The Time Capsule

Chapter Eleven

Amber

When we pulled up to my house, Selena was the first one out of the car. Actually, I think she jumped out before the car even fully stopped. James just sits there, staring ahead at nothing particular. I look over to Greg and he gives me a reassuring smile, “go find her,” he whispers. I nod and step out of the car and heading inside my house.

Nothing really had changed on the outside. The house was still bright red, though the paint was peeling a little. There were still flowers everywhere a big plum tree sitting there in the front.

I open the front door and step in, finding my parents standing there looking stunned. “Hi guys!” I say, waving at them.

My parents smile at me, “did Selena Lawrence just run through the house?” my mom asks.

“yeah, she did. Greg and James are still in the car. It might be awhile before they come in.” I inform them before giving both a hug. “I know we need to catch up, but I really have to talk to Selena.”

They both point upstairs and I follow that direction. I pretty much knew where she would be hiding, since there was only one good spot to hide in this house. We used it all the time while playing hide and go seek, so each of us knew of the space behind my closet. Well, I guess it’s a crawl space, but we literally called it the space behind the closet.

She looks up at me when I move into the small space, “hey.” And with that simple word, her eyes once again focus on the wood floor.

“hey,” I reply, letting her speak at her own pace. That’s something I remember about Selena, we had to be patient to get something out of her.

“I’m acting badly, huh?”

I smile a little, “you want the honest truth?” she nods, “you’re acting like some spoiled bitch. Which the spoiled part might be true, but the bitch part just isn’t you.”

“I don’t know what comes over me. It’s just every time I’m around James, my frustration level instantly increases.”

“You probably don’t want me saying this, but maybe you and James should sit down and talk things out.” I offer quietly.

“There’s nothing to discuss.” her answer was harsh, covering up the sadness that was evident in her voice.

“I know you’re lying, Selena. I’m not saying you have to become best friends again. But this break up sixteen years ago has sure done a lot of damage to you and him.”

Her head snaps up then, glaring at me. I knew those glaring eyes were directed at James and not me. “no damage has been done to James. He’s the same jerk he was back then.”

“are you sure about that? He’s been nothing but nice to you on this trip Selena. Every time he tries to say something to you, you shut him up. I understand that you don’t want to get close to him again. But you can’t keep this inside much longer.”

“you don’t understand anything Amber! How many times do I have to tell you that your little perfect life isn’t anything close to mine?”

“perfect life? I just found out that my so called boyfriend was, maybe still is, engaged to another woman. So don’t talk about perfect life.”

Selena’s face drops a little, “sorry to hear that.”

I shrug it off, though I was still in pain from it. Greg really did help a lot with making me feel better. “That’s not the point Selena,” I tell her, not wanting to focus on my problems quite yet. “you and James were always closer with each other than you were with Greg or I. There’s just something between you that makes you two work. You can tell his emotions without one word out of him. That’s how I know you know he’s sincere in all his actions. He really is trying to work things out with you.”

“That’s just it. I don’t want to work things out with him.”

“then why did you invite him on this trip?”

She stares at me like I’m stupid, “because we made a promise sixteen years ago an-”

I interrupt her, “bullshit. If you don’t care about him, you wouldn’t have cared if he knew or not. you wouldn’t have gone to New York to convince him to come here. You say it’s about the contract, but I know you Selena. You wouldn’t be pushing him away so much if you didn’t still care.”

Selena wipes away a few tears, “can we please change the subject?”

“to what?”

A smile appears on her face, a real actual smile. “to you and Greg. Mind explaining what’s going on there?”

I feel a blush rise to my cheeks, “no-nothing.”

“oh really? I see the way you two act. And that whole switching seats act with me back at the service station. I mean, I don’t blame you Amber. These years sure have done him some good.”

“yeah, they have.”

“and you know, moving down to the beaches of California, that’s what everyone wants, right.” I just nod, not trusting myself to speak. “oh, and think of the kids! They’d be adorable genius’. Not saying you’re stupid, but obviously the smart genes would be coming from Greg.”

I snap out of the trans I was in and playfully shove her, “shut-up! You make me feel like a high schooler again.”

Her eyes widen when I say that, and so do mine. Did I just admit something with those few words? “you, the cheerleader, liked geeky Greg?”

“uh, I didn’t say that.”

“but it was implied”

“just drop it Selena.”

“no, I’m curious now. You are that stereotypical prom queen of high school and you fell in love with your geeky best friend. Sounds like some sappy romance movie.”

“funny thing about those movies, they always have a happy ending.”

“funny thing about life, it’s never some sappy romance movie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT.SUBSCRIBE.BEFRIEND.PROMOTE.
please.
<3 justrealizelife