I'm in Love With a Fool

Part Three

I sat beneath my usual oak tree, my knees tucked up against my chest as The Misfits blared from my earphones.

“Hey!” I heard a distant shout.
Then, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Debbie and Monique take a seat next to me.
I pulled my music sources out of my ears, so they could have my full attention, and placed my switched off mp3 back in my pocket.

“Hel-lo,” I grinned.

“How was science?” Monique questioned, science and art were the only classes the 3 of us didn’t have together.

I shrugged “Usual.”
As Debs and Monique started to eat, my attention was caught by a different group of people.
Zach, Valary and the others had just found refuge under our neighbouring tree.
I don’t think I’d ever seen them act normally before that moment.
In class and when they were doing what they do best (playing music or baseball) they acted way serious.
When they were surrounded by their usual morning chaos they’d do everything in their power to look cool and impressive.
But when they were on their own…they acted, well, normal.

Brian was on his feet, facing his group of friends, as he told them a story of some kind. His fedora hat was tipped slightly over his eyes as his hands moved non stop to help him explain what he was telling.

Valary was sat in Matt’s knee, an amused look on both their faces as their fingers lay entwined on Valary’s lap.

Johnny and Jimmy – the shortest and tallest of the group – were sat pretending to be listening intently. Reaching out to play hit each other every now and then.

But Zach, he was the one acting most different. He was kneeling with his legs tucked beneath him as he took in every word Brian said. A relaxed smile stretched across his slightly chubby face as he added the odd comment.

“Hey Zacky, dude, if you wanna tell the story then go ahead!” I heard Brian exclaim after Zach’s 5th comment.

“No, no! You go ahead!” Zach replied holding his hands up innocently.

I giggled slightly.

“What was that Cady?” Debs asked.

“Huh? Oh nothing,” I answered blushing slightly. “Nothing at all.”