I'm in Love With a Fool

Part Twenty Five

Cady's POV

The girls toilets. A sanctuary for every single female student at Huntington High. The only place - apart from the phys ed changing rooms - boys couldn't enter.

"So, what happened?" Leana asked as Val passed me a tissue to wipe my eyes. I was sat on a toilet - the lip obviously down - with Kirsti by my left shoulder rubbing my back, Lacey by my right shoulder keeping my hair off my face, Val by the tissue dispenser providing me with endless supplies of tissue and Leana knelt in front of me - her hands resting on both my knees.

It took me 10 minutes to explain. Starting from how Matt and Jimmy were describing the ins and outs of a baseball game and finally finishing on the part that caused my tears and fleeing. The look of anger on Zach's face when Matt pushed Danielle.

A knock on the main door of the toilets disrupted any remarks the girls were about to say.

Leana sighed "I'll only be a second," she informed me, patting my left knee slightly as she got to her feet.

"Where's Cady?"

My heart leaped into my mouth as the voice filled my ears.

Zach.

"I suggest you fuck off Zachary James Baker," Leana answered bluntly.

"I need to see her."

"Well she doesn't need to see you."

I got to my feet.

"But I have to explain."

"She doesn't wanna hear it."

I walked out of the cubicle and into the main room if the bathroom.

Zach's features softened when he saw my tear stained face "C-cady?"

"I'll talk to him Lea," I muttered, needing to know what was going to happen next.

"If you're sure babes. Me and the girls will only be on the other side of this door," she explained pointing to the bathroom entrance as Val, Lacey and Kirsti also emerged from the cubicle. "I'm watching you Baker," she then added through gritted teeth, before leaving the room with the others.

A few seconds passed like hours. Zach tried to think of ways to explain himself as I nervously bit my bottom lip and tugged on the sleeves of my hoodie.

"Cady," he whispered, taking a step towards me.

Shaking my head I took a step back "Why?"

That seemed to confuse him as he attempted to get closer to me "Why what?"

"Why let me think you liked me? Why ask me to be your girlfriend? Just why Zach. Why let me feel comfortable around you if you were just faking it - going to break my heart anyway."

"Because I do like you Cady," he whispered, now close enough to touch my elbow with his finger tips.

I shook away "Then why did Danielle just tell me you two still have a thing?"

"She's delusional. A bullshitter."

I shook my head "I don't believe you."

He took both my hands in his, lifting his left to push my chin up so he could lock our eyes. "I swear on my guitars."

My heart hammered in my chest as I finally nodded. Burying my face in his chest.

"I wouldn't do anything to hurt you Cady," he whispered stroking my hair as I listened to the calming sound of his heartbeat "I couldn't."