Sequel: Like Phantoms Forever
Status: Completed

I Lost My Fear of Falling

Build You Up, Tear You Down

“Hi Mikey.” My mom said from her spot at the counter.
“Hi Mrs. Leeves.” He stuck close to me. Both of us are painfully shy around moms I guess.
“Finally asked my girl out?” Mom said without turning. I nearly choked on the glass of water I’d just poured for myself.
“You must be psychic.” Mikey blinked.
“I just know when my daughter’s happy.” Mom gave him a small smile. “Just remember that you guys are 17 and-”
“Mom. I thought you needed help.” Last thing I need is my mom giving us the sex talk right now.
“Oh that’s right.” Mom seemed to remember what she was doing.
“Go sit down, okay?” I turned back to Mikey. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Night.” He kissed my cheek gently and headed back to his house.
I thought I was in the clear until I came back from taking my dad his dinner on a tray.
I was halfway through my dinner when my mom cleared her throat.
“Emmy, I know your familiar with the sex talk, but do you want to ask me any questions?” I nearly choked on my food. My face flushed bright red and I shook my head hurriedly.
“Mom, we got together last night. We’re not gonna have sex the second we start dating.” I can’t believe I have to talk about this.
“If he’s pressuring you, all you have to say is no.”
Please kill me now.
“I can take care of myself. But thanks.” I put my dish in the sink and high tailed it the fuck out of there.
Wes nearly died laughing when I told her the next morning.
“Your mom thinks you’re a ho!” She giggled.
“Shut up! She doesn’t think I’m a ho! Jesus Christ, we’ve been together for two fucking days. I’m not gonna hop into bed with him in the first goddamn week.” I rested my head against the steering wheel. “This is so messed up.”
Someone knocked on the window and Wes and I both screamed.
I quickly calmed down when I realized it was Mikey and Frank standing outside our car.
“Hi. Didn’t mean to scare you.” Mikey pulled me in for a hug and I subtly inhaled the smell of soap and fabric softener.
Mmmm.
“So how’d it go after I left last night?” Mikey kept me tucked under one of his arms, close to his body. I for one was not complaining.
“She gave me a fucking sex talk.” I grumbled. His face turned bright red.
“Oh.” Was all he had to say. Both of us were purposely not looking at Wes and Frank, who’d started sucking face yet again.
This pretty much left us to look at the ass holes harassing girls in front of the main building or each other.
“So…” He’s so adorably awkward. That phrase comes to mind every time I see him.
“I think our coffee rituals are gonna have to be at your house for a while.” I said quietly. Today was River’s arraignment and my parents were planning on bailing him out.
See, he’s been sitting in the Belleville jail, which isn’t like San Quentin by any means. But after the arraignment you go to County and that’s where all the rapists and crack heads and dangerous people are floating around.
So my family is gonna somehow cough up twenty grand to bail him out. Since my dad’s been on disability I don’t know where the money comes from.
But I know we don’t have much, especially since Forrest is on the other side of the country in college.
“Em?” Mikey was staring at me.
“Sorry, what?”
“I asked if you were okay?” He smiled and pushed his glasses up.
“Yeah. Just spaced for a second.” I put my arms around his waist and squeezed. “Jesus you’re skinny. You make me feel fat.”
“Oh please, don’t tell me you’re one of those girls who are stick thin and think they need to go on a diet. You aren’t fat, I could probably carry you without a problem, and you’re beautiful.” His face turned bright red again.
“You think I’m beautiful?” I couldn’t hide my smile.
“Yeah. I do.” He wouldn’t make eye contact with me, so I stood up on my tip toes and kissed him.
Little did I know that Wes and Frank had FINALLY stopped kissing and saw me do it.
I figured it out as soon as they started cheering and making cat calls.
“Get some Mikey!” Frank yelled.
“That’s my girl!” Wes started clapping.
Mikey and I both blushed and ducked our heads at the same time.
Thankfully the bell rang so we had an excuse to hurry off.
All through class, I admit I was daydreaming about Mikey.
He just….gets me I guess.
I can see myself falling in love with him.
The only problem is- and I may have mentioned this before- I’m afraid to fall in love.
I’ve seen my parents get into some awful fights, seen people’s families fall apart in divorce.
Loving someone gives them the power to build you up but also the power to destroy you.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm on my school's Mock Trial team, in case anyone was wondering where I get my legal facts from. Comment and subscribe, I really do enjoy seeing what you guys have to say.