How Things Can Change

The Walking Nightmare

Jane woke up with a call from Louise.
"What's up?", Jane asked rubbing her eyes.
"Jenny? Why don't you open the door?", Louise said.
"What?", she asked. Jane opened her eyes and glanced at her watch. She should already be awake for one hour. "Oh god! I can't believe I fell asleep!"
"What?", Louise asked.
"Wait a second, I'll open the door. You won't be staying there outside!", Jane said as she ran downstairs.

"Sorry, Liz! I promise I'll dress up really fast!", Jane said as she opened the door.
"Don't worry, Jenny! We still have plenty of time, right?", Louise said laughing.
Jane dressed herself up as fast as she could and decided to have breakfast when she arrived school.
"Come on, let's go!", Jane said standing at her front door.

When they arrived school, Louise met her friends and Jane headed to the bar.
She asked for a coffee and a toast and sat on a table.
Suddenly, she hears someone approaching and stopping right behind her.
"Good morning, Jenny!", a soothing voice said.
'Oh, no...', Jane thought.
She turned back and saw Matt and his dimples smiling at her and rolled her eyes.
"Hey! This was meant to be a surprise!", Matt said as his face gained a sad look.
"Wow, thanks.", Jane said without any enthusiasm. As soon as she turned back again, Matt sat in front of her. "You've gotta be kidding me!", Jane mumbled.
"So, I have no right for a good morning?", Matt said looking at Jane.
Jane stared at him frowning.
"Come on, talk to me!", he said pouting.
"What if I don't feel like talking to you?", Jane asked.
"What have I done to you to make you hate me so much?", Matt asked.
"You're all the same. You're looking for someone new all the time!", Jane said not looking at him.
"Well, you can't tell I'm like that...", Matt replied. "And as I promised you, I'm gonna prove you I'm not like that at all."
"You didn't promise me anything.", Jane said looking at him for the first time.
"Come on! Oh, I know!", he said smiling. "Yes or no questions. I won't lie."
Jane didn't know whether she was in the mood to play that game or not, but she decided to give it a shot.
"Hum, okay... You've had more than 10 girlfriends during last year.", Jane said.
"Nope.", Matt said.
"You're lying.", Jane said.
"I'm not.", he replied. "You'll probably make fun of me because of this but..."
As soon as he said that Jane's eyes turned to him.
"... But I've only had one girlfriend in my whole life..."
Jane burst out laughing in the middle of the almost empty bar.
"I told you. You'd make fun of me...", Matt said looking sad.
"I'm not making fun of you!", Jane said trying not to laugh. "That's just too difficult to believe in."
"I don't know why.", Matt said. "Look, just because I'm a Senior it doesn't mean I have to be like every other guy in here."
Jane stopped for a moment and thought for a while. 'Maybe I'm being unfair... Maybe not everyone's like Eric...'.
"Hey, Jenny are you there?", Matt asked waving his arm in front of her face. She was lost in her thoughts.
"Yes, I'm here.", she answered.
"Look, I was wondering if you would like to go...", Matt said before Jane cut him.
"No.", Jane said.
"But I didn't even finish the sentence...", he said laying is head in his arms that were resting on the table.
"I don't care.", Jane said and then looked at him. "Anyways the answer is no."
Matt smiled.
Jane looked at her watch and saw that her class had started 10 minutes ago.
"Fuck!", Jane said.
"What happened?", Matt asked.
"My class started 10 minutes ago!", Jane said. "I only hope Mr. Wright arrives late..."
"You were having so much fun with me you forgot about time!", Matt said smirking. He reminded her of Brian.
Jane rolled her eyes and didn't say a thing, she just ran and tried to get to the class on time.

"I'm sorry, I'm late, Mr. Wright!", Jane said after she entered the classroom.
"You're 10 minutes late Miss Sullivan!", Mr. Wright said looking at his watch.
"I know. I'm so sorry... I don't know how I fell asleep...", she added.
"Go to your seat and please pay attention to the rest of the class!", he demanded.
Jane headed to her seat and sat down.
"Where were you, Jenny?", Louise whispered.
Jane told her, once again, everything that happened before the class.
"Oh my god, you're actually talking to him!", Louise said.
"I am not!", Jane said. "He keeps bugging me all the time!"

Suddenly, Mr. Wright turns back and throws his book to his desk.
"Miss Brooks, will you please leave the room and stop interfering with your colleagues work?", he said.
"But I...", Louise was saying before Jane cut her.
"It was my fault, I'm sorry Mr. Wright.", Jane said looking embarrassed.
"Then will you please leave the room and come back tomorrow when you're ready to learn something?", he added.
'Great! First I fall asleep, then I have Matt bugging me, after that I arrive 10 minutes late to my class and finally I'm expelled from the classroom! Could my day get any worse?', Jane thought.

Jane walked through the corridors with nothing to do. She opened her locker and stored her stuff - after all, she wouldn't be using them anymore today.
"And here we meet again!", Matt said.
Jane turned back after closing her locker's door.
"Argh! You can only be a walking nightmare!", Jane yelled grabbing her hair.
Matt burst out laughing.
"Do you think this is funny?", she asked with a angry look on her face. "Since you appeared in front of me for the first time you only got me into trouble!"
"Yeah... Lots of people tell me that...", Matt said.
Jane looked at him. Finally they both agreed on something.
"What are you doing here?", Jane asked him.
"Let's say that... last year I did something to my teacher's car that I shouldn't have done... and since then she tries to find every single way of getting me out of her class.", Matt explained.
"What did you exactly do to her car?", Jane asked suspiciously.
"I just broke a window. But it was an accident!!!", Matt said with an innocent look on his face.
Jane started laughing and Matt smiled. "What about you?"
"I was 'disturbing' the class, according to my teacher.", Jane said looking at the ground.
Matt laughed slightly and looked at Jane.
"See, now we talked to each other like normal people do!", he said smiling.
"Okay, but now I have to find something to do until lunch time. So, bye.", Jane said as she started to walk towards the door that lead to outside.

Matt ran and grabbed her arm.
"You have a problem with grabbing people's arms, don't you?", Jane said annoyed.
"No, I just don't want you to run away from me...", Matt said. "Listen, what if we went to that new restaurant next to the mall? We'd get there by lunch time and we could get to know each other along the way."
Jane hesitated. "Please?", Matt said showing his dimples.
"Okay, okay. But I bet I'm gonna regret this!", Jane added.
"You won't. You'll be with me!", he said as he blinked his eye.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoying the story so far?
You can help me write it if you want, just leave some suggestions in the comments and if they're good I'll include them! ^^