Sequel: Like Phantoms Forever
Status: Completed

I Lost My Fear of Falling

Halloween

I got home and the first thing I saw was my mom staring into the depths of a mug at the kitchen table. I let my backpack drop against the floor and she looked up.
“Hey sweetheart. How was your day?” She asked, plastering a smile on her face.
“Fine. Is River home?” I didn’t like the look on her face.
“It’s a funny story actually.” Turns out if they can’t arraign you within 48 hours they basically kick you out of jail. They also bumped the charge down from grand theft-a felony- to theft, which is a misdemeanor and a way better charge.
“Well that’s good.” I said, glancing at the clock. I could see Mikey’s car in the driveway next to ours and I wanted to get over there.
“You going to Mikey’s?” Mom guessed.
“Yeah. And before you ask, his mom or his brother are usually there and we get our work done.”
I left out the part that they’re usually not in the same room with us and Mikey has a habit of kissing me while we’re working.
No complaints from this side.
The door swung open just as I was about to knock on it.
“Saw you coming.” Mikey said, holding out a cup of coffee. I inhaled the smell before taking a sip. He’s started putting the cream and sugar in for me before I even get here.
He’s making brownie points by the bushel.
“River’s home.” I told him about the charge being lessened.
“That’s great.” He studied my face for a moment. “But something else is bothering you.” I put a blank face on. What am I supposed to say?
“Hey Mikey, sorry but I’m afraid if I fall in love with you you’ll rip my heart to shreds and burn them in front of me”?
“Nope. I guess I’ve just had a bad week.” I shrugged.
“Well you know Frank’s birthday is this weekend, right?”
“Yeah. Wes and Frank haven’t shut up about it.” The plan was to go trick or treating together.
“I know that they’re gonna do a theme so I was wondering if you wanted to?” He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.
Aww.
“Yeah. We should be Bonnie and Clyde.” I don’t know what made me think of it, but pretty soon we were planning our costumes.
They were gonna be so badass.
--
It was finally Halloween.
Mikey and I had kept our costumes secret from Wes and Frank. We wanted it to be a surprise.
I straightened my blonde page boy wig underneath my beret. I had on a scarf knotted around my neck, a sweater and a pencil skirt. Riding boots that I hadn’t worn in ages rounded out the outfit, along with a fake pistol peeking out of my purse.
Mikey was wearing a suit and a fedora with a pair of dress shoes he’d dug out from somewhere.
“Ready Bonnie?” He asked when I got in his car. We were meeting up at Frank’s house to start trick or treating there.
“Ready Clyde.” I laughed.
Wes opened the door dressed as Red Riding Hood.
Well, if Red Riding Hood had worn a red miniskirt and fishnets.
“I’m assuming Frank is the Big Bad Wolf?” I giggled, taking her in.
“Ms. Bonnie, Mr. Clyde.” Frank nodded at us, adjusting his fake claws.
“Now let’s go get some candy!” Mikey cheered, leading the charge out the door. I just smiled and followed him out onto the sidewalk.
We waded through the sea of fairies, power rangers, witches, wizards and vampires towards the next house.
Some of the houses turned us away, saying we were too old to be trick or treating. We didn’t care. We still had a good haul when we finally headed back to Frank’s house.
“Mikey, will you carry me?” I asked. Now I remembered why I never wore these boots. They hurt like a bitch.
“Hop on.” He had to bend his knees so I could reach, seeing how much taller than me he was.
I rested my cheek against the flat of his back and tried not to enjoy the feel of his hands on my bare thighs so much.
“Wes, is my ass showing?” I asked.
“Depends. Is that red article of clothing part of your costume? Cause if not, then yeah I can see your underwear.” Wes snickered.
“Shit!” I yelped, unlinking one of my arms from around Mikey’s neck to tug at my skirt.
“Damn, and I'm in front of you.” Mikey muttered.
“Shouldn't you be wearing the red panties Red?” Frank asked.
“Quit looking at my ass Frank!” I yelled.
“Who says I'm wearing any.” Wes winked at Frank. “You need to borrow my cape Em? Protect your modesty since I don't have any?”
Frank put his arm around Wes. “We both know I'm going to find out later.”
“So you think wolfie, so you think.” Wes shot back.
“Okay, first off, EWWW. Secondly, yes, I would like your cape Wes.” A simpler solution would have been just to get off Mikey’s back but I didn’t really want to let go of him.
“Okay okay. Lean back and I'll tie it on?” Wes laughed. I leaned back, Mikey leaned back with me and he lost his balance, falling over. He landed right on top of me, forcing all the air out of my lungs.
“Way to squish your girl Mikey.” Frank sounded like he was dying he was laughing so hard.
“Are you okay Em?” Mikey knelt next to me, his face scrunched with worry.
“I swear you two are the clumsiest people I have ever met.” Wes muttered, kneeling on my other side.
“I'm...okay.” I wheezed. The air was slowly returning to my lungs.
“Help her up, for crying out loud. It's a miracle this girl likes you.” Frank rolled his eyes.
“You hush or you really aren't finding out about my panty situation.” Wes elbowed him and he pouted.
Mikey helped me up. “Are you sure you’re okay?”
“A little squished, but luckily you weigh like ten pounds so I'm all good.” I dusted myself up and examined a small scrape on my leg.
“He is a skinny fucker.” Frank laughed.
“Better a skinny fuck than a midget.” Mikey retorted, putting his arm around me.
Wes narrowed her eyes. “That's it mister it's just going to remain a mystery to you.” She started to walk away.
“Fuck you, now look at what you've done.” Frank flipped off Mikey before running after Wes. “Babe...come back here I was just kidding.”
Leaving me and Mikey staring down the sidewalk after them.
“I have a feeling we may have just screwed something up.” I remarked.
“I concur.” Mikey nodded. We started to walk after them, taking our sweet time though. “Sorry I squished you.”
“I’m okay Mikey. Trust me. I have two older brothers; it takes more than one skinny boyfriend to take me out.” Wes and Frank came back holding hands
“Everything okay?” I asked.
Wes smiled. “Yep. Frank kissed his way out of trouble yet again. I swear I need to learn to out argue his tongue.” She grinned wider. Mikey gagged.
“You're just jealous cause you haven't learned how yet.” Frank smirked.
“You sure about that Frank?” I giggled.
“My boy finally grew a pair huh? Knew you had it in you bro.” Frank’s mouth was hanging open slightly.
Wes rolled her eyes. “Boys.”
“And yet we date them.” I reminded her.
Frank eyed Wes. “You really want me to explain it to you, or should I just show you babe?”
Wes sighed, looking at me. “He's lucky it's his birthday.”
Mikey put his arms around my waist. “I know why you date me.”
“And that is....?” I asked.
Wes looked at Frank. “Maybe for once THEY need alone time.”
“You may be right.” Frank chuckled.
Mikey leaned in close to whisper in my ear. “Cuz you’re a sucker for guys with glasses.” He grinned. Wes and Frank gagged in unison.
“You two are way too mushy.” Frank made a face. I flipped him off while I gave Mikey a kiss.
“Aww. They're so cute!” Wes squealed.
Mikey and I finally pulled apart. He smiled down at me. “Come on, I'm freezing my ass off out here.”
“You and Em crashing at my house too tonight?” Frank asked Mikey.
“My anal parents would probably say no. Buuutttt, if Wes covers for me....” I gave Wes a big pleading grin. To my parents, sleeping over at a guy’s house would be a no-no already. Add that my boyfriend is with me and that’s grounds for me being chained to a wall for the rest of my life.
“My parents already think I’m staying at your house tonight.” Wes grinned.
“You devious little person.” I giggled.
She bowed. “Thank you. It takes time and practice.” Frank checked her ass out when she bent over.
“You know if my parents find out they’ll castrate you, right?” I said to Mikey.
“Guess we just need to make sure that doesn't happen then. Mikey call Gee and tell him to tell your mom you're crashing at my house tonight.” Frank said.
“Everyone cross your fingers and pray that my mom buys this.” I dialed my mom’s number.
“Frank can always pretend to be my dad.” Wes offered.
“I do NOT wanna know about your sick fantasies.” I shuddered.
Wes twisted her face in disgust. “EW that was just EW Emmy.”
“Shit we're not THAT kinky.” Frank muttered.
“Key word "that.” Mikey stage whispered. Frank flipped him off again. I got the okay from my mom.
I cuddled closer to Mikey. “Why oh why did I not wear tights.” My legs felt like popsicles.
“Cause we were trying to show off your legs for Mikey?” Wes said.
“You hush it.” I gave her my best death glare.
She grinned. “Oops. My bad.”
“You don’t have to dress up for me.” Mikey whispered in my ear.
“Aww.” Wes smacked Frank. “Why can't you be sweet like that?” She motioned to Mikey.
Frank nipped her neck. “You like me as a bad boy, don't pretend you don't.”
--
“Ahh, sweet warmth. My legs are icicles now.” I said when we got into Frank’s house, which was thankfully heated.
“Hey Mikey I think that's your cue.” Frank said, motioning at me. Mikey spread a blanket across our laps and pulled me closer into his side.
“Better?” He asked. I noticed that Wes and Frank had made a quick exit up the stairs.
“Much.” I leaned my head against him. “Fuck, what the hell am I supposed to sleep in?”
“I have a spare shirt in my car. Want it?” I nodded and he came back with his treasured Anthrax shirt.
“Thanks.” I still had the problem of having no pants, but the shirt was probably long enough to cover all the important bits.
“The blonde wig is throwing me off.” He said, lifting it off for me and running his fingers through my hair.
“Can I trust you not to peek?” I asked.
“Ooh, tough choice.” I swatted at him and he covered his eyes. I had just pulled my shirt over my head when I spotted him peeking between his fingers.
“MIKEY!” I yelled, holding the shirt in front of me.
“Sorry.” He mumbled, covering his eyes again. I saw the grin on his face anyway.
I was right about the shirt covering all the important bits, although barely.
“I’m mad at you now, because you peeked.” I crossed my arms over my chest and frowned at him.
“Can you blame me? It’s every guy’s dream.” He gave me a sheepish look. I couldn’t stay mad at him.
“Fine, fine. We better go to sleep before the thumping and screaming starts.” We threw all the pillows off the couch and got comfy. He had stripped down to his boxers since he had been wearing a suit and I was in the barely covering Anthrax shirt.
Mikey’s arms are perfect for holding. They aren’t bony and they aren’t hugely muscled. They’re just right.
“Night Emmy.” He murmured.
“Night Mikey.” My face was tucked into his neck and I kissed it gently before closing my eyes and snuggling in for one of the best nights of sleep I’ve ever gotten.