Status: I wrote this when I was in seventh grade. Look away.

Far From Home

Not Fast Enough

Either I was getting seriously out of shape, or four pairs of clothes, some makeup, and a box of Twinkies somehow weighed a ton when put in a backpack.

Today's weather was a bit cooler than normal for November afternoon in Oregon, which made me to zip up my jacket even further. Luckily, the weather also kept most people inside their houses, nestled up by their fireplaces sipping hot coco. This was good on my part, because if anyone saw me the way I looked right now, Animal Control would recieve a call for a wild sasquatch walking down the road.

I removed my phone from my back pocket and checked the time. Five o' clock in the evening. While sleep and I were in a very serious relationship, that was probably a new record for me. Maybe my parents were right, maybe I was getting a tad bit lazy. I continued forward to my best friend's house while trying to convince myself that sleeping until 5 in the afternoon was a normal thing.

Bailey lived five blocks away, which was pretty far, but then again anything that involved moving was "pretty far" in my opinion. She and I had attended the same elementary school and, conveniantly enough, lived in the same neighborhood. We clicked instantly, being "Best friends" within a week of knowing each other. Moving into middle school, we were finally considered old enough to walk alone to one another's houses.

We would have gone to the same high school, but Damon's incident during my eighth grade year made me decide to take a home-schooling course. I finally realized that being alone to do my work gave me better grades than being surrounded by idiots.

I became so wrapped up in my thoughts, I didn’t notice the van following me from a distance.

There was one part of walking to Bailey’s that always scared me out of my wits. The walk was mostly on a sidewalk with houses on one side of the road, and a wood on the other side, but in one part, both sides of the road were lined with dense amounts of trees, enough to create a heavy shadow even during the sun’s highest peak of the day.

I stepped out onto the road because there was no sidewalk in this part of the neighborhood, not bothering to check for traffic because very seldom did people drive down this road considering how far back into the neighborhood it was. I had to force myself to continue forward, however, since the setting sun made the path look twice as creepy as usual.

"Run, baby, run, don't ever look back," I sang quietly to myself as to try and calm myself down. The irony of my song choice was that I knew now there was someone watching me from afar. I didn't have to turn around to know that. It was just one of those instinct feelings that I prayed was just my immagination.

I turned to look over my shoulder. Nope. There most definately was a white van going at an eerily slow rate coming up behind me. 'Dear God, I know I barely talk to you and all, but umm could you do me a huge favor and keep me from being kidnapped.'

I broke into a sprint, hoping I could get to Bailey’s before whoever was after me could catch me. And if whoever was in the van really wasn't after me, I'd just look like a giant idiot. Oh well.

The end of the tree-covered section was growing closer. If I could just make it out into broad daylight, they couldn't capture me, right? 'Almost. There. Keep. Going,' I urged myself.

A figure stepped out from behind the trees, a tall and well-built man in dark clothing and a bandana of some sort hiding his identity. I could hear the van screeched to a halt behind me as the man advanced, a damp rag in his hand.

“No, no, NO!” I screamed, looking for a way out. Just as I was about to make a run for it through the woods, someone grabbed me from behind and held me still. I was hopeless. The dirty blonde man held the rag to my face and I began to feel awfully sleepy.

'No,' I told myself, 'stay awake, you…have…to stay…awake.'

“I’m sorry,” the man whispered as everything faded into darkness.