Status: I wrote this when I was in seventh grade. Look away.

Far From Home

A Backstage Pass.

“I must say, you guys really do have an amazing fan base, from the people I’ve seen,” I shrugged, watching the men get ready for the show. After adjusting their equipment, I witnessed them slip on masks, each one different and full of color, unlike other masked bands I had seen.

I stared in curiosity at each mask, wondering the stories behind them. Jorel wandered over, the eyes of his white mask glowing red in burn-mark like circles. “You gonna be okay back here?” He asked. I nodded and he walked off, taking his bass guitar from a backstage help dressed in black.

Danny now made his way toward me, adjusting his shiny, gold plated mask with a black cross over one eye. “Well, this is it, a behind the scenes look at a Hollywood Undead show. You pumped?” “I suppose. Is Gangsta Sexy on the playlist?” He let out a gorgeous laugh. “Yes, yes, don’t worry. You know, we have more than one song like that.” “I know, but I haven’t HEARD those songs yet,” I said with a pouty look on my face.

Suddenly, the lights from the stage grew dim, and music began to play. Danny turned to look at the opening to the stage, turned back to me to fist bump, and ran to join the other guys lining up to the opening. “Good luck guys!” I said, making my way to the couch next to the stage opening. “Please, we don’t need luck,” George joked.

“WHAT’S GOING ON, ST.LOUIS?!” Jordon shouted, walking onstage. The rest of the guys followed, and soon they were all onstage shouting “Undead!” I sat and watched them, running around stage like they owned the place, Danny beginning to belt out the chorus. Next, Johnny began rapping, his deep voice complementing the heavy lyrics perfectly.

I observed them all carefully, taking in their every detail.

Stop it Jesslynn, I told myself. I can’t fall in love with these men, they belonged to a band, they probably got women every night, plus most of them are probably taken, and regardless of their relationship status, they’re still years too old for me, and I won’t even be with them for much longer.

My heart ached just thinking about it leaving them, and I had to face the facts, I was falling in love with all of them, some of them in a crush kind of way, but a few of them had become like a brother. Thinking about brotherly like people caused me to think about Shaggy.

“I’ll find you again someday, you just have to give me a sign, and wait for me wherever you go,” he had said as I slid my arms through my backpack straps and taken off into the woods. I remembered lying in the basement, my head in his lap, as he fed me chicken nuggets, and the look on his face when he climbed into the van to retrieve me and I was afraid.

I thought back as hard as I could to remember his face. His hazel eyes, his thick dirty blonde hair, his tall, thin, and muscular body, the sweet smell of his cologne. Something deep inside my brain whispered that there was something unusual about him, something extraordinary, but I couldn’t make the connection to what it could be that gave me this feeling.

I stood, walking over to the stage opening, watching them perform some other song that had a nice beat to it. “Been to Hell!” They all shouted in unison. Maybe that was the title. I had no clue, but I did know that it was a good song to jam out to. I started nodding my head to the music, unable to stop the beat from flowing through me. That’s when I looked out into the crowd and found a video camera, pointed at the stage in my direction.

I ducked behind the wall, praying that they hadn’t seen me. No one could know where I was, no one could be able to find me. I wasn’t going home early, and I certainly wouldn’t get caught once again by my kidnappers.