Caleb

One.

First days at a new school are always nerve racking, but it’s even worse if you’re a wolf dressed in sheep’s clothing. In other words, I was a girl dressed and pretending to be a boy.
My name is Catie, but my boy name is Caleb, and I have just begun to live my life as a transgender. I had always felt like I was different from all the other girls, even the tomboys. I was the outcasts among outcasts and people made fun of me for it. My parents did all they could before their divorce to try to make school pleasant for me, but it never worked.
I got the idea when I was talking to my best friend, Rachelle, who lived in Michigan. I told her about everything and she suggested it to me, but the only problem was that everyone would know it was me so I kept the idea in the closet.
A few months later, my dad announced that we were moving to Las Vegas, Nevada, so he could be manager of a grocery store there. That was when I told my dad of the change I was planning and, after some heavy arguing, he agreed to let me. We bought a bunch of guys clothes; I cut my hair and dyed it black; I bought various things to make my chest look flat; I finally felt like I was doing the right thing.
When we finally moved, I was already dressed as “Caleb” and my dad had noted that I looked a lot more comfortable and he was right. I was more comfortable. I felt more like myself than I had ever felt previously.
The ride was long, but bearable. It was just me and my dad since my sisters were off in college, so nothing exactly mattered back in my hometown. I was ready for my new life as a new person. I was ready to start over. I was confident. Until I got to the school parking lot.

“I feel nauseous” I told my dad as I swung my bag over my scrawny arm and climbed out of his car. I was getting a sick feeling in my stomach as the sound of the bell echoed loudly in my ears. I suddenly wasn’t ready to take this step and I was scared to death.

“You’ll be alright, Kiddo” he ruffled my hair just like any man would do to his son and it made me smile, “Go get em, tiger” He pulled out of the driveway, leaving me standing in front of the intimidating high school building.

“Now or never” I mumbled to myself and took the steps up to the front door. My eyes searched the building for the glass doors that would be the door to the office, where I was told I would get my schedule. I chewed on my lip when I realized I’d have to walk through a huge crowd of teenagers to get there. I hoped they wouldn’t notice the emo looking new boy walking to the office.

“You can do this” I mumbled and began the journey. I pushed my hair out of my eye, trying not to make eye contact with anyone. There was a group of cheerleaders heading my way and I tried to avoid them, but I somehow managed to catch their attention.

“Hi cutie” One with brown hair and a very heavy country accent said and blew me a kiss. I quickened my pace and almost ran into the glass door. I blushed as I heard someone near me laugh. I turned to see a boy with choppy brown hair and eyeliner standing at the nearest locker with his arms crossed. He had a smirk on his face and was staring right at me. I blushed more and opened the door, trying not to trip as I walked in.

“Caleb?” The woman at the desk asked. I was a bit stunned at first that she knew my name and then I cleared my throat so I could talk lower than normal and not sound like a girl.

“Yea, that’s me” I felt like batman, except my voice wasn’t as rough or ridiculous as his. The woman handed me my schedule and was giving me this odd look of pity.

“Thanks” I replied and then quickly walked out. I looked for the boy who had laughed at me, but he was nowhere to be seen. I felt awkward when I realized I had to use the bathroom. My father had asked me if I had needed to go before we left and I had stupidly said no. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, contemplating what to do.

“Fuck it” I said to myself and walked towards the men’s room, praying quietly that they had stalls with the urinals. When I walked in I saw a boy about my age at the urinal. He had his junk out like he just didn’t give a damn and my eyes lingered before I realized what I was doing. I looked up at his face. His hair was obviously dyed black and hung in his face with sideburns that stood out. His lips were full and slightly parted as he released his bladder and it was oddly seductive.

“Ah that feels good” He practically moaned and put away his member before zipping up his pants before my eyes could look down again for one last peek. I turned away, about to leave out of my own uncomfortable state.

“Hey!” He said and I turned back around awkwardly. My face felt like it was on fucking fire.

“Did I make you feel uncomfortable?” He asked. His tone made him sound innocent, but there was clear amusement on his face. He knew he was packing and he had no shame. My face turned brighter red as he moved for the sink and washed his hands, his hair falling into his face as he rubbed his hands together.

“Uh…uh no” I stuttered out as he turned the sink off. He pressed the button for the hand dryer to turn on.

“You can go” He jerked his head towards the urinal, “I promise I won’t look. I can’t because I’m a Mormon” His smirk was playful, but there was a hint of something else in his expression, as if he wanted to see my non-existent junk. I bit my lip as he shook his hands out a bit.

“I’ll just take the stall” I said and walked into one of the stalls quickly. I breathed in deeply and waited for his foot steps to know he was gone. I quickly pulled my pants down, sat on the toilet and went pee like any other normal girl would. When I was done I washed my hands, letting out a relieved sigh when I saw that I hadn’t been tricked and that the boy had actually left. When I walked out of the bathroom, a hand landed on my shoulder and I screamed higher than was considered manly. I heard a chuckle behind me and I felt the breath on my neck.

“Paranoid much?” It was the boy from the bathroom. Had he actually waited outside for me? I turned and he had that same smirk on his face.

“No. You just…caught me by surprise” I said. He held his smile and extended his hand excitedly.

“I’m Brendon” I took his hand reluctantly, “Oh and I jack off with that hand” I released his hand quickly and he laughed harder than he had before and it made my stomach get all butterfly-like.

“I’m Caleb” I said, rubbing my hand on my jeans. He grinned like a little child.

“You’re new?” He questioned as I started to walk down the hall, checking the numbers for my first class.

“Yes” I replied, “Do you know where room-” I looked down at my schedule to make sure I had the right number, “Two Twenty is?” The bell rang, announcing that we needed to get to class.

“You’re in luck, pretty boy” Brendon said circling me a bit, “I just so happen to have that class. Come on or we’ll be late and Mr. Way hates when people are late” He began to walk in the opposite direction I was originally walking and so I followed him quickly.

“What grade are you in?” He asked, casually as he walked quickly.

“11th” I said, almost out of breath, unable to keep up with the taller and lankier boy. He noticed.

“Are you really that out of shape?” He questioned. I opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off.

“Oh and me too. You know about the grade thing” He sighed and we stopped at the door.

“Ladies first” He said and I stopped dead in my tracks.

“I’m no lady” I replied. Brendon simply shrugged and walked in just as the late bell rang. I followed after and was greeted by a very angry looking man with long black hair.

“You’re late” He said. Brendon smiled smugly as he took his seat and high-fived a boy that I recognized was the boy who had laughed at me earlier.

“I’m sorry just I-”

“You’re new. I know, but I don’t take excuses.” Mr. Way snatched my schedule out of his hand, “Mr. Godfrey I hope you enjoy detention on your first day here” Brendon sniggered and Mr. Way turned to him, “And Mr. Urie will be joining you” His smile instantly dropped and the other boy chuckled quietly to himself as Mr. Way turned to me, handing my schedule back.

“Take a seat” I quietly made my way to the only seat left, next to the cheerleader who had hollered at me earlier. She winked as I passed and I shivered. This year was going to be an awful one, I could tell already.