and Max talked and Craig warned Max about how difficult detoxing was going to be. Max just nodded to him and agreed, already knowing what it was like the first time.

The guys played video games for awhile, talking about how it would be when we got to the first venue. "You just go back to the roadie van and there's some boxes back there, ask for Tey, he'll point you in the right direction," Craig told me.

I nodded, "Tey, got it."

"Yup, just have someone help you carry the boxes inside the building, there should be tables somewhere that need to be set up."

I grinned and said with a laugh, "Yay, manual labor!"

Craig shrugged as he and the rest of the guys smiled, "That's what you get paid for."

"Why yes, yes it is," I grinned, loving the money aspect of it already.

The guys were pretty quiet for a little while as I bounced ideas around in my head. "What do you guys think about going out when we hit town?"

The guys gave me an odd look. "Are you a party girl?" Max questioned as he licked over his pierced lips.

I shrugged, "When the opportunity appears I'm not one to turn it down."

Max grinned as the guys all had individual smiles on their faces. "So," I continued, "Can we go out to a club or something?"

Craig laughed, "You're not even old enough to get into a club, Gin."

I smiled slightly and spoke. "Never stopped me before."

"Alright then," Max concluded, "Club it is."

"Hell yes," Robert grinned as he and Monte bumped fists.

I smiled and leaned back against the couch, already planning the outfit that I would wear to whatever club we could find in the next town we stopped at. I was excited to be going to a club but even more thrilled that I would be walking in with one of my favorite bands.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be apart of all of this, something that I had wanted since I was really young. But here I was, hanging out on a tour bus with guys who seemed to have it all, including a drug problem, but that could be fixed with a little effort.

I caught Max's eye and he smiled at me with a small 'thank you' nod. I smiled back and let my eyes leave his, knowing that even though he said he could just be my friend, he probably couldn't.

I also knew that Neil wouldn't like this at all. He wouldn't like the fact that I was trying to get along with Max or be his friend, let alone be with him everyday to help him out. Neil wasn't usually the type to feel jealous but just protective. I knew he would tell me that Max would betray our friendship, break his promises, and me but I could take care of myself and Max. I could help him and even though he might try to be more than friends, I could hold myself back and away from the long-haired bassist.

Max wouldn't be able to get to me and I doubt he would even try but I knew that Neil would tell me things to try and get me to change my mind, to let Max be, and to move back into his bus and bunk. Max needs me though, he needs me to give him an extra push since none of the guys were doing it, since they had all given up on him.

"Max," I called as I looked up from my spot on the couch, "Why don't we get started?" I asked, watching as he grimaced.

He stood up though and nodded. "Okay," he said as he brushed his hair out of his face, "Where do we start?"

I reached over and took his hand in mine, pulling him towards the bus so that we could get rid of what ever drug supply he had on him. "Time to flush your drugs," I told him, "You don't need them anymore."

Max swallowed and looked to me. I could see the fear in his eyes and how he was bracing himself for what was to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys. :P I had this written most of this awhile ago and had it saved under another name so I forgot to post it when I was at McDonalds... with my friends distracting me and everything. haha.

Image
This was my friends and I at McDonalds. :P I'm the one with glasses. :)