Sequel: Like Phantoms Forever
Status: Completed

I Lost My Fear of Falling

The Talk

I came home from school, fully intending to just change my socks for dry ones before heading to Mikey’s. It had been almost a month since our declaration of love and I was living on cloud nine.
“Emmy?” Mom called from the living room. I winced and backpedaled into the room.
“Where are you going?”
“To Mikey’s.” Oh god, this won’t end well.
“I don’t want you going over there anymore. I never know if you’re being supervised and I don’t get to see you anymore.” She must have seen the crestfallen look on my face. “He’s still allowed to come here, don’t worry. Why don’t you invite him for dinner?”
I nodded robotically and walked over to his house.
“Hey.” He started to pull me inside when I shook my head.
“Mom doesn’t want me over here anymore. She wants to keep us supervised.” I made a face. “And she wants me to invite you over for dinner.”
He blinked for a few seconds, grabbed his coat and his backpack before closing the door behind him.
“Let’s go.” He leaned down and kissed my head.
I have the best boyfriend ever.
Mom let us have the couch and moved into the kitchen where she could still keep an eye on us. I actually had a test to study for so I put my feet on Mikey’s lap and leaned against the arm of the couch with my book.
He absentmindedly traced patterns on my legs while he read a book for English.
River came in and saw us sitting there together.
“What nerds. Have I taught you nothing?” He shook his head.
“Mom’s in the kitchen.” I said, not looking up from my Chemistry book.
“Ahh. Now that makes sense.” River was about to walk upstairs when he stopped and looked at Mikey. “I’d just like you to know that if you ever hurt my sister I will murder you.”
“If I ever hurt Emmy, I’d let you do it.” Mikey said, holding my brother’s gaze. River nodded and went upstairs.
“I love you.” I said, smiling down at my book.
“I love you too.” He’d just leaned over to kiss me when my mom stuck her head out of the kitchen and coughed loudly.
“Dinner.” She said in an innocent voice. I bit back a groan and led Mikey into the kitchen.
Insert the most awkward silence at dinner ever.
Because my dad came down.
He was staring Mikey down during the whole meal. The only sounds were chewing and the scraping of forks on plates.
“Thank you for dinner Mrs. Leeves.” Mikey said politely when we’d finished clearing the dinner. “I think my mom wanted me to be home at nine.”
“I’ll walk you over.” I wanted any excuse to get out of the house.
It was snowing again, the flakes falling silently. The whole world seemed muffled.
We’d just gotten half way across to Mikey’s house when he turned towards me and took my face in his hands gently.
The kiss was far from gentle. I didn’t realize we were moving until my back hit the side of the house. My legs were wrapped around his waist tightly.
I was the first one to break the kiss, not because I wanted out.
I trailed my lips down his jaw and onto his neck, inhaling the smell of his skin. I bit down gently and couldn’t hold back the thrill of triumph when he groaned.
“Are you two fucking out here?” Gee opened the door, nearly hitting us.
“Gee, I’m going to change your name to Cock Blocker.” Mikey grumbled, letting go of me.
Of course he let go of me in such a way I pretty much had to slide down him to get my feet back on the ground.
“Love you.” I gave Mikey one last peck on the lips.
“Love you too.” He went inside with Gee and I made my way back home.
--
“Hey, Wes, can I get some advice?” I asked on our way to school the next morning.
“What kind of advice?” She looked at me warily.
“How to broach the subject to Mikey that I…” I couldn’t finish the sentence.
“That you wanna fuck?”
“Thank you for putting it like that Wes.” I mumbled, my face flushing.
“It’s the truth. You wanna bone Mikey.”
“Never mind. I shouldn’t have asked.”
“I’m sorry I teased you. Have you guys talked about this kind of thing before?”
“No. We barely just started, well…getting really hot and heavy.” I filled her in on how the last makeout I’d had with Mikey, I’d lost my shirt and almost my bra.
“I think it’s time for you two to have the talk.” Wes said in her wisest sensei voice.
“That sounds so awkward.”
“Well, you gotta talk before you guys try anything. Is he a virgin?”
“Yep. We both are.” I chewed on my lip. “This is gonna end badly.”
“You don’t know that. Just relax and talk to him the next time you two are alone.”
“We’re going on a date tonight.” It was Friday, which was date night for us. Dinner at our favorite diner and a movie.
Followed by making out in the car before curfew.
“So talk to him then. Who knows, my little Emmy may lose her V-card soon.”
Oh lordy.