The Beauty of Grace

Cuts

Avelyn set her bags down at her feet as she fiddle with the keys to the cabin. Last time she had been here was a few weeks before she graduated high school, her grandparents were the ones who owned it. The door squeaked as she pushed it open and glanced around, the place needed some cleaning. Taking a deep breath in she picked up her bags and walked inside before setting her bags down so she could go back out to her truck to get Trigger who had been sleeping in the passenger side seat.

"Come on bud." she said picking him and started to carry him until he caught site of something and started freaking out. He scratched her arms up and chest before Avelyn dropped him and he took off running. A big Doberman went running after the cat. "Oh no! Stop you stupid dog!" Avelyn yelled running after the dog.

Avelyn caught up with them, the dog was standing up with it's front paws on the tree Trigger had ran up and was hissing and growling down at it's enemy. She grabbed a stick lying on the ground and walked towards the whining dog. "Get out of here mutt!" she added as she gripped the stick ready to strike if needed. A loud whistle brought the dog's ears to stand up and turn it's head towards the direction the whistle had came from as well as making Avelyn turn her head in that direction. A guy stood about fifty feet away and he was walking towards them, the dog ran towards the guy.

"I'm sorry, Harley isn't use to seeing, or smelling cats, to her it was just another coon." his deep voice said as he approached her. He was every girls dream guy...well at least the outside was. Avelyn looked down at her arms to see blood, she hated blood, Trigger had really cut her good. "We should get you cleaned up before those cuts get infected. I'll attempt to get your cat while you head back to your cabin." he added. Normally she didn't take trust in too many people, but something about him made her feel safe.

"Ow!" Avelyn groaned as the stranger dabbed at her cuts with a cotton ball.

"I'm sorry, but I don't want these getting infected." he said calmly. "I'm Cameron. Cameron Turner."

"Av-Avelyn McAlister." she said before gritting her teeth and grabbing onto knee and squeezing trying to block out the burning pain. Trigger sat on the counter starring at them as well as keeping an eye on the dog who laid on the small carpet in front of the fireplace.

"So what brings you here?" Cameron asked; making her look up at him. Their eyes locked for a second before she quickly looked away.

"My grandparents own this cabin, I just wanted to get away from the city for a-ouch! Awhile." she said. "Do you live around here...or you just visiting too?"

"I own the cabin down the road. I live there, I'm not much of a city guy...or a cat person." he said before glancing at the fat cat who had scratched him as well as he tried getting it out of the tree.

"I wasn't either, but he had been a kitten when I found him in the alley way soaking wet and crying out. I couldn't let the poor little guy die." she said glancing at Trigger.

"Harley found me, when I was buying suppiles in Huntersville she running up to me nearly knocked me on me ass when she smelled my food. Nobody claimed her when I asked around for a few days. I brought her home and ever since then she's now my watch dog."

"How old is she?"

"About five years. There, all fixed...well bandaged up." Cameron said making Avelyn glance down at his nursing skills before looking back up at his face. He was bus putting things back into the first-aid kit her grandma had kept around. He had a scar running along his neck, he had a rugid look to him. The scar on his neck looked like someone had tried cutting him.

"Wh-what happened to your neck?" Avelyn asked without thinking. His eyes darkened.

"It's nothing." he growled standing up.

"I'm sorry, it's none of my business." she said quickly after and standing up as well. "Thank you for bandaging me up."

"It was no problem, if you need anything just let me know. Harley come on." Cameron said starting to walk towards the door. Something shifted and Avelyn grabbed his arm.

"Wait!" she said quickly before hugging him without thinking. Cameron's entire body tensed up, before he relaxed a little and hugged her back. Avelyn pulled back a little her cheeks burning red. "I didn't mean...I'm sorry...um have a good evening." she said before stepping back more; Cameron studied her before nodding and walked out of the cabin.