Sequel: Like Phantoms Forever
Status: Completed

I Lost My Fear of Falling

Don't Lie to Me

“You fell off?!” Wes laughed so hard she almost fell off my bed.
“It’s not funny!” I yelled. “He was gonna kiss me.”
“What happened afterwards?”
“He helped me up and then his mom called him so I left.” I put my head in my hands. “If I wasn’t such a friggin klutz he would have kissed me.”
“I’m pretty sure he’ll try again.” Wes finally stopped laughing.
“Yeah if he doesn’t think I’m a total freak now.” I moaned.
Clink.
Clink.
Clink.
“What the hell is that?” I got up and walked over to my window to find Frank and Mikey standing underneath it. I pushed it up and leaned out.
“Is there a particular reason you’re throwing rocks at us?” I asked.
“Trying to get your friggin attention. Wanna go see a movie with us?” Frank asked.
“Hell yeah!” Wes answered for me before dragging me down the stairs and outside.
Oh I have a bad feeling about this.
Frank and Wes started sucking face in the back of Mikey’s car immediately, so I took the passenger seat.
“This is disgusting.” I muttered as we walked into the movie theater. They were still attached at the lips.
“Yeah, a bit.” Mikey winced. He looked exceptionally cute today in my opinion.
About halfway through the movie, Mikey did the pretend-stretch-and-put-your-arm-around-the-girl move.
I wasn’t complaining.
I snuggled into him as best I could with the armrest between us.
Maybe Wes was right.
Maybe he really does like me.
My dad was pulling into the driveway when we came back to the house. My mom was in the passenger seat so I jumped out of Mikey’s car and ran over to her.
“Mom!” I hugged her so tight I thought her ribs would crack.
“Easy Em.” She stroked my hair like she used to when I was little. “Hi Wes.”
“I’m glad you’re okay.” Wes gave my mom a hug. Wes practically lived at our house most of the time so they were close too.
“Where were you just now?” My dad asked.
“I went to the movies with Wes, Mikey and Frank.” I hooked my thumb over my shoulder to where the boys were standing awkwardly.
“Which one’s which?” Dad frowned. I waved them closer.
“Mikey Way and Frank Iero.” I pointed them out.
“Oh, you’re Donna’s son. I’ve seen you before.” Mom nodded at Mikey.
“Nice to meet you Mrs. Leeves.” Mikey said politely. Frank just nodded.
“I’ll see you guys later.” I waved goodbye to Frank and Mikey before following my parents into the house. Wes came in a few minutes later after I’d gotten my mom settled on the couch.
“So do they know what happened?” She asked.
“I have a hole in my heart.” Mom said simply. My jaw clanked against the floor.
“What?” I gasped.
“It’s a flap that’s supposed to close when you’re born but mine didn’t. They can fix it. I’ll be okay sweetheart.” Mom patted my cheek. I just hugged her in response.
--
It’s been two weeks since my mom’s surgery and she’s okay now. It was a bit scary seeing her after the surgery when she was still under the anesthetic, but everything’s okay.
Or at least, it was.
For my birthday, Wes and I did our usual birthday breakfast that we got to skip first period for, but Wes was sick so I dropped her off at home afterwards and went to school.
I came home from school and I was just about to put the coffee on for when Mikey came over when my mom came into the kitchen. Her face was drawn and she looked on the verge of tears.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“Your brother’s in jail.” Her voice was soft in the way that you know if you try to be louder you’ll start to cry.
“What? Why?”
“He stole something from work and they caught him. Arrested him right in front of everyone.” She sank down into a chair and put her head in her hands. River’s worked at Guitar Center for years now. Why would he do something so fucking stupid?
I didn’t know what to say, so I did what my family did best.
I pretended everything was okay and went about my business.
Someone knocked on the door at about six o’clock and I stood up to open it mechanically.
“Hey.” Mikey took a good look at my face before asking, “What’s wrong?”
“Nothing.” I left the door open and turned away.
“Don’t lie to me Emmy.”
“Nothing’s fucking wrong with me!” I couldn’t help snapping. “My brother’s in fucking jail on my goddamn birthday, but I’m totally fine!”
“It’s your birthday?” I hadn’t told Frank or Mikey that it was today. I hadn’t bothered.
“Yeah. Now if you would just do me a giant favor and leave me alone for right now it’d be great.”
He did as I asked.
Needless to say I was surprised when he knocked on the door again two hours later.
He was holding a cupcake with a lit candle stuck in it.
“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Emmy, happy birthday to you.” He held out the cupcake for me and I blew out the candle.
“Thank you so much.” I dug my fingernails into my palm to keep from crying.
“No problem.” He was still standing pretty damn close to me. Both of us were just staring at each other.
I couldn’t tell you who moved first.
But in the time it took me to set the cupcake down he had both hands on my hips and he was kissing me.
Oh God was he kissing me.
We finally pulled apart, both of us breathing hard.
“I really, really like you.” He blurted.
“I really, really like you too.” I smiled at his awkwardness. He was so adorable.
“So, go out with me?”
“I’d love to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
My mom did have a hole in her heart, which has been fixed already. My uncle and grandpa had it too actually. My brother has never been arrested, just to clear that up.