How Things Can Change

Maybe He's Not That Bad

The bell rang and Jane got up. She waited for Louise and they both walked out of the room.
"So... What did you do all those hours?", Louise asked referring to the time Jane spent after being expelled.
"Oh, man. Many things...", Jane answered.
"Tell me everything!", Louise said enthusiastically.
Jane was about to tell her everything when she saw Brian.
"I'll tell you everything later, now I have to go.", Jane said. "Text me, okay?"
"What the... Okay. Bye!", Louise said.

Jane ran towards Brian and clung on his neck, kissing his cheek.
"Hi, Brian.", Jane said.
"Hey, Jenny.", Brian said smiling.
"I called you during lunch, but you didn't say a thing.", Jane said.
"I didn't hear.", Brian lied. Jane knew he was lying, she could tell when he was lying. "What did you do this morning?", he asked smiling.
Jane told him everything, since she got expelled to the lunch.
"You spent the whole morning with him?", Brian asked with a serious face.
"Yes... He's so annoying!", Jane said.
Brian noticed the way how Jane talked about Matt, and he didn't like it a single bit.
"Oh.", Brian said nodding. Jane thought he was slightly upset.
"Are you okay, Brian?", Jane asked concerned. "You're acting strange since yesterday..."
"Yes, everything's fine.", Brian answered. "Don't worry."
Jane sighed. She knew he wasn't okay.
"Come here.", Brian said pushing Jane into a hug. "There's nothing wrong with me, for real."
"I hope so.", Jane said.

"Do you have any more classes?", Brian asked.
"No.", Jane answered.
"What if we went to the beach?", Brian suggested. "The weather's still warm and we don't have any more classes today."
"That sounds really great!", Jane said smiling.

They got into Brian's car and he drove to the beach.
Brian got out of the car, put his sunglasses and opened the car's door so Jane could get out.
"Thank you!"; Jane said smiling.
Brian smiled back and put his arm around her shoulders. They headed to the beach and he bought some drinks.
"Do you feel like telling me what's going on now?", Jane asked as they sit on the sand.
"There's nothing going on...", Brian assured looking down.
Jane sighed and looked to the sea.
"It's just that...", Brian said breaking the silence. "Nothing, never mind..."
"Of course I mind, Brian!", Jane said looking at him.
He took a deep breath.
"We've known each other forever... And lately I...", Brian said.
Jane kept looking at him.
"Lately I've been thinking.", he added.
"Thinking about what?", Jane asked.
"About our friendship.", Brian answered.

Jane looked at his friend. He had scruffy hair because he had been wearing a bonnet the whole day. He was wearing black jeans, a white t-shirt and a leather jacket.
"The way I think about you changed...", he continued later. Jane wasn't paying much attention, she was looking at the sea, trying to figure out who was that person leaving with a surf board.
"There's something I wanna tell you, Jenny... And I've been sticking it to myself for too long...", Brian said looking at her.
"Is that Matt?", Jane asked mumbling not paying attention to what Brian was saying. She looked at him. "What were you saying?"
"Fuck!", Brian muttered not letting Jane hear. He was upset because she was thinking about Matt when he was trying to tell her something important. "Hum... Nothing.", he said rubbing his face and then looking down.
"Oh.", she said.
Suddenly Jane hears someone approaching.
"I'm gonna go right now.", Brian said before looking at her. When he did he gained an upset look on his face.

"Hey Jenny!", a voice said.
Jane turned back and saw Matt and his dimples. He was holding a surf board. 'So it was him.', Jane thought.
"I'm gonna go. I guess you'll stay here, right?", Brian said dryly.
Jane turned back.
"No, I'll go with you!", Jane said.
"Nah. Stay here. See you tomorrow.", Brian added walking away.
She turned back and Matt and his dimples were still there.
"So... We meet again.", he said smirking.
"Well, I was here first...", Jane said.
"How do you know?", Matt asked. "I've been here surfing since my classes ended."
"Brian is a Senior as well, we came here when his classes finished too.", Jane replied.
"Is he... Your boyfriend?", Matt asked sheepishly.
"Hum... No. He's my best friend.", Jane answered frowning.
"He's your best friend but he doesn't talk to you when you call him and he leaves without saying goodbye?", Matt asked.
"Who are you to judge my friend?", Jane asked angrily.
"Sorry! I didn't mean to say that...", Matt regretted.
"He's acting strange lately...", Jane clarified. "I just don't know what's going on yet."
"I hope you figure it out soon.", Matt said smiling.
'He's a nice guy. I have to admit it... He's not what I thought he would be...', Jane thought. 'But I don't know him well. He can be a total jackass! Besides, I don't like Seniors'.
"Yeah... Me too...", Jane added smiling a bit.
"I was thinking...", Matt said as he took his surfing suit. "What if I take you out for dinner, so you can forget all your problems for a bit?"
He was now just with his trunks and Jane could see he had a tattoo on his arm.
"I told you I didn't want to spend any more time with you...", Jane sighed.
"I just want to see you a little happier.", Matt said as he held Jane's hands.
Jane tried to push them away but Matt held them tightly.
"It's very nice of you... But I'm really not in the mood.", she said and then released her hands from Matt's.
"Oh...", he said looking sad. "Then can you give me your number?", he asked looking at her. "Just so you don't run away from me anymore. I want to see you smiling, not sad."
'I don't want to give it to him.', Jane thought. 'But if I don't he'll keep bugging me for ever! Argh! Life's difficult!'
"Hum... Okay...", Jane said.
Matt smiled and handed her his mobile phone.
"I'll try not to annoy you!", Matt said smirking.
"You annoy me every time I meet you!", Jane said laughing.
"Ah! That's how I like to see you, smiling!", Matt added smiling. "I'll drive you home."

Matt walked to his car with Jane and opened her the door.
He got in and drove to her house following her instructions.
"Here we are. Thanks for the drive!", Jane said smiling.
"You're welcome. And be careful!", Matt said.
Jane looked at him suspiciously.
"I didn't forget you live alone! I don't want anything bad to happen!", he clarified.
Jane laughed and took out her seat belt. Matt grabbed her hand.
"Wait! You won't leave without a goodbye!", Matt said smirking.
He approached and kissed her cheek again. Jane smiled slightly.
"Goodbye.", she said as she left the car.
She got home and closed the front door looking to Matt.

When Jane was ready to go to bed she received a text message from Louise.
'Hey, Jenny! Will you tell me what happened? Answer me soon. xx Liz'
Jane told her what happened, including the afternoon.

'You're a fool, Jenny! Brian was trying to tell you something important and you payed attention to Matt!? What happened to you?'
'I don't know, Liz. I somehow got distracted. I still didn't understand that so far... I'm worried about him... :('
'You'll talk to him tomorrow, don't worry. If you need anything tell me! :)'
'Thanks, Liz! You're a great friend :) Now I have to sleep. See you in the morning!'
'Sleep tight! :)'

Jane put her mobile phone on her bedside table and settled down her pillow. She was about to sleep when her phone rang. She looked at the screen and she saw a text message from a number she didn't know.
'Will it be Liz again?', Jane thought.
'I guess you're already sleeping by now, but I just wanted to know if you're feeling better :) I really liked this day. You're nice, even if you don't feel the same way about me! :P Good night, sleep tight! Matt'
Jane smiled as she read the message. She decided to only reply to it in the morning and she fell asleep.