Sequel: Like Phantoms Forever
Status: Completed

I Lost My Fear of Falling

The Pill

The next day Wes and I were hanging out in my bedroom. I was trying to not move around too much because some of my…body parts were sore.
I got up and walked over to the door to close it, just in case the conversation turned to our boyfriends.
“Why are you walking funny?” Wes asked from her spot on my bed.
“I am not walking funny!” I shot back.
She snickered. “Sure you're not. You've always been bowlegged.”
“Fuck off. I'm walking the way I always do.”
“I believe you got enough of that last night with Mikey so you don't need me.” She grinned.
I flushed bright red. “I don't mock you for sleeping with Frank.”
She pouted. “I'm just teasing. Besides everyone already thought I was a whore before I hooked up with Frank. At least now they're right.”
“You aren't a whore, don't call yourself that.” I shifted on the bed and winced.
“OH MY GOD! I was just kidding. You really DID have sex with Mikey!”
I blushed again. “Maybe.”
Wes practically tackled me in a hug. “My little girl is growing up!”
“Keep your voice down. Last thing I need is for my parents to hear.”
“Oh.” She lowered her voice. “Sorry. Now you're going to know why I can't keep my hands off Frank. Once you do it once you want to do it LOTS more.”
“If my hoo ha wasnt in so much pain, maybe.” I grumbled.
“That will go away and next time it won't really hurt at all. And by the third time it doesn't hurt at all just feels REALLY good.”
“Thank you for those lovely images Wes.”
She shrugged. “Fine I won't try to tell you what to expect. But I’m glad you waited for the right guy. I kinda wish I would have but I have Frank now, so it worked out in the end.” She smiled to herself.
I smiled and looked out the window towards Mikey’s house. He had to run some errands and wasn’t home. “It was amazing. Until Gee came home.”
“Oh my god...don't tell me he walked in on you guys!”
“Nearly did. He saw the bed and my sex hair though.”
She covered her mouth to hide her laughter. “I'm sorry, really I am.”
“Sure you are. I swear, you get off on my embarrassment.”
“I do not! I've just been there. Frank's mom almost caught us once.”
“Oh god. How close did she get?”
“Let's just say if she would have lifted the blanket she would have realized we were doing a whole lot more then cuddling on the couch watching movies.” Cold realization dawned on me.
“OH MY GOD. Mikey and I slept on that couch!”
“Ummm...did I say the couch? I meant the floor.” She backpedaled.
“Oh god. I need to go sanitize myself.” I felt icky all of a sudden.
“Oh stop being a prude. You'll get there soon enough yourself.”
“At least we used Mikey's bed and not the couch WHICH YOUR BEST FRIENDS SLEPT ON.”
“Just you wait. You and Mikey will break in a couch or two and then you'll owe me an apology.” She nodded in agreement with herself.
“I don't think so.”
“Too bad I know so. Hell I bet I never want to ride in his car again soon either if that's the case.”
“We've never gotten naked in his car. Only half.” I’m not ruling out the possibility though.
“See so it's only a matter of time. And when I find out about it I won't freak out either.”
“Because you are the sex queen.”
“I am not!”
“Suuuure.”
“Weren't you the one saying a little bit ago how I’m NOT a whore?”
“You aren't a whore, because you’re only with one guy. A whore connotates multiple sex partners.”
“Yeah yeah, I just have a lot of it. But given how hot Frank is you really can't blame me now a days.”
“I'll take your word for it.” I shifted again and winced. “Jesus, how long does it take for it to stop hurting?”
“You should be fine by tonight or very latest tomorrow morning. And just a fair warning. The next time you and Mikey get handsy it's going to be even harder to stop then before more likely than not.” Stopping is hard enough as it is.
“We're screwed then.”
She grinned evilly. “You will be...again..and again...and again.”
“WES!”
She held up her hands in surrender. “Okay okay. But seriously have you thought about going on the pill?”
“Yeah, but there's just one problem with that. My parents. How do I explain wanting to go on it?”
“Well there's this clinic you can go to and get it without your parents consent. It's where I get mine.”
I got up and put shoes on. “Let's go. I’ll drive, cuz I needa get Mikey’s present afterwards.”
“Okay I’ll give you directions. I already got Frank his.”
“Lemme guess. You, wrapped in a ribbon and nothing else?”
She snorted. “We do more then just have sex. He really wanted this guitar but it's really expensive so I’ve been saving like a fiend so I can get it for him.”
“I have no idea what to get Mikey.”
“Isn't he like really into comics or something?”
“Yeah, but I don't just wanna get him comics. I want to give him something special.”
“You wearing nothing but a ribbon?” She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.
I sighed. “No, Wes. Something other than sex. Although he might get that too.”
“What do ya mean, might? He totally is, just like Frank.” She laughed. “Well what else does he like?”
“Me.” I giggled. “I'll think about it. Right now let's go prevent a baby Mikey.”
“Agreed one of him is enough.”
“I don't think my body could handle two of them.” One was putting me out of commission as it was.
“Why do you think I’m on it? Can you see A me being a mom and B a baby Frank?”
“Holy bajeesus, two Franks in this world. Good idea hun.”
“I thought so too.” We headed downstairs and started towards the clinic.
“Where do I turn?” I drummed on the steering wheel in time to the music. “I think after I drop you off I'm gonna go wander around the mall and pray for inspiration.”
“That's cool. Mom wanted to do God knows what anyhow.” She pointed through the windshield. “You'll want to make a right at the next light and then it's down on the right.”
“I feel so responsible, preventing teen pregnancy.”
She laughed. “Cause we are being responsible.”
“Is it wrong that afterwards I was picturing us later in life?”
“No that's the kind of person you are, Mikey too. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing.”
“I don't know Wes. Maybe Mikey is the one I'm supposed to be with.” It just sounded right, saying it out loud.
“Awwww...Emmy you're in love!”
“Well we knew that already.”
“Yeah. Well you and Mikey are good people. If anyone was meant to be it was you two.”
I smiled and parked the car. “Come on, let's be responsible sexually active teenagers.”
She laughed and saluted me. “Yes ma'am.”
“Hi, how can I help you?” The nurse lady at the desk asked.
“I, um, was wondering, if, uh....” I stammered.
“We need birth control please.” Wes came to my rescue.
“For the two of you?” She looked at us oddly.
“Oh well I’m already on it. My friend here needs to start.”
“Oh, all right. Just let me write you out a prescription.” The lady went into the back.
“What the hell is wrong with me? Why can I not talk to people?” I grumbled.
“You're naturally shy, a trait I’ve never possessed.” Wes supplied.
“Lucky for you.” I hated being tongue tied.
She shrugged. “It has it draw backs but you know that.”
“Here you go. Now remember, you have to take it every night at the same time of day for it to work.” The lady said.
“Thank you.” I managed to say before running for it. “That was embarrassing.” I said when we were safely back in the car.
Wes laughed. “It was fine”
“I hate being shy. Do you want me to drop you at your house or Frank's?”
“Mom's been bitching about me not being around enough so drop me off at my house and I’ll see if Frank wants to come over.”
“Been there, done that. I'm not supposed to be going to Mikey's anymore. He has to come over to my house.”
“Yikes. At least I haven't been banned from Frank’s.”
“I'll see if I can get her to let up on me. It’s so awkward when he's over at my house. My mom sits in the kitchen and listens in while we talk.” Plus I can never kiss him.
“Ewww. Well you know you guys can always meet at my house. Your mom loves me.”
“That's not awkward at all.”
“I'm not saying to DO IT at my house just you could meet up there and then go do your thing. I know my mom doesn't mind when I say I’m hanging out with you.
“Hmm. I may have to try that.” I pulled over to the curb at Wes’s house. “Thanks for coming with me.”
She smiled at me. “Anytime. I mean what are best friends for?”
“Helping friends not get pregnant?”
“I was thinking more just being there for each other no matter what's going down.”
“Love you too.” I blew her a kiss.
She caught it and pretended to swoon. “No wonder Mikey fell for ya.” She blew me a kiss before getting out of the car.
I made a beeline straight for the mall, spending just about two hours wandering around sipping a coffee.
I finally found a tiny gift store in a neglected part of the mall. I poked around for a little before stumbling upon a pair of necklaces.
One was a small key and the other was a lock. They were a perfect match.
“Excuse me, how much are these?” I asked the shopkeeper.
“$5.50.” She smiled at me, revealing a large gap between her two blindingly white front teeth. I dug in my wallet for the money and left with a present for Mikey.