How Things Can Change

My Life is a Mess Right Now

"Hey, Jenny!", Brian said as Jane came out of her house.
"Hi, Brian.", Jane replied looking at him. He was looking extremely good that night.
He was wearing jeans, a white v-neck and his leather jacket. His hair was spiked as it used to be and he smelled really good - not that he didn't in the other days.
"Is there something wrong?", Brian asked.
"Not at all!", Jane answered smiling. "You're... You're looking really good!"
"Thank you.", Brian said smiling. "You're looking beautiful, as usual."
"You silly boy!", Jane said laughing.
They both got into Brian's car.

When they arrived at Brian's house, he opened the door and Jane saw how his living room was tidy and beautiful. The dining table was decorated with some candles and flowers and the room had an extremely cozy air.
"Wow... Brian, this is amazing!", Jane said impressed.
Brian put his hands around her waist and kissed her forehead lightly.
"You deserve it.", he said smiling.
Jane hugged him. "Thank you!", she added.
They both sat on the table and had dinner while they talked about everything. Everything but what Brian was trying to say on the beach.

When they finished having dinner, Jane looked at Brian.
"I'm sorry to bother you with this again...", Jane said. "But this is driving me crazy... Please tell me why you acted like you did in the last few days."
Brian stood up, held Jane's hand and walked with her to the couch. They both sat down and Brian started talking.
"What I was trying to tell you that day...", he said. "Well, it was that I don't think about you as a friend anymore..."
Jane looked at him worried.
"As I was saying on the other day, I've been sticking something to myself for too long... And it involves you...", Brian said looking at Jane in the eyes.
Jane stared at him, confused and worried.
Brian stroked Jane's cheek, approached and kissed her softly.
"I love you, Jenny.", Brian whispered.

'Oh, no... Liz was right after all...', Jane thought.
She opened her eyes and saw Brian smiling at her, which made her return the smile. She felt butterflies on her stomach and she was feeling happy. But she didn't know whether she liked him the same way he did or not.
"I love you as a friend...", Jane said. "I don't know if I feel the same way about you..."
"We can try and see how things work out.", Brian said smiling.
"Okay!", Jane said.
They watched a movie and then Brian invited Jane to spend the night at his house because it was already late for her to go to her house. He lent her one of his shirts so she could use it as a pajama.

Before Jane fell asleep she hugged Brian, but she remembered Matt and how he nearly kissed her in the morning. 'Why did I feel something different when he was about to kiss me, than when Brian did?', Jane thought. She was confused.
She woke up with a good morning kiss from Brian.
"Wake up, sleepy-head!", he said smiling.
"Good morning!", Jane added returning the kiss.
She suddenly got up and raised her hands to her head.
"Liz must be waiting for me at my front door!", Jane said worried.
"Relax! I... I told her to go alone today.", Brian said smirking.
"Oh! She knew about this and didn't tell me a single thing?", she asked faking a shocked look.
Brian laughed.
"I hate you!", Jane said crossing her arms against her chest, trying not to smile.
"Aw! You're so adorable when you try to stay mad at me!", Brian said smirking.
They both laughed and then got ready to go out to school.

When Jane arrived at her high school, she said goodbye to Brian and walked towards her classroom. On the way she saw Louise talking to Matt, but she pretended she didn't see them. Louise wasn't only talking to him, she was almost drooling over him, and that made Jane feel a little jealous, she only didn't understand why.
Matt saw Jane and ran towards her, leaving Louise alone with an angry look all over her face.
"Good morning, Jenny!", Matt said with a huge smile on his face.
"Good morning, Matt.", Jane said.
"So... How are you?", Matt asked.
"I'm good, thanks.", Jane answered. "And you?"
"I'm better now that I'm with you.", Matt said showing his dimples.
Jane couldn't not smile at that comment. She realized she thought about Matt in a different way than when she met him, but she remembered she started something with Brian and she didn't want to hurt him.
"I made you smile again! I'm becoming an expert in this!", he added smirking.
"I've gotta go... You were talking with Liz, weren't you?", Jane asked.
"Hum... She came to me and started talking... I'm sorry to say this... But she's boring as hell...", Matt said sheepishly.
Jane laughed even though she shouldn't.
"She's nice, don't worry.", Jane said smiling.
"Not as nice as you...", Matt said.
Jane blushed.

"So, I wanna know more about you.", Matt said. "I told you I've only had one girlfriend in my whole life, now it's your turn to tell me how many boyfriend's you had."
Jane didn't want to tell Matt about Brian, after all they weren't in any relationship.
"I wonder why you're asking this.", Jane said smirking. "I've only had one as well."
"Why did you guys break up?", Matt asked.
"We were young, and after some time I realized I didn't like him anymore.", Jane answered. "Your turn now."
"It was the same thing that happened to you...", Matt answered.
Jane stared at him. 'Okay, I have to admit it... I like him. He's nice, caring and well, he's pretty damn good-looking!', she thought. Suddenly, she felt guilty for agreeing trying to see how things would work out between her and Brian.

"What do you have?", Matt asked looking at her.
"Nothing...", Jane lied.
"I may not know you for a long time, but I do know you're lying.", Matt said smirking.
'Argh! I hate him!', Jane thought.
She realized it would be better if she told him everything.
"Oh...", Matt said.
"That's all you have to say?", Jane asked.
"What do you want me to say?", Matt asked looking down.
"Argh! I don't know! My life's a mess right now!", Jane said rubbing her face. "I have this thing with Brian, Liz is acting strange without a reason and I seem to only attract problems lately!"
Matt pushed her into a hug and tears started to appear in Jane's eyes. She retained them as much as she could, she didn't want Matt to see her cry.
"I'm here for you, don't worry.", Matt said as he hugged Jane tighter. "Whatever you need, just tell me, okay?"
He then lifted her head and cleared her eyes with his thumbs.
"Thank you.", Jane said smiling.
Matt smiled and walked with Jane to her classroom. When they arrived Jane saw Louise - she had a look in her face that seemed like she could kill someone in that moment.

"Hey, Liz!", Jane said as she sat in the table beside hers. "What's going on?"
"Nothing. How was your night?", Louise asked not showing much interest.
Jane explained everything to her including the talk she had with Matt minutes before. When she started talking about Matt, Louise suddenly became interested in what she was saying.
"Nothing happened between us besides that kiss, so I think he'll understand.", Jane said.
"Oh, I think that you and Brian should stay together.", Louise said. "You make a cute couple."
"Damn it, Liz! Did you listen yo what I say?", Jane asked annoyed. "I don't like him that way!"
"I was just saying...", Louise said. "You lose."
"Argh! Why are you acting like this!? You were never like this before!", Jane said.
"What? I'm acting like I always do!", Jane replied.
"No, you're not! Ever since yesterday morning you're acting different!", Jane said. "Why?"
"Because... Because...", Louise said. "Because you have both Matt and Brian after you!"
"What?", Jane asked confused.
"Yeah! I'm sick of your problems. It's always Brian did this, or Matt did that... I'm tired of you always getting someone and I have to listen to all of your problems!", Louise said.
"What? I listen to EVERYTHING you have to tell me, each of your problems, each of your ideas and I NEVER complain! And you tell me that? You don't have anyone after you because you won't stop thinking about that motherfucker that left you because of another girl. Well, that's not my problem! I have nothing to do with that!", Jane said irritated. "I thought you were my best friend. Not someone who would get sick of hearing my problems. I'm really disappointed with you, Liz."
Jane left the classroom before the teacher came in and didn't come back.