The Time Capsule

Chapter Thirteen

Selena

“So Selena, what have you been up to over these years?”

I smile politely at Margret. She was great friends with my mom, so I knew she was kept up to date with my activities. I’m currently a lawyer down in Miami.”

“I know that silly! But you’ve only been doing that for a couple years. What about college, internships, parties? Any boyfriends over the years?” I notice James stiffen at ‘boyfriend’ and I start to wonder what’s going through his head. He couldn’t be jealous, could he? “I remember you mom mentioning someone, Rick was it?” Now it was my turn to stiffen. That was a name I was sure I would never hear again. And a name I never wanted to hear again.

“uh, yeah. Rick and I dated awhile back. I guess it’s been about two years since then and I haven’t really had the time to date now with work.”

“Well, hop on it while you can. You’re not getting any younger.” Andrew, Ambers dad says.

“dad!” Amber exclaims, shocked at her fathers words. The rest of us laugh at her reaction, “you’re not allowed to say things like that. Especially when we’re all single. Well, except for James, but he doesn’t exactly count.”

“Hey! I take offence to that!” James defends, and we all look at him with raised eyebrows.

“as you should James. I didn’t mean it as a compliment.”

James glares at Amber, “weren’t you the one to say we were going to drop this topic?”

I decide to interrupt their argument since this was also a subject I wanted to ignore. I don’t need to hear about James’ sex life anytime soon. “you’re right Andrew, I should get back out there. I just haven’t found a guy who doesn’t mind how much time I haven’t to spend at work.”

I swear I heard James say “I wouldn’t” but when I look up at him he was eating and not looking at me. I swear I must be sick or something. James Watson wouldn’t be saying things like that, not to me at least.

Margret turns to Greg next, “and Greg, still choking up around girls?”

“As shy as ever. Well, except for these two beautiful women.” Greg answers and I notice Amber blush. His compliment was nice and all, but it wasn’t something I’d blush over, so it’s obvious she feels something towards him.

“well that definitely narrows down your choices.” Margret winks at Greg and he just laughs. It was obvious which of the two she was talking about.

It was Andrews turn, since I think Margret refused to talk about James’ dating habits. It’s always something she disliked about that boy. “Still the same old smooth talker James?” I crack a smile, enjoying the way Andrew phrased the question.

“Actually, I’m currently trying to settle down. It’s just complicated at the moment since the girl knows about my past. She doesn’t exactly trust me yet.” James glances my way but keeps his focus on Andrew at the end of the table.

That sick feeling of butterflies appears in my stomach. Why did he have to be talking about me? Of course, it’s possible that it’s someone else, but I highly doubt that. Not many girls know about him being a player. Amber smiles knowingly at me and I glare back. Unlike her and Greg, I didn’t want James to like me. I’d rather him never talk to me again then for this torture.

“Flowers always work. That’s a tip for you too Greg. Flowers.” Andrew tells them both.

The guys laugh, “I don’t exactly think that’ll work in this situation. I already told her sorry and-” I fiddle with my charm bracelet as James and Andrew talk about how to get me to forgive James. Without using my name of course.

After dinner and a couple more hours of talking, we got settled into our bedrooms. There was a knock on my door and Greg steps in, “Hey Greg.” I say, putting down my book.

“Hey, do you know where Amber is? She’s not in her room.”

I look at him curiously, “and why exactly do you need her at one in the morning?”

He glances down to the floor, “uh, just wondering. Unlike you, she’s not one to run off often.”

“Try the treehouse, that’s the most likely option.” He nods and turns to leave, “oh, and Greg? If you hurt her, I’ll find a way through all of that damn security of yours.”

He smiles but that quickly fades into a frown. Without warning he closes the door and walks over to the bed, taking a seat. His face was serious now and I was sure I wouldn’t like the direction of the conversation. “we would have been there for you Selena. If you had told us the slightest bit of what happened, we would have supported you. I would have even beat him up if you wanted me too…I still will.”

I laugh at his last comment, “I’m sure you’d have better luck now than back in high school. Now, stop worrying about me and the past. It’s over with. Go win the heart of the girl out there.”

He stands up and heads for the door once again, “don’t push him away too much Selena, he’s one of the only people who really understands you and you need those type of people in your life.” With those last words, Greg walks out of my room and closes the door.

I shut off my light and try to get some sleep. Today has been quite crazy, and it’s only the beginning of the trip. It’ll be another three days before we reach my parents house, another three days before we find out what we thought sixteen years ago.
♠ ♠ ♠
When I'm writing, I feel like this story is going to fast. But once I read it again, I feel like it's just right. What do you all think? Should I slow it down some...speed it up...keep it where it is...thoughts?
Comment.Subscribe.Befriend.Promote.
Please.
<3 justrealizelife