How Things Can Change

Returning to High School

Jane Sullivan was carefully organizing the things she needed for her first day of classes as a Junior. She was also waiting for her best friend Louise to arrive at her house so they would walk to school together.
They'd been best friends since Middle School and inseparable ever since.
Suddenly, she hears the front door's bell ring and runs down the stairs.

"Hey, Liz!", Jane said as she hugged Louise.
"Hi, Jenny!", Louise said as she hugged Jane back. "Are you ready?"
"Yeah, I think I am.", Jane said nodding. "I'm just gonna grab my things and we're ready to go!", she added with a smile.
"Okay, I'm ready!", Jane said as she got downstairs again.
"Then let's go! I don't wanna be late in the first day.", Louise said.
"Chill out! We have plenty of time!", Jane said.

They got out of Jane's house and walked towards the High School. In the middle of the way, Brian Haner, Jane's other best friend, spotted them and walked in their direction. He was a year older, but they knew each other since kindergarten.

"Hey, Jenny!", Brian said smiling. "And Liz!", he added looking at her.
"Hey, Brian!", Jane and Louise said in chorus.
"Can I go with you to school?", Brian asked.
"Of course you can, silly!", Jane answered.
"So, Jenny... Will you hate me this year?", Brian asked looking at her.
"Huh?", she asked confused.
"I believe he's trying to ask you if you'll hate him this year, since he's a Senior now...", Louise clarified.
"Oh! Of course I'll not hate you! You're one of my best friends!", Jane said frowning.

Louise dated a Senior guy in the previous year who cheated on her, leaving her desolated. He was one of the most popular boys in their school, but when he met her he fell in love with her for a couple of months, but after some time he was with another girl without telling Louise.
Jane knew how much Louise trusted and loved him, and since the day she found out what he'd did to her, she started hating every single Senior, especially the ones who were most well-known amongst everyone, because she believed they'd all be the same. She couldn't bear them or speak to them.

"I was kidding, you fool!", Brian said hugging Jane and kissing her cheek.
"Ew!", Jane said rubbing her cheek with her hand. "You slobbered my cheek!"
Louise burst out laughing and Brian did the same.
"Don't laugh, this is disgusting!", Jane added frowning.
"Come on, you have to admit it was funny!", Louise said still laughing.
Jane hit her arm playfully and laughed a bit.
"See? You found it funny too!", Brian said smirking.

They arrived at their school some minutes before the bell ring.
"I guess I'm gonna go now.", Brian said as they arrived. "See you girls later.", he said as he kissed them two goodbye.
Louise stared at Jane after Brian was out of sight.
"What?", Jane asked suspiciously.
"Nothing, nothing...", Louise answered faking a clueless look.
"Liz!", Jane said looking at her. "I know you!"
"It's nothing...", Louise said, losing her look after looking at Jane. "It's just that... I think you and Brian make a cute couple..."
"Don't tell me you still think that!", Jane said desperately.
"What do you want!? It's what I think!", Louise added.

Lately, Louise was starting to think that Brian liked Jane, but Jane didn't want her to thought that because she always thought about him as a brother.

Jane sighed and looked at Louise. "I'm gonna find my locker and put my things there. Do you wanna come?"
As soon as she finished asking the question the bell rang.
"I guess we'll search for them later!", Louise added.
They walked to the class room. Their class was almost the same as in the previous year.

When the bell rang again, Jane got out of the class, greeted her friends and talked a bit with them.
"So, you wanna come with me in the search for my locker?", Jane asked Louise smiling.
"I'm gonna go to the bathroom now. I'll see you next class.", Louise said.
"Okay.", Jane said. "See you later."

Jane walked through the school corridors. 'Fuck! Why do they keep changing everything from year to year?', she thought. She was looking at her right and left, distracted, in search for her locker when she accidentally hit a person, falling to the ground.

"Oh, I'm sorry!", the boy said. He had a soothing voice.
"It's okay, don't worry.", Jane said returning to her balance and picking the notebooks she dropped.
"Let me help you.", the boy said bending his knees so he could reach what was on the ground.
"Oh, you don't need t...", Jane said looking at the guy.

It was Matt Sanders. One of the most popular guys in her high school - and a Senior, which meant that he was one of the people Jane didn't like.
Almost every girl had already have a crush on him before, but not Jane. 'What does he have that makes him special besides being known all over the school?', Jane thought. 'Plus, he's always getting into trouble.'.

"I don't need your help.", Jane said coldly, picking her things.
"But I want to help.", he said smiling and picking the rest of the things.
He reached his hand to help Jane getting up.
"As I said before, I don't need your help.", Jane said refusing his help. "Thank you", she added as she took her notebooks of his hand.
"Damn! You're mean!", he said smiling. "I'm Matt.", he added.
Jane looked up and saw him smiling as his dimples showed up.
"Okay.", Jane said. "Now if you don't mind, I have to go.", she added as she turned back and kept walking.
"Wait!". Matt ran a bit and held Jane's arm so she couldn't keep walking.
"What are you doing?", Jane asked with an angry look on her face.
"I just... I just wanted to know your name.", Matt said.
"Does it matter?", Jane asked.
"Well, yes.", Matt said as a smile appeared on his face again.
"Why?", Jane asked.
"Because...", Matt said with a thoughtful look on his face. "... I want to know the name of the beautiful girl I helped in the corridor."
"Please, spare me!", Jane added coldly. "I'm not one of those girls who are desperate to have a new boyfriend every week!"
"Who told you I want those girls?", Matt said looking sad.
"I have my own eyes. I can see by myself what kind of person you are!", Jane added.
"I promise you I'm not like that. I'm not like that at all.", Matt said with a serious look on his face. Jane didn't doubt about him after this, but she didn't want to show that. "Just tell me your name and I'll prove it!", he added smiling.
"I don't want you to prove me anything.", Jane said. "And if you don't mind, please let go of my arm!"
"I just wanted to know your name.", Matt said as he dropped his hand of Jane's arm.
"It's none of your business.", Jane said.

Suddenly, Jane saw Brian in the corridor. 'Thank god! Someone I know!', she thought.
"Come on, it's just your name. I'm not gonna harm you or anything!", Matt said looking serious.
Brian approached them and looked at Jane.
"Hey, Jenny! Wanna go get something to eat?", Brian asked Jane.
As soon as Matt heard the name Jenny a big smile appeared on his face showing his dimples. Jane put her hand over her face.
"Yeah, Brian. I do. Let's go!", Jane said quickly as she started to walk towards the bar.

"Bye Jenny!", Matt said smiling as he looked at her and waved goodbye.
'Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!', Jane thought and then came back to her reality. 'He won't even remember me tomorrow, so it's not worth worrying about this!'.
Jane entered the bar, bought a pack of M&M's and sat besides Brian.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, guys!
New story! :)
What do you think about it, so far?
Should I continue writing it? Do you like the main idea?

Please leave a comment and/or a suggestion! It's highly appreciated! :)